• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Scammed

Please read here before posting. Outside comments are not permitted per R2R's feedback forum policy. This is to allow the buyer and seller to have a streamlined conversation and hopefully come to a mutually satisfactory resolution in a negative transaction. If you would like to contribute your own feedback experience with either the buyer or seller, you may do so by creating your own feedback thread. Only the thread starter and vendor will have posting access. Thank you.

sternla

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any ramifications when people scam you here? I sent a poster money in exchange for an apex dos. They had pics of the item but maybe they just grabbed those from eBay. I have not heard from the poster since the money has been sent. And of course no apex dos received. Any suggestions on Contacting moderators etc? Or is there nothing that they do? Are users banned for scamming ? Should other users be warned about this person?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Are there any ramifications when people scam you here? I sent a poster money in exchange for an apex dos. They had pics of the item but maybe they just grabbed those from eBay. I have not heard from the poster since the money has been sent. And of course no apex dos received. Any suggestions on Contacting moderators etc? Or is there nothing that they do? Are users banned for scamming ? Should other users be warned about this person?
@revhtree

Pay with Paypal only in which you can file easy dispute. other is to file chargeback with your bank if credit card was used

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would warn others and post the name they gave you and account name. This happened to me on here too and a few others.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you follow the rules and only send payment through PayPal (NOT friends and family)?

If not, you're on your own.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thread 'Please remember that sellers on R2R are NOT allowed to ask for unprotected forms of payment (PP friends & family, unprotected Venmo payment, etc.)' https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/p...-family-unprotected-venmo-payment-etc.922149/

OP
OP
S

sternla

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you follow the rules and only send payment through PayPal (NOT friends and family)?

If not, you're on your own.
Unfortunately not. I’m pretty new here and was oblivious to that. So a hard lesson learned. I did a couple of other transactions here before that and those went fine. We had trouble getting my payment to go through to the person and I had to try a different payment method before it worked. This was Venmo and it bills to my checking account. Unfortunately.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately not. I’m pretty new here and was oblivious to that. So a hard lesson learned. I did a couple of other transactions here before that and those went fine. We had trouble getting my payment to go through to the person and I had to try a different payment method before it worked. This was Venmo and it bills to my checking account. Unfortunately.
The rules are posted at the top of each selling sub-forum... Sorry you skipped past them.

OP
OP
S

sternla

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a list of known scammers here that people can consult or add to?

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Report the selling post and the user will get banned. Lots of scammers out there. If you are going to use these money transfer apps, be sure you know how to stay protected. Never pay by friends and family on PayPal if you don't know the person.

Zero_Cool

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately not.... This was Venmo and it bills to my checking account. Unfortunately.
I would head over to your bank and look into securing your checking account or opening up a new one. You may have also inadvertently provided access to your account for a larger scam/theft than just this transaction.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would immediately change a bunch of passwords, and possibly your bank account numbers.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 44 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 156 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.0%
Back