School of Chromis?

buckroe07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my 3 vanderbilt chromis for a year now. 2 of them seem to want to be the leader at the same time and see them try to pick at each other only for a few seconds then back to normal. I really love these guys and will always have them in my tanks. They're colorful and add life to the thank!

jsiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried to get to a group of 5-7 but the group would pick off the weak ones if they showed any signs of sickness or sluggishness once put in the DT. Overall I love mine (have a group of 3 and I'm happy with that). In my experience I've only seen them picking/eliminating the ones that were starting to get sick for whatever reason.

tgfitz1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just bought 40 today along with 20 other fish...
I just finished formalin dipping everything. They went into CP right after to battle any Uro, Velvet or ich if present
I'll dip them again in a week if I see any signs

Fingers crossed
I'd love a group that big, got any pics?

Chrispaul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 12 I started with 5 I've had them over a year I just add a few at a time and always add smaller ones never lost one and they always shoal together I will be adding more until I have a large group of atleast 20+ for me they seem to do what they are ment to do but they can be greedy so I use flake to feed them up

Katy did

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well...this is a depressing thread. I planned on having 3 at some point down the line.

We got 4 for our 220 first. Had them for a few months. 1 dissapeared. Have had 3 for over a year. They have one that is a little smaller than can get chased now and again. We have high flow in the top. I have now started feeding with LRS and Spectrum pellets .5 mm. Feed twice a day. They are doing really well. So, what I think from reading. Big tank, high flow on top, feed small but lots, buy more than you want. A few may get picked off.

Christopher B Keyes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had several schools through the years. Make sure they are well fed and have plenty of room. Also, I agree with getting them all at once. I have read that to get them to school better always keep an odd number of them. Seemed to work for me!

JP79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a little school of blue/ green ones in my 55. I feed once sometimes 2 times a day. They are fine and don't really beat each other up. I can say it's fine. I've had them for over a year.

jammerdave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i started with 10 in my 150- 2 left- they battle to the death- the 2 i have left go at each other all day

d-man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd love a group that big, got any pics?

I'm photo downloaded challenged. Actually more like technology inept. I have some on FB but can't figure out how to post them here via my iPad or i phone

zachtos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 24 iny old 240G reef but slowly dwindled to 3, but those few lives a long life.

My new 300G, I started with 9 and have 8 six months later. I think trick this time was proper quarantine prior, followed by 5 feeding per day. (Auto feed pellets and flake then 1 manual meaty food at night). They are shy and need many opportunities to feed IME

tjnorthdakota

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure about peoples negative ecperience with them, though I will say get twice as many as you want to end up with as I think a lot of them come to the pet store really unhealthy and half probably will die. I have a school of 7 in my 120g tank. Made up of 2 different schools from different tanks. 2 are at least 5 yrs old and 5 of them I know are at 5+ yrs old since I originally purchased them. There is a pecking order in the school and a size difference be

Nano Reef Q

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw this picture & became obsessed with green chromis...wanted one long tank with grass & mermans brush & sand and just chromis schooling all over it....then I bought a sm school & quarantined them & as everyone else said one disappeared every day...a few did get ground up in Koralias because they sought refuge in them....I bought new ones & covered up the koralias & that helped until ...1 left. I still dream about this pic....when I retire..& try the heavy feeding.

IMG_4751.JPG

apolloaces

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually I have 15 chromis for a year now having added 16 at once. The tank is a 134 cube with heavy flow fed 3x a day. Honestly for me the trick has been high flow and feeding multiple times a day ( auto feeder) keeps them busy. They won't focus on hierarchy as much. Also have had 20 chromis in a 8 foot 150g coral runway for over a year. Didn't lose one. Autofeeders help a lot I believe

apolloaces

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm telling you make those fish swim (heavy flow) and you'll be able to have a larger "school"

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had five in my 45 Gal tank for about 8 months than hadvone die with some other fish from a different issue
The remaining four get along fine and School together all the time over a year now

Akutila

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have also experienced the phenomenon of "pick the weakest until you're alone" with school of 13 individuals. Now with my latest tank of 270 gallons I'm trying different approach: I purchased a school of 40 individuals and feed them at least 4 times a day. My hopes are that the school is such a large one that they don't find the weakest one so easilly. Fingers crossed that this works...

griff500

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same experience as many others - I started with about 7 of them and ended up with 1. I wouldn't do it again as the idea was to have a school of them and 1 on his own doesn't quite do it for me.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are the 6 I had for 6 years, got them when they were tiny, you can kinda tell size/age judging by the tennenti tang, the anemone (crispa) is about 2 feet in diameter.
6 years together and they stayed this close most of the time.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back