Scoly just melted away.

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
o you match the water you are changing in? -
Nope never, sometimes it gets warmed up, sometimes its cold on purpose in summer. Sometimes its really cold in winter.

None if that matters. What matters is bad water goes out and fresh in.

I checked your lights probably from your post, you have 3w led chips, and they will cook coral just as easy as any other led light will. Your growth issues could be over intensity.

This whole new keep nitrates and phosphates higher then old school, is biting a lot of people in the butt. It bad advise, and lowers your safety margin between stability and crashing

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to thank you
You always welcome, im aggressive online, life is short. But my heart is in the right place. Im king of mistakes an had to learn the hard way, and im stubborn and hard headed.

Good luck brother and OP

OP
OP
Kayla carpenter

Kayla carpenter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where was the scoly before? What are the other corals looking like? If they are healthy, but the Scoly is not. It was most likely a lighting issue, rather than chemical inbalance.
My torches are fully extended and happy same with my hammers and gonies.

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How quickly do u guys reckon I should lower it?
I lowered mine from 80% to 10% same day, it does not matter how quickly you turn them down in nature clouds dim lights instantly.

How much you turn them down is up to you. You could see my aquarium lights a 1/4 mile away, looked like you had a grow house leaking light. Now its much dimmer to the eye, and growth amazing again.

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its your lighting!
It could be in part, but super bright over intensity for 5 years did not kill my scoly, but when I let water quality slip it started to slide due to the combination of crap for water and lighting. Mine detached 3/4 of the way from its skeleton and only a few threads held it on. It made a complete recover, and that is due to 75% water changes combined with lights being turned down. Now its health again but a little mishaped
20210806_192509.jpg

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My torches are fully extended and happy same with my hammers and gonies.
That is what happens when you let water quality slide, your weakest coral decays. The rest will look fine. Its the fist sign of a crash. Scolys are freaken hardy, it takes a lot of abuse to lose one. The one above is 30 years old. and in that time ive nursed it back to health at least 3 times. I bought with skeleton showing through its tissue, and twice I have had it start to slide and had skeleton poking through.

So when my tank starts to crash, the scoly is the first to show signs that I let my water quality slip to far. Unlike you, at the first signs of decay I changed as much water as possible and saved him.

Change as much water as possible, and turn your lights down. You will see major growth back, in a few weeks.

OP
OP
Kayla carpenter

Kayla carpenter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is what happens when you let water quality slide, your weakest coral decays. The rest will look fine. Its the fist sign of a crash. Scolys are freaken hardy, it takes a lot of abuse to lose one. The one above is 30 years old. and in that time ive nursed it back to health at least 3 times. I bought with skeleton showing through its tissue, and twice I have had it start to slide and had skeleton poking through.

So when my tank starts to crash, the scoly is the first to show signs that I let my water quality slip to far. Unlike you, at the first signs of decay I changed as much water as possible and saved him.

Change as much water as possible, and turn your lights down. You will see major growth back, in a few weeks.
Well not sure how my water is bad??? Nitrates have bottomed out and .1 PO4 just after feeding roids. This morning I have 0 PO4 my sps are doing well even growing. Now I did do two wc because I’m changing salt now. Thinking that maybe not enough calc because I couldn’t get sps to show signs of growth.

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve had this scoly for over two months. And I’ve the time it just recessed then two days ago it was gone. Lost one hammer and my acans are receding too…… my other hammers and torches and gonis are all fine. Water prams; NO2-0 NO3-5-10 PO4-.06 temp is 77.5-78 salinity is 1.24 I don’t have calc or mag but what could cause this??? I’m stumped
How long have your Acans been receding? Water changes would help as previously mentioned but I would also get an ICP test on your current water to see if something stands out so you don’t have a repeat.

OP
OP
Kayla carpenter

Kayla carpenter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have your Acans been receding? Water changes would help as previously mentioned but I would also get an ICP test on your current water to see if something stands out so you don’t have a repeat.
I found the reason to those. Dory was eating them……… they were healthy until one day I saw a hole and then they receded saw dory eating the flesh….

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Sour Apple scoly crashing. It started when my Flameback started nipping at it. I moved the fish but 3 months later its really about gone. I have since added 3 more that are doing very well including everything else in the tank. Tried feeding it all types of diff ways. Alk is 10 btw. It seems as though once they start going they don't come back. Good luck.

OP
OP
Kayla carpenter

Kayla carpenter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is possible
Isn’t there a good chance she was eating a fleshy scoly too?
when I moved it I moved it away from her “cave” and haven’t noticed anything. I just added another one and have to move it to a shaded spot. My t5 are 10inches above water line not sure if I should move up more so they don’t have to be shaded or if my bulbs are just that bright. My torches love it though so it’s a catch 22

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never take advise from anyone with a tank full of Majanos
You dont have the skill to criticize. I started with 1 RBTA 30 years ago, and I and my 5 clowns enjoy the 150 I have, and the 150 ive gave away or sold to my local reef store.

You are green, have constant cyano or dino problems and you dont have a clue how to grow corals successfully.

Last edited:

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well not sure how my water is bad???
Despite your measurements, you said you were lacking in this field. You also had dead coral in there which will pollute the water and cant be measured.

Its not what you can measure anyway, a tank can be in parameters and be out of balance chemically. I also dont trust test. My tank will show zero but after 100% water changes GHA will grow for a week or two and recede, just from something undetectable in my clean water. Multiple local reef specialty shops even tested and have no answer. I use vibrant now, and no GHA.

I do trust the fact that every time I have had coral die, ive done major water changes over the decades and stopped all the losses. You can see it in the coral too, and I dont mean 10 or 20% I mean large changes. It is the cheapest most effective way to deal with a coral sick tank.

Many fish will pick at and eat coral once it starts to go south.

OP
OP
Kayla carpenter

Kayla carpenter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m changing salts wouldn’t that shock them more to do a major change??? I’m going from ocean salt to Red Sea pro 9.5 alk right now

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m changing salts wouldn’t that shock them more to do a major change??? I’m going from ocean salt to Red Sea pro 9.5 alk right now
Not in the least, ive tried all salts, even added cold and never had anything but happy coral.

Back