Schmitty's 130.4 Waterbox Build Progress

schmittym7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey folks, between my wife, 3 little kids, a Siberian Husky and our Maine Coon( RIP as a few days ago, sad to say) , I finally have time to write this and begin jotting down my mixed reef tank journey! I need to put this on paper somewhere to keep track of everything as I'm starting to forget where I leave off at times. As most are aware, Waterbox likes to put their buyer through a cycling process and I've begun to grow green algae. Just kidding, a quality product takes time and I've read these tanks are worth the wait. Or maybe it is just a beginners lesson in patience.

Anyway, product wise, here is where I am at so far:

Ordered and awaiting:
Waterbox 130.4
Lighting - 2 Radion XR15
Return pump - Ecotech Vectra S2 DC Pump
Flow - 1 Ecotech MP40 (will be ordering another to have 2)
ATO - XP Aqua Duetto
Utility Pump - Siccee Ultra Zero Utility Pump
Filter Socks - extra set

Still Need to Order: (open to suggestions)
RODI System (either 4 stage or 5..unsure)
RODI Water Storage Containers - Brute cans most likely.
Mixing Salt - ? I like the pharma grade one brs recommends but hard to find.
Refractometer - ? probably the one from brs
Test Kits - Prob Red Sea kit
Flow - 1 cheaper version just to mix saltwater etc. plus 1 more Ecotech MP40 for tank.
Heaters - ? brs or cobalt? also one on the low end for RODI
Skimmer - most likely the Nyos Quantum 160
Substrate - most likely live sand either Carib Sea or straight from aqua farm
Rock - live rock from KP Aquatics or SRB.
Baffle - at some point
Backup Battery - ? most likely the ecotech
Power Board etc.
Small Generator

As you can see I still have a lot to purchase.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice

Oregon Grown Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey folks, between my wife, 3 little kids, a Siberian Husky and our Maine Coon( RIP as a few days ago, sad to say) , I finally have time to write this and begin jotting down my mixed reef tank journey! I need to put this on paper somewhere to keep track of everything as I'm starting to forget where I leave off at times. As most are aware, Waterbox likes to put their buyer through a cycling process and I've begun to grow green algae. Just kidding, a quality product takes time and I've read these tanks are worth the wait. Or maybe it is just a beginners lesson in patience.

Anyway, product wise, here is where I am at so far:

Ordered and awaiting:
Waterbox 130.4
Lighting - 2 Radion XR15
ATO - XP Aqua Duetto
Filter Socks - extra set

Still Need to Order: (open to suggestions)
RODI System (either 4 stage or 5..unsure)
Mixing Salt - ? I like the pharma grade one brs recommends but hard to find.
Refractometer - ? probably the one from brs
Test Kits - Prob Red Sea kit
Flow - 1 cheaper version just to mix saltwater etc. plus 1 more Ecotech MP40 for tank.
Heaters - ? brs or cobalt? also one on the low end for RODI
Baffle - at some point
Power Board etc.
Small Generator

As you can see I still have a lot to purchase.
As far as the RODI, I'm a firm believer in getting the BRS Pro 7-stage unit, with the water saver upgrade. You'll want to get a booster pump too, but I found the same exact pump on Amazon for cheaper. I have extremely clean water in my area (tds around 20), and I still use the 7-stage for peace of mind. You never know what they have to put in the water depending on the changing quality of incoming water throughout the year.

I also don't like messing around with cheap refractometers. I used them for a couple of years and got livid every time I had to check salinity because I'd have to recalibrate it 5 times just to make sure I was getting an accurate reading. Either get the Milwaukee digital refractometer, VeeGee (a lot of people like this one), or if you have the money a Misco Seawater refractometer (what I now have). I calibrate the Misco once per use (a couple presses of a button) and I can trust that I'll have the most accurate info I can.

As far as salt, it really depends on what parameters you want to keep your tank at. For what I like it at, I use Red Sea Blue Bucket. It mixes clear as long as you pour it in slowly and is consistent. They also provide you with a code so you can see what your batch tested at. It's not the cleanest salt as it's actually made by pumping water from the red sea into vats and then evaporated. The way I see it though, whatever is in there is in the ocean and there are some remarkable reefs there. They're actually researching corals there because they do extremely well amidst extreme temperatures. Fritz blue box is also a good one. I've used it in the past, but I switched back to red sea because I like it so much.

OP
OP
schmittym7

schmittym7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as the RODI, I'm a firm believer in getting the BRS Pro 7-stage unit, with the water saver upgrade. You'll want to get a booster pump too, but I found the same exact pump on Amazon for cheaper. I have extremely clean water in my area (tds around 20), and I still use the 7-stage for peace of mind. You never know what they have to put in the water depending on the changing quality of incoming water throughout the year.

I also don't like messing around with cheap refractometers. I used them for a couple of years and got livid every time I had to check salinity because I'd have to recalibrate it 5 times just to make sure I was getting an accurate reading. Either get the Milwaukee digital refractometer, VeeGee (a lot of people like this one), or if you have the money a Misco Seawater refractometer (what I now have). I calibrate the Misco once per use (a couple presses of a button) and I can trust that I'll have the most accurate info I can.

