• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Scamming point of sale

Ryan Kraft

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys watch out for this piece of garbage scamming you.

Christopher Benson aka reefsteve

I was looking to buy power supply for my lights. Received a pm from a user named reefsteve saying his friend Christopher had power supply for sale. After about several emails the guy said he would only do PayPal F&F. I was in such a hurry to get this power supply cuz I had no lights on my tank that I sent him the money. Ended up that he did not send me the tracking number like you said he would. I asked for my money back also sent to PayPal requests for return of the money and he's gone ghost...Email was Christopherbenson283@gmail.
So just watch out for this piece
And if anybody here knows him please give me his address.

Last edited by a moderator:

_AV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Such person does not exist and never did. Read through this thread for many more examples of this scam:

Last edited:

Roli's Reef Ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys watch out for this piece of **** scamming you.

Christopher Benson aka reefsteve

I was looking to buy power supply for my lights. Received a pm from a user named reefsteve saying his friend Christopher had power supply for sale. After about several emails the guy said he would only do PayPal F&F. I was in such a hurry to get this power supply cuz I had no lights on my tank that I sent him the money. Ended up that he did not send me the tracking number like you said he would. I asked for my money back also sent to PayPal requests for return of the money and he's gone ghost...Email was Christopherbenson283@gmail.
So just watch out for this piece of ****.
And if anybody here knows him please give me his address.
Sucks man. What kinda P/S do you need?

CCK_8814

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 89.5%
17   2   0
Power supply for Mazarra Maxpect. They have been discontinued so they are not easy to find
Can you find a similar rated one on Amazon and just swap the ends if needed to work with it? I’ve done that in the past with older lights and pumps. Long as the amps & voltage match there’s no issue.

OP
OP
Ryan Kraft

Ryan Kraft

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry this happened to you. Unfortunately it is a known scam across multiple different hobbies.
Lesson learned. I was in such a panic because I needed lights that I just rolled the dice on this one.

OP
OP
Ryan Kraft

Ryan Kraft

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you find a similar rated one on Amazon and just swap the ends if needed to work with it? I’ve done that in the past with older lights and pumps. Long as the amps & voltage match there’s no issue.
I have friends that have similar power bricks to this but the voltage are off. It's not anything where I could use a universal adapter or anything like that. It's got its own specific wire running from the P/S to the light. I wish it was that easy. Thank you though.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Can you post a picture of the label from your P/S, perhaps we can point you to a replacement.

OP
OP
Ryan Kraft

Ryan Kraft

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• 20220326_115010.jpg
    20220326_115010.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 31
  • 20220328_150256.jpg
    20220328_150256.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 30

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
So it looks like a power supply providing 13.5VDC, rated up to 210W

Something like below would work, but would have to be mounted away from water splashing on the unit due to its cooling design - it's even beefier as it goes up to 320W so it would run cooler at lower demand.

This one is also 13.5VDC up to 300W

Looking at the pictures you've provided the aluminum enclosure was designed and manufactured by Maxpect. Does the faulty power supply slide out? That itself may have part numbers listed on the unit which you can search for. Take a look.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 8 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 29 60.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.2%
Back