Scoly coral holes?

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed holes in the skeleton of my 2 weeks old scoly. Is that normal? I just moved it because the blenny was sleeping on it so its ticked. But just concerned about the holes

IMG_9343.jpeg IMG_9342.jpeg

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks really receded from its skeleton. Is it a recently acquired piece?
Yes from queen city 2 weeks. Im new to scolys so i didn’t pay attention to those details.
It was puffy yesterday but my blenny keeps sleeping on it at night so i moved it so its mad

IMG_9262.jpeg

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think with that much skeleton showing it was probably recent import. Try to keep tank inhabitants off. I don’t know how you’d do that and keep up with regular water maintenance. Maybe get clear acclimation box

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think with that much skeleton showing it was probably recent import. Try to keep tank inhabitants off. I don’t know how you’d do that and keep up with regular water maintenance. Maybe get clear acclimation box
Alrigjt thank you :c that was a bad financial decision unfortunately

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I noticed holes in the skeleton of my 2 weeks old scoly. Is that normal? I just moved it because the blenny was sleeping on it so its ticked. But just concerned about the holes

IMG_9343.jpeg IMG_9342.jpeg
Tissue recession and likely due to any of the following:
Too much flow
Inadequate light
Lack of feeding (feed mysis shrimp)
Low salinity
high phosphate
Low calcium

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tissue recession and likely due to any of the following:
Too much flow
Inadequate light
Lack of feeding (feed mysis shrimp)
Low salinity
high phosphate
Low calcium
Calcium 425, mag 1400, 0.17 phosphate, nitrare 11.5 flow is good (med flow) i feed reef chilly, reef roids, mysis. Salinity i tested 1.025. Alk 8.5

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to feed it and protect it while it recovers. It should extend feeders around dusk or night time. Give meaty small food. Protect with acclimation box or a container with holes in it so it can still get flow. medium flow is ideal for scoly.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Calcium 425, mag 1400, 0.17 phosphate, nitrare 11.5 flow is good (med flow) i feed reef chilly, reef roids, mysis. Salinity i tested 1.025. Alk 8.5
Phos a little high ( you want .06- .1)

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see any recession, just a little unhappy. The holes are just the cross-section of the skeleton, the coral was recently cut with a bandsaw, which is why you're seeing that. Po4 is also high, try doing a water change or toning down the feedings. Does it normally look like that? Tell me how the polyp extension looks tommorow

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just the coral skeleton, I have ordered a few from same vendor. The ones I have eat Nyos LPS pellets, and whatever is floating in water after feeding frozen. Only feed a few. Don’t put any on them if they’re not open.

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just the coral skeleton, I have ordered a few from same vendor. The ones I have eat Nyos LPS pellets, and whatever is floating in water after feeding frozen. Only feed a few. Don’t put any on them if they’re not open.
Yeah the feeders are not out not sure

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's the polyps extension today?
pretty good. I got feeding reaction for the first time. Fed some lps pellets. And it ate. Also i moved it yesterday and the blenny didnt sleep on it. So i guess we are good? Im waiting for the lights to come out at 1:00 and then i will be for sure.

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pretty good. I got feeding reaction for the first time. Fed some lps pellets. And it ate. Also i moved it yesterday and the blenny didnt sleep on it. So i guess we are good? Im waiting for the lights to come out at 1:00 and then i will be for sure.

If it's showing a feeding response then I wouldn't be worried. Show me what it looks like when the lights turn on

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t over feed, let it acclimate to your system. Agree with above on high Phosphate, everyone runs their systems differently but I run 7 alk and low phosphate, LPS and mainly scolys. I’ve noticed in my tank when phosphates run high they won’t have feeders out and aren’t happy. On the opposite of this if they can’t feed they aren’t happy either.. Good luck and it looks okay, feeders were out. Only powder I use is Nyos phytoplankton, I have good results with that but I use sparingly and only once per week, pellets are also once per week. Hope this helps.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back