Schooling Convict Tangs?

wilson_cbl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone had success with housing 5+ convict tangs and getting them to maintain schooling behavior over the years? And perhaps the correct term is “shoaling,” but you all likely understand the question. Some additional questions I’d have include:

1) Does a pack of them together create more stress on other peaceful fish in the tank? Example: is a CBB doomed?
2) Do you need a larger fish in the tank as alpha to promote the schooling behavior?
3) Does the schooling behavior inevitably break up into fights over time?

Thanks!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Has anyone had success with housing 5+ convict tangs and getting them to maintain schooling behavior over the years? And perhaps the correct term is “shoaling,” but you all likely understand the question. Some additional questions I’d have include:

1) Does a pack of them together create more stress on other peaceful fish in the tank? Example: is a CBB doomed?
2) Do you need a larger fish in the tank as alpha to promote the schooling behavior?
3) Does the schooling behavior inevitably break up into fights over time?

Thanks!
I know of only one person with a group who was successful with them as a group and were in a 750 gallon tank if I recall. They are a sight to see in groups. I had 3-4 a couple of times at my LFS and they did well but issue was every time I grouped them, 1 or more would sell breaking up the numbers.
Issue today will be many are from Sri Lanka and south Africa, and are often coming in weak or thin and either eat very little or not at all suggesting they may be cyanide caught.
In turn, they slowly weaken and starve until death.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back