SBB - 275 Auctions up now + 80 WYSWYG Corals. Click now to Join!!!!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

ReeferZ1227

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking back this is about the best I can get. Definitely lesson .5 swing for me.
IMG_1107.png
Some reefers woul be happier with the smaller swings like you have. I personally believe that higher pH = higher growth, obviously higher pH with less swing is even better, but i think a monster fuge or 2 systems on opposite schedules is really the only way to get there.

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its just the mere fact you have a metric boatload of flow and your allowing the coral to be happy, which becomes a positive feedback loop of additional consumption.

At least thats my interpretation. More flow = more growth = higher pH. The air exchange contributes but if you shocked your coral from a swing you'd see your 8.5 turn into 8.2 with all other variables the same.
I'm still not getting the alk/ph correlation aside from that corals grow faster when the PH is higher.

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My solution would be kalk at night but I haven't crossed that bridge. If I ho put of down and there are no dogs or people around for a week....alk consumption goes crazy with higher ph

ReeferZ1227

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My solution would be kalk at night but I haven't crossed that bridge. If I ho put of down and there are no dogs or people around for a week....alk consumption goes crazy with higher ph
I dose it around the clock. I started going a little heavier after ramp down when my ph started breaking 8.3 to try and help er out on the swing since peak was peaking. It's just so gosh dang simple. I've never once had to add calcium by itself in over 3 years. Im nearing my evap rate, so ill either have to increase AFR or add baked baking soda into the mix.

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already bought all the stuff to dose kalk at night, I'm waiting to use it for when my alk/cal consumptions gets higher. I have almost no coraline, so that keeps my alk/cal consumption down less than if my tank was covered in pink/purple.

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose it around the clock. I started going a little heavier after ramp down when my ph started breaking 8.3 to try and help er out on the swing since peak was peaking. It's just so gosh dang simple. I've never once had to add calcium by itself in over 3 years. Im nearing my evap rate, so ill either have to increase AFR or add baked baking soda into the mix.
I use soda ash. My dose is much less at night and higher during the day when they consume alk. It eats roughly 3dkh a day right now

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already bought all the stuff to dose kalk at night, I'm waiting to use it for when my alk/cal consumptions gets higher. I have almost no coralie, so that keeps my alk/cal consumption down less than if my tank was covered in pink/purple.
Daily dose mag and it will explode your corraline

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too many asterina's. I may get a harlequin shrimp one of these days. My magnesium is typically around 1350-1400
I only test Mg like 1-2 times per month and the dose right afterwards if necessary. I should probably test it more often.

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only test Mg like 1-2 times per month and the dose right afterwards if necessary. I should probably test it more often.
What I mean is....dose like 20 ml a day or so and your mag probably won't even go up and it will explode the corralline

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it’s hard to choose, but if you could only choose one, what would your favorite SBB coral be?

Mine has to be the Care Bears.
Care Bears as well. I’d love to see a tank with just CB in it from end to end

ReeferZ1227

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only dose like 150ml per month, so maybe I'll try 5ml per day and see what happens. Do you have those little asterina starfish too?
I have chunks of coraline, my tank for some reason has been nuts with it since early on.

I kept losing mid-range zoas and seeing asterinas on them in the AM. My harlequin has been wreaking havoc on them. Havent lost any zoas since.

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have chunks of coraline, my tank for some reason has been nuts with it since early on.

I kept losing mid-range zoas and seeing asterinas on them in the AM. My harlequin has been wreaking havoc on them. Havent lost any zoas since.
The only place I have Coraline is on the powerheads and some snail shells. I’m assuming it’s because that’s where the asterinas can’t get to

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 87 42.2%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 101 49.0%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 4 1.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 3.4%
Back