Scarily fast tank cycle?

Mp.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had my 5 gal pico set up for 2 or 3 days and used 25 percent already cycled water. When i tested today on a brand new test kit everything was perfect. Is this feesible at all or did i get a fluke test kit?

OP
OP
Mp.

Mp.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have crabs and snails in there and phantom fed both nights @iamacat

iamacat

Higher than my pH
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so you have a 5g pico and with crabs and snails. Is there rock, sand? Was the rock live?

OP
OP
Mp.

Mp.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so you have a 5g pico and with crabs and snails. Is there rock, sand? Was the rock live?
Rocks and coral pebbles already in there too. One rock was live and the other 2 were dry

iamacat

Higher than my pH
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol okay so there are a lot of articles on cycling. There will be someone here in a bit that will carry you off into the sunset of cycling rules and guidelines.

you need to add bacteria to your sunstrate(rock). Then add ammonia chloride to the dose on the bottle of bacteria. Get a seachem ammonia badge. Check the badge in a couple days, if it’s yellow and zero add more ammonia. If it clears in 24-36hrs you are good to go.

iamacat

Higher than my pH
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4B4C6C1E-F280-4058-A507-DF7FC53B84A6.jpeg

Just so ya know I am going through the same procedure. I just started my 75g in October and was successful with microbacterxlm to cycle. I’ve had a bucket of small rock in a bucket running with a heater and pump, about 20 days of the bacteria cycling in the bucket. I used the rock for fragging in my 75 with plans to use some for the pico.
The pico cycled in 5 days. If you cycle in the pico like I did in the bucket you will still be okay. Just when you add critters you will need to be careful with too much at once.

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5g. I wouldn’t even bother with a true cycle, just not enough water volume to affect anything and you have some live rock already. Put a clown in it and add corals in a like a week or 2.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here's how to tell if its cycled, yes moving a decent chunk of live rock from one tank to another does not kill the bacteria:

did your rock from from another reef or holding vat that had coralline, animals, fish preferably swimming in it

if so you skip cycled, which is what macna conventions do to start 400 reefs on time for 30 years.

some people call dry rock live, because it eventually will be, so we need to know its simple origin.

you don't add ammonia or bottle bac to live rock, because you pay for skip cycle rock if its live.

bottle bac and ammonia can go into suspect source rock, dry, unknown etc. but to add things to a true live rock skip transfer is total reefing malpractice heh.

OP
OP
Mp.

Mp.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here's how to tell if its cycled, yes moving a decent chunk of live rock from one tank to another does not kill the bacteria:

did your rock from from another reef or holding vat that had coralline, animals, fish preferably swimming in it

if so you skip cycled, which is what macna conventions do to start 400 reefs on time for 30 years.

some people call dry rock live, because it eventually will be, so we need to know its simple origin.

you don't add ammonia or bottle bac to live rock, because you pay for skip cycle rock if its live.

bottle bac and ammonia can go into suspect source rock, dry, unknown etc. but to add things to a true live rock skip transfer is total reefing malpractice heh.
It was live rock from my own other system that has fishes alive and well in it

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

validation :)
thirty pages of skip cycling

dieoff happens when ocean rocks are mailed to us

tank transfer skip cycles simply do not die off, they transfer unlimited number of times. If you took the same rocks and built a new skip cycle reef every morning for ten years, they still work just the same. It’s a tidal simulation, they’re ready for it. Any reef convention ever made was ran by scary fast skip cycles.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on the size of your live portion. 25% live 75% dry is still a skip cycle setup because in a tank that small enough water contacts live rock and the rest catches up in twenty days or so by contact

OP
OP
Mp.

Mp.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on the size of your live portion. 25% live 75% dry is still a skip cycle setup because in a tank that small enough water contacts live rock and the rest catches up in twenty days or so by contact
Just out of curiosity do you think me adding already cycled water also had something to do with the skip cycle?

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef water always has filter bacteria swirling in it no matter what forum rumors say. it varies tank to tank with skimming, current, filtration schemes etc

rapidly mixing water 24 x 7 will always shear off live rock bacteria to be transported around by the water, but your live rock is like a football field of holding places all scrunched up like a wad of paper, that’s orders more bacteria due to surface area, not that reef water is free of it

reef water helped you 5% due to low contact surface area and depending on live rock ratios that helped 95

post pics

OP
OP
Mp.

Mp.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef water always has filter bacteria swirling in it no matter what forum rumors say. it varies tank to tank with skimming, current, filtration schemes etc

rapidly mixing water 24 x 7 will always shear off live rock bacteria to be transported around by the water, but your live rock is like a football field of holding places all scrunched up like a wad of paper, that’s orders more bacteria due to surface area, not that reef water is free of it

reef water helped you 5% due to low contact surface area and depending on live rock ratios that helped 95

post pics
Ah yes i forgot to post a pic last time you had asked sorry about the quality !!! When i measured it was about 6.5 pounds of live rock

Attachments

• 20210106_181408.jpg
    20210106_181408.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 27

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back