SBB- Spring Fling Blowout

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 9, Members: 0, Guests: 9)

robanister

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trust the process…
IMG_3059.jpeg
For a min I thought you used those huge cutting boards at hd for your top lol

Zero_Cool

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for that pic! I’ve been looking for Radions in canopies and it’s not that common. So you’re essentially doing my idea with that RMS track. I have the option to mount the track on top or the underside of the canopy like yours. I haven’t decided yet.
With a 30 inch wide SPS tank I think I would’ve gone perpendicular with the XR30s. I’m not sure what to do with 24” from to back.
My T5 panel (because of the canopy design) is positioned a little bit more towards the back of the tank and there’s definitely better color and growth on the back side of corals. I’d rather have that towards the front!
Top view of what I’m working with.
IMG_2137.jpeg
I would agree regarding the orientation of the lights. Had I to do it over I may have gone that route. Essentially I have 24x30x25, 24x24x25 and a 24x30x25 areas to cover. I could have turned the outside lights perpendicular but my borderline OCD would not allow me to do so. The orientation that they are in now allows me to add the Quanta bar(s) without much headache.

How tall is the canopy? How high do you want the lights off the water surface? That may determine how you mount the RMS bar.

My canopy is 10" tall from tank rim to top of canopy (made of 3/4 plywood). I have the RMS bar bolted trough the canopy lid with a 1" spacer between it and the canopy (the curved edges of the RMS bar come to .5" from the underside of the canopy). After using the RMS brackets the lights are about 8" from the water surface.

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would agree regarding the orientation of the lights. Had I to do it over I may have gone that route. Essentially I have 24x30x25, 24x24x25 and a 24x30x25 areas to cover. I could have turned the outside lights perpendicular but my borderline OCD would not allow me to do so. The orientation that they are in now allows me to add the Quanta bar(s) without much headache.

How tall is the canopy? How high do you want the lights off the water surface? That may determine how you mount the RMS bar.

My canopy is 10" tall from tank rim to top of canopy (made of 3/4 plywood). I have the RMS bar bolted trough the canopy lid with a 1" spacer between it and the canopy (the curved edges of the RMS bar come to .5" from the underside of the canopy). After using the RMS brackets the lights are about 8" from the water surface.
The very top of my canopy is 14" off the top of the glass and 15.5" above the water surface, also 3/4" wood. I'm not sure how high I want the lights off the surface yet. I don't know if this matters or not, but I can't support the RMS track in the middle like you did. I hope that plastic is rigid.

ReeferZ1227

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In regards to Icons, I have a giant T5 panel now and kinda want something different, so small and “sexy” (for lack of better words). I have a canopy so shouldn’t care that much about that but would also like more space in there to get my head under the lights for those top down views.
In regards to the Reefi, it looks to me like some small time company and not sure where they are made.

Also I’m taking mounting into consideration. The top of my canopy is open so kinda like the shape of a picture frame. I think I could put one of those RMS tracks on top of the canopy or screw it underneath and easily add Radions to it.
The founder of reefi is a former intel engineer. Active on FB daily, both times ive directly reached out response within hours. About 9 months problem free with my 3 units. I wish he had the same product but in a larger form factor. Power is pretty insane. 3 year warranty is the cherry on top.

On another note, id look at mitras a little closer for g6 money.

Zero_Cool

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The very top of my canopy is 14" off the top of the glass and 15.5" above the water surface, also 3/4" wood. I'm not sure how high I want the lights off the surface yet. I don't know if this matters or not, but I can't support the RMS track in the middle like you did. I hope that plastic is rigid.
The RMS rail is aluminum and typically supported only by the ends with the tank mounts. I probably over built it. Plus yours will only be 48" so les flex than th 72" l used.

ReeferZ1227

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cut beveled edges for my g4s in 3/4 ply, was able to get a clean flush mount and just laid them in there. For the reefis i made a little box, mounted the reefi to the box then placed the box in the canopy.

Flush mount is a good bit more appealing. The bigger cutout, with box offers some flexibility to move the box/light around to address needs as you populate the rockwork with coral too. Just some thoughts. Ventilation is important.
1000035514.jpg

1716572339913.jpeg

1000035516.jpg

Last edited:

6t4nova

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Yes! Love them!!!

