Scheduled Power Outage

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My electric company called and said they are scheduling a power outage this Friday when I’m at work... they said it won’t be longer than an hour.

All of my equipment should turn itself back on without issue when power comes back, but is there any need to worry about an outage of an hour or less? Bacteria should be ok? Oxygen depletion issues?

Any insight is appreciated. It just stinks to get a last minute call like this knowing I’ll be at work.

starypotter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't say about O2 levels or anything like that without knowing how stocked your tank is, the size of the tank, stuff like that and for an hour it sounds like it would be fine, I just wouldn't necessarily trust them to actually get it back in an hour. But I can say to try to make sure you add a foam blocker to any wavemaker you have in the tank so no fish can get inside if you can. There have been horror stories of fish getting caught on or in them when the power goes back on so if you know it's going to happen seems reasonable to take a bit of a precaution for that.

Peter K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would double check ahead of time that your power bar turns back on automatically if the power goes out (flip your breaker off and on). Certain surge protectors / energy bars need to be manually turned on like the belkin one I have and unless you have a float switch controlling your skimmer I would just leave that unplugged for the day so it doesn’t overflow when the power does come back on.

OP
OP
JaaxReef

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would double check ahead of time that your power bar turns back on automatically if the power goes out (flip your breaker off and on). Certain surge protectors / energy bars need to be manually turned on like the belkin one I have and unless you have a float switch controlling your skimmer I would just leave that unplugged for the day so it doesn’t overflow when the power does come back on.

I’ve checked them in the past, so I should be ok. I’ll double check again though. It never hurts.

I’m most worried about oxygen too... My house isn’t too cold so I doubt it will drop the temp fast.

OP
OP
JaaxReef

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't say about O2 levels or anything like that without knowing how stocked your tank is, the size of the tank, stuff like that and for an hour it sounds like it would be fine, I just wouldn't necessarily trust them to actually get it back in an hour. But I can say to try to make sure you add a foam blocker to any wavemaker you have in the tank so no fish can get inside if you can. There have been horror stories of fish getting caught on or in them when the power goes back on so if you know it's going to happen seems reasonable to take a bit of a precaution for that.

My wavemaker has a guard on it so it should be fine. Thanks for the insight!

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We had a unexpected Power outage this morning. It went out at 5 am and I did not start generator until 9am.. Power was restored at 1 pm .. Tree fell onto neighbors service and took out transformer and main street wire. So a few hours you should be fine.. To test that things come back on Flip your main breaker and wait a few minutes then flip it back.. See how the tank reacts ...

Our Generator is Manual .

OP
OP
JaaxReef

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Power outage lasted 25 minutes. No issues. They said up to an hour and it wasn’t nearly that. [emoji106]

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back