School of Chromis?

TrevorTheTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about groups of different types of chromis? Anyone have experience with mixed varieties of chromis doing well?
I have 2 ~2 inch orange line chromis been in my QT for 2 weeks. Had 3 blue reef in with them and lost them all one by one but not to bullying.

Would like this mix:

3 Blue Reef (Gets to 5")
2 Orange Line (Gets to 4")
2 Vanderbuilts (Gets to 3.5")
1 Black Axil (gets to 4.5")

Thoughts?

Earl Coleman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought 15 originally back in November and after an ick breakout I lost 5 and have had 10 since December and they seem to be doing ok now. I keep counting and expect to find less, but so far so good. As mentioned, I have a 93 cube with lots of flow in the upper part of the tank and they get fed several times a day.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

john2152

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 3 and the very next day I had 1....the smallest one,almost didn't see him in there he was so small...named him chicken nugget and have had him for about a year now...it took a year for him to get to normal size and about two weeks ago I added another,his name is slider....I give it a few more weeks and I'm going for a third.....the tangs and clowns love them though

Susan Bates

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 220 gallon and I am thinking of getting a school of them. How was your guys experience keeping them?
I have had no luck with them,i have tried several time to have a school of them but one by one they die

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've currently got a trio of black-bar chromis (C. retrofasciata), which are a bit different from the typical . . . Can't claim long-term success, as they're still in my QT, but so far, so good . . . I'll let you know how it works out!

~Bruce

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 3 and the very next day I had 1....the smallest one,almost didn't see him in there he was so small...named him chicken nugget and have had him for about a year now...it took a year for him to get to normal size and about two weeks ago I added another,his name is slider....I give it a few more weeks and I'm going for a third.....the tangs and clowns love them though

If yours died the very next day most likely sick or diseased, and this is kind of a good example how some people might add this to the list of them just picking each other off.

One thing I've noticed is both chromis and anthia are pretty vulnerable to uronema, other fish too, but it seems very common especially in those 2 fishes.

d-man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a moron at posting pics. Can't do it and to lazy to try to figure it out.
But it is a plywood build done by me :)

dh350twin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 20 in my 300 gallon. But I have bought 40 to start and they do pick of the weak. When you order a large number 10 or more from an online dealer they don't seem to ship well and there is always some already dead and some very weak. The ones that are weak will die or get bullied to there death by the others. Once there is a batch of healthy ones left usually an odd number you will be fine. That's just my experience with them over the years as every tank I set up I always try and get a school of them. They are known to carry uronema.

Dragonreef202

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two in a 75 gallon I feed three times a day only because of the wrasse I have in there. They seem to get along fine.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back