1716568488046.gif
How many did you get and what size tank?

I've been considering saving the coin and switching the new tank to LED's. It has 2 - 250W halides on it now with reefbrite blues to accent. However the halides are heating the tank up quite a bit and I have to run the chiller during the afternoon to keep it from getting too hot.

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The founder of reefi is a former intel engineer. Active on FB daily, both times ive directly reached out response within hours. About 9 months problem free with my 3 units. I wish he had the same product but in a larger form factor. Power is pretty insane. 3 year warranty is the cherry on top.

On another note, id look at mitras a little closer for g6 money.
Good to know about reefi, that would make me feel more comfortable. Another big factor for me is the mounting considering that I have a thick EuroBrace and a canopy.

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cut beveled edges for my g4s in 3/4 ply, was able to get a clean flush mount and just laid them in there. For the reefis i made a little box, mounted the reefi to the box then placed the box in the canopy.

Flush mount is a good bit more appealing. The bigger cutout, with box offers some flexibility to move the box/light around to address needs as you populate the rockwork with coral too. Just some thoughts. Ventilation is important.
1000035514.jpg

1716572339913.jpeg

1000035516.jpg
Nicely done!
I have a big opening in the top of my canopy.
IMG_2137.jpeg

ReeferZ1227

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know about reefi, that would make me feel more comfortable. Another big factor for me is the mounting considering that I have a thick EuroBrace and a canopy.
Believe the recommended reefi mounting is with standard aluminum track. Theres free 3d printable mounts for both the lights to the track for sure, and from the track to the tank/wall to integrate with standard aluminum track (3 most common sizes IIRC).

One item to consider if you do take it into further consideration is the powerblocks are serious chunks of weather sealed PSU. Heavy/beefy so something to consider from a where to mount perspective.

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Believe the recommended reefi mounting is with standard aluminum track. Theres free 3d printable mounts for both the lights to the track for sure, and from the track to the tank/wall to integrate with standard aluminum track (3 most common sizes IIRC).

One item to consider if you do take it into further consideration is the powerblocks are serious chunks of weather sealed PSU. Heavy/beefy so something to consider from a where to mount perspective.
Good to know, I could essentially mount the Reefi the same way as Radions with the track. I see lots of pictures of the aluminum track, but am I overlooking where to buy it?

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone did a Radion vs Reefi comparison. Skimming through, it seems that the reefi has more of pink hue and more disco effect. But, they are also much less expensive and have really good par.

Baby_Shark

King of shark week!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many did you get and what size tank?

I've been considering saving the coin and switching the new tank to LED's. It has 2 - 250W halides on it now with reefbrite blues to accent. However the halides are heating the tank up quite a bit and I have to run the chiller during the afternoon to keep it from getting too hot.
I got two atlantik icons on a 5 foot tank and two orphek or3 light bars. Its close to 100% coverage.

IMG_8237.jpeg

ReeferZ1227

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone did a Radion vs Reefi comparison. Skimming through, it seems that the reefi has more of pink hue and more disco effect. But, they are also much less expensive and have really good par.
I saw this post a while back, i dont buy it. Daniel (reefi owner) even called out some of the mixing nonsense in the later posts.

It has 4 now 5 lenses:
60 - must order
90 - comes installed
90v2 - recently released - mixed reviews
120 - comes in box
160 - no lense

I run the 120s so i get more glare but I get pretty even par and good spread. Keep in mind g6s are like 130 degree throwing light everywhere andnhes comparing uno 2.0s on 90 degree lenses which dont produce glare standing next to the tank, impressive IMO.

The reefi mounts are available on that big 3d print website, the track is standard aluminum track you can source anywhere i dont think reefi sells it.

ReeferZ1227

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know, I could essentially mount the Reefi the same way as Radions with the track. I see lots of pictures of the aluminum track, but am I overlooking where to buy it?
1000035524.jpg

The pink hue is somewhat a thing, all channels maxed out its bassically ab+ but slightly oranger, it kind of feels more authentic tbh. I turned light bars and radions off DT, reefis at peak (40% overall, all channels 100%) frag tank is AB+ g4 nonpro. WB at 8k or so, no camera filter.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 70 44.3%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 74 46.8%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 8.9%
Back