4 Gallon Oceanbox designs Pico-s Fragtank

sevenx7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I've had this lil fragtank sitting around for a while and since I needed to start one why not now?
After a large spend on the Sbbcoral sale this week I decided I needed a holding station for them while I cycle my new tank which STILL needs to be moved in, Thats another build threat that will move soon...

At 12x12x7.25 and a approx 11x8 display area this should work pretty well! I'm going to throw on a Prime 16HD, and maybe a tiny nano powerhead in there but its got a Sicce Nano in there for flow, maybe throw in a VCA for some random flow.

Its pretty close to one of my other tanks and I was thinking I dont have to but a whole new Apex for this to monitor, I can maybe have it running temp and PH with a PM1 module and maybe a EB4 or EB8 and an inkbird...We will see! I already have a EB8 buuuuut

might have to figure out a lil ATO for it but thats all this weekend. I ordered a self leveling mat and am looking for the fragracks now!

OP
OP
sevenx7

sevenx7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lil waterstained now but when the mat comes in it should be ready to get wet since I tested for leaks!
IMG_6780.jpg

OP
OP
sevenx7

sevenx7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, Tonight's the night we threw some water in there....

AAAAAAAND the file cabinet its on isn't level and the self leveling mat didn't compensate (Which it really wouldn't)

So turned off the flow and I'll move the cycled media in there tomorrow after I buy some wood to level out the file cabinet on wheels (Office furniture type stuff so the wheels are pretty good) But I dont want to risk it and have a blown seam...

Lights are on and its ready for its media as soon as I move the media over!

Frag rack in the process, Were moving along!

Next step Frag racks and RFG for the Sicce nano! and hopefully no water on the floor overnight!

New pic!

Attachments

• IMG_6798.jpg
    IMG_6798.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 24
OP
OP
sevenx7

sevenx7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So in a strange turn of events, This tank is being replaced with ANOTHER 4 gallon tank with a more modern design! Should be here this weekend! Still continuing to cycle the tank with some BioMedia I've had running for about a year and doing a fishes cycle with more bacteria just in case. Hopefully I can hit the ground running pretty quickly! Stay tuned!

OP
OP
sevenx7

sevenx7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A question for everyone, I need a wavepump for the 4 gallon (will disclose which soon!) and I wanted to throw a wave maker in it. I see a lot of people using Jaebos but is there any value in a Nero 3? Can I put one in a tank thats small? like can i lower the power by a lot, since I want something I can reuse later and thats DC...

I have MP10's but I dont think I wanna go with that in there either. Just looking for opinions!

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woah cool! I have an Oceanbox Design 1.1 pico! I didn’t even know they had a larger tank. But, I’m no in the market so I’m not browsing :)

Looks sweet! I’ll follow along

OP
OP
sevenx7

sevenx7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, that's why I switched to another tank that's the same size after I set it up.Im just waiting for it to come in!

I don't know why they say that, as I think 1/4" should be able to handle 4 gallons...But when I saw that, I realized something must have happened since it was once advertised as a display.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, that's why I switched to another tank that's the same size after I set it up.Im just waiting for it to come in!

I don't know why they say that, as I think 1/4" should be able to handle 4 gallons...But when I saw that, I realized something must have happened since it was once advertised as a display.

They also took off any links to it on their website. You can find the page by googling, but I don’t see any way to find it from the home page or through navigating click by click

OP
OP
sevenx7

sevenx7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a pic of it running til the new tank gets here and I can swap everything over!

Wednesday cant come soon enough! Decided on a Hygarr DC Mini Wavemaker, was going to get the Sicce voyager nano but this ones even smaller and takes up less space!
IMG_6843@0.5x.jpg
IMG_6844@0.5x.jpg
IMG_6845@0.5x.jpg

Jim Gomoll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might want to be careful, appears these might not be designed to be used long term

9F12FBC7-8DC9-4CF3-9920-5116A6745B89.jpeg
Check out Tenecor Aquariums.
They have small AIO tanks and DIY options you build yourself.

Jim Gomoll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mini Wave Maker
Found this budget Mini wave maker for small desk top tanks.
ZKSJ Mini Slim Wave Maker
$44 from Amazon or $29 from AlieEpress with around 2weeks shipping time.

Just started playing with one for a DIY pico I'm building. Moves water. Max 2000L/528GPH, 10speeds/4patterns
Only down side is there is not a timer but easy enough to add one.
1712677345553.png

OP
OP
sevenx7

sevenx7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mini Wave Maker
Found this budget Mini wave maker for small desk top tanks.
ZKSJ Mini Slim Wave Maker
$44 from Amazon or $29 from AlieEpress with around 2weeks shipping time.

Just started playing with one for a DIY pico I'm building. Moves water. Max 2000L/528GPH, 10speeds/4patterns
Only down side is there is not a timer but easy enough to add one.
1712677345553.png
This looks exactly like the Hygarr with a different controller!

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out Tenecor Aquariums.
They have small AIO tanks and DIY options you build yourself.

I already have a pico all in one, take a look and let me know what you think

Jim Gomoll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already have a pico all in one, take a look and let me know what you think

That is a tiny one. Cool and compact and I like how everything is hidden underneath.

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was actually started a thread but was looking at a return that is a wave maker. Just for ideas. Really liking tge AI.

OP
OP
sevenx7

sevenx7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was actually started a thread but was looking at a return that is a wave maker. Just for ideas. Really liking tge AI.

Interesting! I was just going to use this sicce nano I had but I wonder if there’s a DC version return that’s tiny enough! I have a RFG on the way but since there’s a bit of sps in here I think I need a small wave maker as well. I might grab the hygarr just for the controller since I have a gift card I can use but I think it’s a way better option than the Nero 3 because I don’t think I can get the Nero 3 low enough to not be destructive in the 4 gallon. Then if both are DC I can back them up with a dc battery setup!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 124 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%

Back