• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

PSA: Exercise caution when posting Wanted To Buy Threads

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please be aware of scammers trying to steal money from members.

Users who post wanted to buy ads receive a PM from a new, or newer account with no posts on the forum.
The PM looks something like this;
20200424_171122.jpg

1621285347519.png

1688656237901.png

Update: New messages are having members text a phone number. Anytime a third party is involved avoid at all costs!

It will always be a third party member that you have to contact through email or text message.

In short, the email or text will have you PayPal, cashapp, venmo (ect...) them the money (likely asking through Friends and Family, or another unsecured means) and then vanish never to be heard from.

We are doing our best to ban all these accounts but we need your help.

Should you receive a PM similar to this, or if you suspect a scam, please report it to a member of the moderation team.

Thank you and stay safe!
Crabs

Last edited:
OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bumping again as we had another one this afternoon.
Reminder if you get a PM like this from another member report it to R2R staff immediately.

Thanks!

Crabs

crezguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too got this one. Unfortunately I fell for it. But only saviour is I did through Goods and services as I feel suspicious. PayPal got back the money for me.

Message I received

'I purchased some stuff from Rich some days ago and Reefled 90 is among what he showed me that he wanted to part out with. Maybe you should contact him to know if it is still available.. His email is [email protected]'

OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Email came from user Germantown001. But user was not found
I cannot find it either, user may have already been caught and banned. But thanks for sharing :) glad you were able to get your money back. helps bring more awareness to other users.

Eric aaa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please be aware of a scam that has been popping up more as of late.

Users who post wanted to buy ads receive a PM from a new, or newer account with no posts on the forum.
The PM looks something like this;
20200424_171122.jpg

It will always be a third party member that you have to contact through email.

In short, the email will have you PayPal them the money (likely asking through Friends and Family, or another unsecured means) and then vanish never to be heard from.

We are doing our best to ban all these accounts but we need your help.

Should you receive a PM similar to this, or if you suspect a scam, please report it to a member of the moderation team.

Thank you and stay safe!

Crabs
Thank you it's been a while since I've been n r2r. Just been trying to find a pistol shrimp, they seem impossible to find right now!! :(

_AV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another hit on my ad today:
1621285347519.png

User registered 3 hours before my WTB post, which suggest he was likely already active with others before me.

OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another hit on my ad today:
1621285347519.png

User registered 3 hours before my WTB post, which suggest he was likely already active with others before me.
Make sure to report the message to a current moderator so they can ban the account

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I've had one definite and one possible scammer reply to my wanted ad in the last 48 hours.

Wanted ads are notorious for being feeding grounds for scammers, so be extremely careful!

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a similar PM a few days ago. Hallhomes was the username. [email protected] was the email address I was directed to contact.

OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a similar PM a few days ago. Hallhomes was the username. [email protected] was the email address I was directed to contact.
Report the PM so the mods can ban the account if you haven't already

_AV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had another fun altercation with a scammer. This one went into a lot more trouble pretending to be legit.
PM came from a legit r2r member since 2011 with over 7000 messages in response to my WTB ad for an EB832:

$150 each, shipped. Comes with one AquaBus cable.

This is too much for a broken unit, so replied clarifying that I'm looking for a broken one and those he has are likely in a working order

He responded almost immediately:
Of course they are in working condition.

No problem.

I kept playing along and said that I'm only interested in broken equipment.
He responded again:
There are 4 broken ones.

That's great, I offered him a good price for all four. He agreed and I asked for his paypal.
Things finally started getting interesting:
My Paypal account was closed for selling guns.

I can get paid with Zelle, Cashapp, crypto.

I told him I don't have any of these but will look into it. He replied:
Thanks.

[he provided a link to legit zelle page here]

Check your bank and lmk.

Notice that his English is fairly good so far, uses typical acronyms, etc. Aside from a couple of odd statements...
At this point its game over. None of the proposed payment options have buyer protection. I looked up his profile, which is impressive given that the member has 7000 messages on this board and is a member since 2011.

The only problem is that this member last posted anything meaningful in 2017 and then again yesterday, just 20 minutes after an update to my WTB and before contacting me he posted two for sale ads and a couple of meaningless responses to random threads.

So just for fun I responded asking to provide some pictures of the four units he is selling with a paper that has his username handwritten on it.

He responded:
Ok, how are you going to pay?

Sure, I said. I'll find a way to pay, just get me the pictures.

And again from him, finally in some odd English clearly no longer copied from his playbook:
I will send you a picture user my friend.

What are you worried about?

At this point I just flat out told him that I'm worried that he is a scammer who hijacked a legit user account. Then reported him.

His final response:
Dude I'll send you a picture, what a ridiculous answer.

All of this over a $300 scam. They must be getting really desperate over there...

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 34 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back