SCA 90 Gallon "Cube" Build

Bret

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After being out of the hobby for many years, a trip to Hawaii last year sparked the desire for a new tank. Fast forward almost 12 months and I am finally starting the build.

Tank is a 90 gallon SC Aquariums "cube" (36x24x24), and I'm building a custom steel stand.
Tank 2.jpg
Tank 3.jpg

Tank arrived a couple weeks ago. Still don't have it out of the box, but looks to be in good shape.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice! I had that same tank...but had to sale it to get the red sea 750 but I do miss it.

once thing I would conciser since you're "handy" would be to drill the tank for ext. overflows on the 3' tank that overfow box is huge and I was never really satisfied with my scape. just a thought.

I took a weling class decades ago in high school have been tempted to go to youtube university...lol and try a metal stand myself.

keep the updates coming!

OP
OP
Bret

Bret

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, building steel stand yourself with all these nice tools. U got some skills.
The right tools are everything with fabrication. I just built that welding table for this project. was tired of doing everything on the floor. Having an elevated, and more importantly, flat surface make a huge difference.

OP
OP
Bret

Bret

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice! I had that same tank...but had to sale it to get the red sea 750 but I do miss it.

once thing I would conciser since you're "handy" would be to drill the tank for ext. overflows on the 3' tank that overfow box is huge and I was never really satisfied with my scape. just a thought.

I took a weling class decades ago in high school have been tempted to go to youtube university...lol and try a metal stand myself.

keep the updates coming!

I considered the external overflow, and I guess it still not completely out of the equation. It's just hard to justify the added work and expense for the extra real estate.
I'm planning an opposing teardrop shaped aquascape, I think it will fit fine, but we'll see how it goes, just ordered my first batch of dry rock off Amazon...

I would definitely pick up a mig welder and start practicing. If not just for a stand, it's a great skill to have. Harbor Freight's Titanium line is inexpensive, and decent starter machines.

OP
OP
Bret

Bret

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stand is almost done...
Going to add a Starboard false floor that will be slightly recessed below the lip of the bottom tubes. It will be siliconed in to catch an spills. Will also add a rack within the stand to hold my chiller, and additional Starboard shelves for supplies.

I used 1.5x2" .120 wall tubing for the top that will support the tank. everything else is 1.5" square .095 wall. The false floor is supported by 1" square .095 wall.
Dimensions are 36.25 long, 24.5 wide and 36.125 tall. A sheet of 3/4 ply will sit on top for a total height of just under 37".
IMG_1240.JPG
IMG_1241.JPG
IMG_1242.JPG

Bosreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know that stand ain't going anywhere thats peace of mind I would pay for. Good luck with rest of the build

OP
OP
Bret

Bret

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the support everybody.
DIY stands are the way to go, this is my third one. The commercially available stands look nice, but generally are pretty inferior from a longevity standpoint, especially for the price most of these companies want for them.

OP
OP
Bret

Bret

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Side project while I wait for more parts to arrive...
Anyone guess what it is?
IMG_1247.JPG
IMG_1248.JPG
IMG_1249.JPG
IMG_1250.JPG
IMG_1251.JPG
IMG_1252.JPG
IMG_1255.JPG
IMG_1256.JPG
IMG_1257.JPG
IMG_1258.JPG
IMG_1259.JPG

OP
OP
Bret

Bret

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my first batch of dry rock. Bulk foundation rock from Amazon. Reviews were mixed to pretty good, so I figured I'd give it a shot.

Packaging was minimal, plastic bag with some thin foam in a box:
IMG_1269.JPG

Minimal breakage though:
IMG_1270.JPG

The loot prior to washing:
IMG_1271.JPG
IMG_1272.JPG
IMG_1273.JPG

After pressure washing:
IMG_1274.JPG

Total dry weight was 44.2 lbs for the 4 washed pieces (advertised as 40 lbs). its not the most interesting or low density rock, also seems fairly soft and fragile compared with typical Fiji, but will work well for the foundations of my structures, and can't beat the price at $55 shipped.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.3%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back