Scape too high? Too low? Or just right?

How many percent of the tank's height should be the scape?

• 25%

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • 37.5%

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • 50%

Votes: 10 26.3%
  • 62.5%

Votes: 16 42.1%
  • 75%

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • 87.5%

Votes: 3 7.9%

• Total voters

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_9486.jpeg
That looks good, but dont forget to consider flow and keep everything at least 10cm (4 inch) from the glass for cleaning and to get hands in...

OP
OP
R

reefinginBD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks good, but dont forget to consider flow and keep everything at least 10cm (4 inch) from the glass for cleaning and to get hands in...
Yeah I have about 3-4 inches from about most sides except from the back where the overflow will be. So I was I’ll try and change the scape up a little, maybe I’ll break up some of the base rocks and do that.

OP
OP
R

reefinginBD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like what you have in the above photo. I wouldnt go over 50% but if you want to poke a little upward of 62.5, I see no reason not too... You said you were not doing that many SPS but over time Colts, Sinularias and Toadstools and stuch can become massive and tall. I would not want to crowd the upper portions too quick.
Yeah that’s what I was worried about. I might try and lower the scape by a little bit, since I’m kind of worried that the scape will be too high.

OP
OP
R

reefinginBD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea the percent on mine, but it's a 24" tall tank with the highest part of the scape at about 16"-18" - so 70%ish?
My tank is the same height and my scape is a little lower than 16 inches (around 15 inches). I calculated it from the water level which would be around 23 inches so 16 inches would put it somewhere along the lines of 68-70% and mine would be around 65%.

Do let me know if you have any problems in general with the coral growing too close to the surface or anything. Also if you don’t mind can you send me a picture of your tank before adding corals and what it looks like now.

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is the same height and my scape is a little lower than 16 inches (around 15 inches). I calculated it from the water level which would be around 23 inches so 16 inches would put it somewhere along the lines of 68-70% and mine would be around 65%.

Do let me know if you have any problems in general with the coral growing too close to the surface or anything. Also if you don’t mind can you send me a picture of your tank before adding corals and what it looks like now.
Don't have any pics handy, but it's a relatively new set up, so there's not coral covering the rockscape yet. I'll try to remember to post a pic later this evening.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 33.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.7%
Back