SBB 275 Auctions plus 160 Fresh corals - Going on now!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 3, Members: 0, Guests: 3)

robanister

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kung fu dip it.
giphy.gif

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@billyocean speaking of kfc dip… he mentions the diluted (bubble bath) HP dip as part of a pre/post wash.

Zero_Cool

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need some help. I am fighting a losing battle with aiptasia. Not a massive, full blown infestation but enough that I am not able to keep up with the Joe's Juice method of eradication. What has worked for you?

I have tried:

Berghia - not sure if these became a snack for the Melanarus wrasse or not. I could get some more and put them in the refugium. There is aiptasia for them to eat there and maybe get them to reproduce.

Peppermint Shrimp - more of an annoyance to the LPS by stealing their food than aiptasia eaters.

Copperband Butterfly - have tried 2 and couldn't get either to eat due to aggression from the 4 tangs in the tank. Both were smaller specimens (1.5 and 2 inch) in an attempt to not look like a threat to the tangs so have wondered about going with a larger one.

I am now researching a Filefish but read that they are prone to nipping at corals as well.

Suggestions?

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Need some help. I am fighting a losing battle with aiptasia. Not a massive, full blown infestation but enough that I am not able to keep up with the Joe's Juice method of eradication. What has worked for you?

I have tried:

Berghia - not sure if these became a snack for the Melanarus wrasse or not. I could get some more and put them in the refugium. There is aiptasia for them to eat there and maybe get them to reproduce.

Peppermint Shrimp - more of an annoyance to the LPS by stealing their food than aiptasia eaters.

Copperband Butterfly - have tried 2 and couldn't get either to eat due to aggression from the 4 tangs in the tank. Both were smaller specimens (1.5 and 2 inch) in an attempt to not look like a threat to the tangs so have wondered about going with a larger one.

I am now researching a Filefish but read that they are prone to nipping at corals as well.

Suggestions?
the nudi's most definitely got taken out by the wrasse. i would take the wrasse out momentarily and reintroduce more nudi's. mok-yi(inappropriatereefer) had to do the same recently.

sevenx7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a filefish that was the best aptasia eater, and then when they were gone were the best LSOH and GMK eaters even though he was heavily fed.

He's in another reefers tank now eating aptasia there but guess whats back in my tank after he left!

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have tried:

Suggestions?
Favorite method is a CBB but if your tangs are bullies then it may not be in the cards. When introducing have you tried any tang tricks like a mirror? Also, have you ever tried F-aptasia? Similar application process to Joe’s difference being that it dries hard over the mouth (lowering chance of spreading). I’ve had success but need to be extremely careful only to get it on the aptasia (no flow while applying and while it is hardening)

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Loudwolf Sodium hydroxide at 40 grams per 500 ml. Mix in glass container like Mason jar outside. Fumes are stout during mixing so don't breath them and when mixing it gets hot. Let it sit for a bit before use. Apply with syringe no needle and cover the aptasia. Turn off all flow for 15-20 minutes. Warning....it WILL kill anything you put it on. Works on zoas if they are over ran too
@Zero_Cool

Zero_Cool

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the nudi's most definitely got taken out by the wrasse. i would take the wrasse out momentarily and reintroduce more nudi's. mok-yi(inappropriatereefer) had to do the same recently.
Hadn't thought about removing the wrasse.
I had a filefish that was the best aptasia eater, and then when they were gone were the best LSOH and GMK eaters even though he was heavily fed.

He's in another reefers tank now eating aptasia there but guess whats back in my tank after he left!
That's my fear with it going after corals. Tank is big so getting any fish out once it goes in is a challenge.
Favorite method is a CBB but if your tangs are bullies then it may not be in the cards. When introducing have you tried any tang tricks like a mirror? Also, have you ever tried F-aptasia? Similar application process to Joe’s difference being that it dries hard over the mouth (lowering chance of spreading). I’ve had success but need to be extremely careful only to get it on the aptasia (no flow while applying and while it is hardening)
Tangs were not super aggressive as far as physical damage but more psychological with chasing the little guys. Did not add any mirrors so can try that if I go that route again. I do really like the CBB and would like to have one anyway but just not sure how I feel about the low success rate for survival of these.

I used Joe's Juice and then concentrated kalk to inject over them. Burned several corals in the process and can't reach many of the aiptasia on the backside of the rockwork. Haven't tried -Aiptasia yet.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Tangs were not super aggressive as far as physical damage but more psychological with chasing the little guys. Did not add any mirrors so can try that if I go that route again. I do really like the CBB and would like to have one anyway but just not sure how I feel about the low success rate for survival of these.
definitely put some small mirrors around the tank. in time perhaps the psychological warfare will lower. think of it as a plan b in the event you take out the wrasse to reintroduce more nudi's and they aren't working. in this case perhaps the tangs will be more open to a new addition of another CBB.

sadrobotz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
does anyone here happen to have a used ATO they are looking to get rid of, preferably a tunze? mine pooped the bed and I am unable to figure out how to get it working, i have tried cleaning the sensors, resetting, etc., it just will not work anymore :(

Thuan

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0

I have tried:

Suggestions?
All mine are gone. My 180 had huge ones. I think its more of the 17 peppermint I threw in there. It was gone within a week. I can get you in touch with my buddy phil. He can ship you some peppermints, big ones too. $8 ea

Zero_Cool

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All mine are gone. My 180 had huge ones. I think its more of the 17 peppermint I threw in there. It was gone within a week. I can get you in touch with my buddy phil. He can ship you some peppermints, big ones too. $8 ea
How do you get rid of the Peppermint shrimp once the aiptasia is gone?

evilexotica

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have tried:

Suggestions?
I made a low voltage electric zapper years ago that worked well

stoney7713

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I have peppermint shrimp with wrasses and they don't actively hunt them. I see the shrimp out at night and hiding during the day.

The one shrimp that went for a ride in the overflow I dropped into the tank, and that one did get ate.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 122 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.6%
Back