Scoly help!

Scubasteve11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently (2 days ago) purchased this Scolymia and reaching out for some advice or hopefully reassurance.

I've done my research and believe I'm within the recommendations to care for this Coral but she's not looking good IMO. Other LPS seem to be doing fine. I have an IM 30L, so the initial placement for acclimation in a low light and flow area is a little more difficult to achieve in this nano.

Should I be worried that the skeleton is poking through and she's not very fluffy?

IMG_20191125_184507.jpg

Rcpilot

Addicted to LPS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They feeding it a little bit of mysis or chopped krill after the lights go off. It's tentacles should come out in search of food if it's open.
Feed big meals like that only a few times per week. Too much food can rot inside them and cause bacterial problems. Like most things in reefing... slow and steady wins the race.

OP
OP
Scubasteve11

Scubasteve11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the advice. I did a water change last night and will test parameters again and try feeding it once the lights go off this evening.

The only major test kit I don't have is magnesium. Probably about time to grab one.

jspuck25

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve recently gone through the same thing. Tissue loss was pretty bad. I ended up reducing the flow in the tank significantly. Didn’t touch anything else and it has without a doubt started to recover. Hope your scoly lives a long life.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 15 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 34 18.1%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 124 66.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 9 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.2%
Back