Schwen's first reef tank 5 gallons

Schwen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. As the title says, this is my first reef tank. I had a 5 gallon Marineland Portrait that use to be a planted freshwater tank until I move recently. It is a all in one tank. The light I am using is a Macegrow LED aquarium light from Amazon and seems to be doing well. For flow I am using a Hydor Pico Evo 180. The tank has about 6 or 7 lbs of CaribSea live sand. About 2 inches thick. I have about 5lbs of live rock that I got from my LFS. The tank has been running for sometime and completed its cycle. I used a ocellarius clown for the cycling. Since then I have added a domino clown, green bubble tip anemone, 3 nassarius snails, and a hermit crab. I know that two clowns in a 5gal is overstocked and small for them however gotta keep the wife happy. Hoping as they start to get some size she will understand and let me upgrade . The ocellarius clown has already began to host the anemone. For the maintenance of this tank I do water changes weekly of 1-2gallons. Midway through the week I top off with RO water due to the evaporation.
I am open to any advice you can supply.

Thanks in advance, Cory

20200104_204546.jpg 20200104_094936.jpg

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What an adorable little nem, and what a happy looking clownfish! How long has your tank been running?!

24/7ReeFTime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lighting looks amazing in that tank. To impress the wife get some nice little drags they look amazing in smaller tanks like your.
hope you get to upgrade!!!

Tom Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. As the title says, this is my first reef tank. I had a 5 gallon Marineland Portrait that use to be a planted freshwater tank until I move recently. It is a all in one tank. The light I am using is a Macegrow LED aquarium light from Amazon and seems to be doing well. For flow I am using a Hydor Pico Evo 180. The tank has about 6 or 7 lbs of CaribSea live sand. About 2 inches thick. I have about 5lbs of live rock that I got from my LFS. The tank has been running for sometime and completed its cycle. I used a ocellarius clown for the cycling. Since then I have added a domino clown, green bubble tip anemone, 3 nassarius snails, and a hermit crab. I know that two clowns in a 5gal is overstocked and small for them however gotta keep the wife happy. Hoping as they start to get some size she will understand and let me upgrade . The ocellarius clown has already began to host the anemone. For the maintenance of this tank I do water changes weekly of 1-2gallons. Midway through the week I top off with RO water due to the evaporation.

Thanks in advance, Cory

Good luck

Thanks in advance, Cory

Thanks in advance, Cory

Hi Cory! Good luck! Usually it’s best to ask a specific question as you move along in the hobby your off to a great start. I’ve been in reefing for 25 years and just started a YouTube channel about 20 gallon nano cube guide. Check it out, subscribe and feel free to leave a question

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 123 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%
Back