Scape too high? Too low? Or just right?

How many percent of the tank's height should be the scape?

• 25%

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • 37.5%

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • 50%

Votes: 10 26.3%
  • 62.5%

Votes: 16 42.1%
  • 75%

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • 87.5%

Votes: 3 7.9%

• Total voters

reefinginBD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys? I’m setting up a 5 feet long mixed reef tank. The height of the tank is 2 feet (24 inches). There will be about an inch or inch and a half gap on top and I will also have around 1.5-2 inches of sand. It will be a mixed reef tank, I will have some sps coral but I do not plan on making it sps dominated. So, I was wondering how high should my scape be. Choose how high you would want yours to be in the poll. I will also show a few pics of the scapes I made. Please do not mind the background and all, I will give better pics next week once it cures.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys? I’m setting up a 5 feet long mixed reef tank. The height of the tank is 2 feet (24 inches). There will be about an inch or inch and a half gap on top and I will also have around 1.5-2 inches of sand. It will be a mixed reef tank, I will have some sps coral but I do not plan on making it sps dominated. So, I was wondering how high should my scape be. Choose how high you would want yours to be in the poll. I will also show a few pics of the scapes I made. Please do not mind the background and all, I will give better pics next week once it cures.
If you're planning on having SPS (i assume on top?) then you need to consider the growth pastern of these. Under the right conditions, they can grow quite tall- so account for that.

I would leave at least about 1/3 of the height of the tank clear on top- possibly more if SPS. Leaves some room for decent flow over the top as well as swimming room for the fishies.

This, and there's just something very pleasing about the "rule of thirds" :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

On a different note; I have a nano tank with a scape coming out of the top. I think it looks cool; and one of my emerald crabs loves to chill on the top of the rock from time to time! But that's a a completely different tank..

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built mine to 70% 2 1/2 years ago and regret making it so high.

The few SPS I started with are crowding the fish.

I'd stay at around 50% of the height.

OP
OP
R

reefinginBD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're planning on having SPS (i assume on top?) then you need to consider the growth pastern of these. Under the right conditions, they can grow quite tall- so account for that.

I would leave at least about 1/3 of the height of the tank clear on top- possibly more if SPS. Leaves some room for decent flow over the top as well as swimming room for the fishies.

This, and there's just something very pleasing about the "rule of thirds" :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

On a different note; I have a nano tank with a scape coming out of the top. I think it looks cool; and one of my emerald crabs loves to chill on the top of the rock from time to time! But that's a a completely different tank..
Yeah I plan on having some sps corals but not a lot. I mainly want corals that flow a lot, so mainly lps and some meaty corals as well. I have made a scape and it covers about 65% of the height of the tank, If needed I can bring it down a little more to about 50-55%. I have tried to use the "Rule of thirds" But Im not sure how well it is. Im going to post some pics of the scape, so do let me know how to improve it! Its my first aquascape and I'm pretty happy with it. If I had a shallow tank I would definitely have the rock sticking out of the water surface so that I can see crabs and all. It sounds really cool!

OP
OP
R

reefinginBD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built mine to 70% 2 1/2 years ago and regret making it so high.

The few SPS I started with are crowding the fish.

I'd stay at around 50% of the height.
I dont plan on keeping many sticks like acros but Im sure Ill have montis. My tank will mostly have corals with a lot of movement, so euphyllias and meaty corals. My scape covers about 65% of he height of the tank, but I can bring it down to 50-55% if needed. I am posting a picture of the scape, so do let me know!

OP
OP
R

reefinginBD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_9486.jpeg

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would actually say build low, bottom third, have one or two higher sections, and fill the rest in with life.

OP
OP
R

reefinginBD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the scape, dont mind the carpet and the background, but the carpet and the cardboard signify where the glass of the tank starts and all. It also shows the height go the aquarium compared to the scape.

OP
OP
R

reefinginBD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would actually say build low, bottom third, have one or two higher sections, and fill the rest in with life.
Ah yeah I kinda wanted to do that, then it would be much more open. But I would also like to have arches and all, so do let me know how this scape looks and if I should make it lower or not. Also let me know how to improve this scape.

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah yeah I kinda wanted to do that, then it would be much more open. But I would also like to have arches and all, so do let me know how this scape looks and if I should make it lower or not. Also let me know how to improve this scape.
I think that'a a perfect start right there. Anything else might look too cluttered or may not allow enough room for future growth.

OP
OP
R

reefinginBD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oooo really? You think so? This is my first scape and I'm pretty proud of it! It covers about 65% of the tank height on the right side, so should I lower that by a little more to about 50-55% of the tank's height or is this fine? Do let me know!

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oooo really? You think so? This is my first scape and I'm pretty proud of it! It covers about 65% of the tank height on the right side, so should I lower that by a little more to about 50-55% of the tank's height or is this fine? Do let me know!
What are your stocking choices as far as corals go? Euphyllias will look fantastic on that island on the left, Plating montipora should be placed mid height on the right, with anything branching above that, Acans, scolys, mushrooms, and the like will welcome the shade of a plating monti and should be placed below it.

OP
OP
R

reefinginBD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your stocking choices as far as corals go? Euphyllias will look fantastic on that island on the left, Plating montipora should be placed mid height on the right, with anything branching above that, Acans, scolys, mushrooms, and the like will welcome the shade of a plating monti and should be placed below it.
That’s pretty much my plan. I’ll keep whatever you mentioned above. I would like to keep a plating montipora on the rock in the middle. That is like a ledge, it may not be visible in the picture tho. I will keep most of the sps on the rock in the far right, so that will be mainly reserved for sps. Everything else will be on the other rocks. I would also really like to keep a gorgonian in the middle.

OP
OP
R

reefinginBD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that’s pretty much what I want to go for. The area that is marked red in the middle will have the montipora and the area right above marked blue, I would like to keep a gorgonian there. The island on the left will mainly have euphyllias and maybe some meaty corals. The rest will be on the lower rocks on the right.

Mr. Roboto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well honestly I just increased all of the numbers by 12.5 percent, so it came up to that haha. Let me know how my scape is and how to improve it please!
I like what you have in the above photo. I wouldnt go over 50% but if you want to poke a little upward of 62.5, I see no reason not too... You said you were not doing that many SPS but over time Colts, Sinularias and Toadstools and stuch can become massive and tall. I would not want to crowd the upper portions too quick.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back