Sb reef lights vs hydras

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not a fan of puck reef light so my vote goes to sb reef. Puck style light will produce very intense light (densely packed in a small foot print) and better shimmer but not so good in coverage (due to cone shaped light output). On the other hand, grid/matrix type lighting offers the best coverage. If properly spaced (led bulbs) and equipped with diffuser lenses, it can penetrate deeper (good intensity) without disco effects. I built my own light based on grid/matrix design and I couldn't be happier.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 SB Reef 16" over my 75g. I ended up pulling the lenses off of all of the red, green and warm white, and most of the cool white. All blues still have lenses. Cut down on the disco ball effect I was getting, still have decent shimmer and light penetration. It's a very lightly stocked tank, as it's mainly fish only. The few corals and BTA I have in there are doing well. I focus all my coral attention to my nano. Seriously, I test water in my nano every other day, can't tell you the last time I tested my 75g...

rockstarta78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using the SB Reeflight 32" Timer over my tank for past 6 months. I don't have any other lights to compare against. But fwiw, I like the light. I think it's very powerful. Mine is only 10" above the water, I plan on changing the mounts and go about 12" above the water for better spread. I never used AI lights so I can't tell you if this one is better or worse. I like the looks of these name brand lights. They look very slick. I don't know about light spectrum differences between name brand vs SB. I am happy with my light. For the price, you can't beat SB Reeflight. And they just came out with a newer model, which is being launched at MACNA. From the looks of it, I really like the new design.

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 SB Reef 16" over my 75g. I ended up pulling the lenses off of all of the red, green and warm white, and most of the cool white. All blues still have lenses. Cut down on the disco ball effect I was getting, still have decent shimmer and light penetration. It's a very lightly stocked tank, as it's mainly fish only. The few corals and BTA I have in there are doing well. I focus all my coral attention to my nano. Seriously, I test water in my nano every other day, can't tell you the last time I tested my 75g...

My 75G is 19" deep, so no lenses required. Zero disco effects and local reefers was thinking I am on T5. Wrong! I am on cheap 110cm length LED, all chinese parts. And the shimmer is a surprise.

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run my IM Fusion 20 under a 16" Pro w/timer. I like how simple and straightforward the light is and how powerful it is relative to how much I paid for it. That being said, I'm still going to end up getting something with a bit more functionality as soon as I am finished with grad school. I've been looking at the Maxspect Ethereal, AI Hydra 52, and of course Radions because I want something with built in ramping as well as something that isn't so big and mounts from the rear of the tank. The legs on my unit really get in the way plus they are ferrous instead of aluminum so magnets and saltwater love to interact with them. I know the owner of SB Lights personally since they are based in Pensacola and he's the owner/operator of my LFS; he sells a good product, but even the new lights he's come out with are not really meeting the needs or expectations I have for lighting. That being said, I probably get 1-2mm of growth a week on my Acros with this light so it's definitely up to the task. I imagine I would be able to have a better experience if I hung the lights instead of using the legs, but having a cat and living in an apartment prevent me from doing so.

IMG_20170610_143908_179.jpg

JAMSOURY

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I've been using the SB Reeflight 32" Timer over my tank for past 6 months. I don't have any other lights to compare against. But fwiw, I like the light. I think it's very powerful. Mine is only 10" above the water, I plan on changing the mounts and go about 12" above the water for better spread. I never used AI lights so I can't tell you if this one is better or worse. I like the looks of these name brand lights. They look very slick. I don't know about light spectrum differences between name brand vs SB. I am happy with my light. For the price, you can't beat SB Reeflight. And they just came out with a newer model, which is being launched at MACNA. From the looks of it, I really like the new design.

Awesome! Anywhere we can see the new lights? So, I'm guessing to best to wait until MACNA to buy lights?

rockstarta78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They look good! Any thoughts on them?
I haven't seen one yet. So can't really comment on them. however, from what the site says, and previous experience with the older lights, I think this would be a good light. I like my current light. The only complaint I have is, it's not visually the prettiest fixture on my tank. In that sense the new light looks more slick. IMHO I think this would be a good light.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 74 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%

Back