As far as salt, it really depends on what parameters you want to keep your tank at. For what I like it at, I use Red Sea Blue Bucket. It mixes clear as long as you pour it in slowly and is consistent. They also provide you with a code so you can see what your batch tested at. It's not the cleanest salt as it's actually made by pumping water from the red sea into vats and then evaporated. The way I see it though, whatever is in there is in the ocean and there are some remarkable reefs there. They're actually researching corals there because they do extremely well amidst extreme temperatures. Fritz blue box is also a good one. I've used it in the past, but I switched back to red sea because I like it so much.
thank you for the advice and suggestions!

OP
OP
schmittym7

schmittym7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very excited///finally received the text I been waiting for!!!! Delivery of my tank will be this Thursday!!!!!

OP
OP
schmittym7

schmittym7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick update on products:
Ordered and awaiting:
Waterbox 130.4
Lighting - 2 Radion XR15
ATO - XP Aqua Duetto
Filter Socks - extra set
RODI System - 5 Stage Premium Plus 75 GPD RO/DI System - Bulk Reef Supply
Refractometer -BRS Supply
Test Kits - Red Sea Combo Kit
Heaters - 200W Titanium Aquarium Heater System - WiFi Inkbird- Bulk Reef Supply
- 200W Titanium Heater Element - Bulk Reef Supply (redundancy)

Still Need to Order:
Mixing Salt - Tropic Marin pro reef
Baffle - at some point
Power Board etc.
Small Generator

OP
OP
schmittym7

schmittym7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About a month. I placed my order the evening of Jan. 13th and I'm receiving it this Thursday. I also ordered many of the other equipment such as extra socks, lights, pumps etc,. It all ships together as one. I was hoping I would have received the other items a bit earlier. I don't regret it though as I'e heard they are worth the wait.

OP
OP
schmittym7

schmittym7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I was supposed to receive my waterbox 130.4 this morning between 8-10am today. 10:30 came and went. I called Fedex and asked for a status update and mentioned as of this morning, this was showing to be in transit. I was advised it changed from 2-6pm. I told the csr thats not right as Fedex had me choose this slot. I also have no status updates stating as such. The transferred to the local terminal, received the run around and told it wasn't there, then told to pick it up as an option later today, mentioned to the woman, it is 600+ lbs and I drive a Kia. Finally a manager on the phone from Fedex, pretty much told me the same and that they did not make scheduled deliveries. Finally feeling defeated, said ok, I want it first thing tomorrow morning between 8-10am, then told no, they cannot guarantee that, maybe late afternoon or evening. I asked what does maybe even mean, tomorrow is not definite? They said yes. I called Waterbox and advised of the delivery issue. Emailed a support ticket of the incident. This started at 10:30am this morning and now 2:31 in the afternoon. I have no idea when and if my 130.4 will be delivered tomorrow. This is a nightmare, lost time, money, time off from work and labor from a couple friends who were at my home early in the morning.

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ugh...complete bummer! Good luck with a delivery tomorrow. I've never heard of FedEx delivering such a large shipment before. My IM 100g came by truck freight...cannot recollect the carrier, but I had to do some calling as well.

OP
OP
schmittym7

schmittym7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ye
Ugh...complete bummer! Good luck with a delivery tomorrow. I've never heard of FedEx delivering such a large shipment before. My IM 100g came by truck freight...cannot recollect the carrier, but I had to do some calling as well.
yeah it is fedex freight...long story short, they tried subbing it to a third party carrier this morning that never showed. Still no status updates from anyone...stinks.

OP
OP
schmittym7

schmittym7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So finally able to get the stand finished. Looks beautiful, great quality, sturdy and extremely durable. Directions, could be better but overall not that bad. Went to check the stand to be sure it was level, perfect right out the gate! Door hinges were not that bad with one slight adjustment on the right door, easy fix after watching the video. Overall not that bad, took a while but looks amazing! It is on carpet though and the doors are a bit sluggish to open and shut, but workable and fine.

OP
OP
schmittym7

schmittym7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After placing the tank on the stand, I noticed the front bottom panel looks like black caulk or whatever you call it is gapped from tje bottom up. Not sure if this is a defect or normal. I'm hesitant to continue putting this together as I'm not sure. It also looks like glue from the tape or wrap stuck to tje glass and looks like scratches but ruled them out. What does everyone use to clean their starfire glass with?
20210212_203043.jpg
20210212_203040.jpg
20210212_203046.jpg
20210212_203012.jpg
20210212_203021.jpg

OP
OP
schmittym7

schmittym7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The build is coming along nicely after a great talk with waterbox this morning. No issue on what I thought was a possible defect. The plumbing is done, sump in, Vectra S2 return pump is in. Now to do a leak test.
20210215_144545.jpg

OP
OP
schmittym7

schmittym7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Sicce Ultrazero is a beast! Highly recommend. Pumped with 65 feet of garden hose without a problem to the sump in my basement. I also tested it to 25 feet down from the tank across the floor then up to my kitchen sink with a 50 foot hose no problem. This pump is strong. I will be using this pump in the reverse to fill my tank and also handle water changes working with the Python no spill n clean system. A garden hose also works very well.
20210215_180730.jpg

OP
OP
schmittym7

schmittym7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ro/di station up and running, making water. A bit ugly at the moment but will be rearranging down the road.
20210215_223010.jpg

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 33 52.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 35 55.6%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 13 20.6%
  • None.

Votes: 14 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 7.9%
Back