Scoly Predators

  • Thread starter Thread starter Biokabe
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
Free Phyto Promo
Spend $39+ → free 16oz Phyto · Use code FREEPHYTO at checkout · $16.99 value · Densest 6-species blend · Free shipping on every order · 100% live arrival guaranteed Spend $39+ → free 16oz Phyto · Use code FREEPHYTO at checkout · $16.99 value · Densest 6-species blend · Free shipping on every order · 100% live arrival guaranteed
Shop Now Code: FREEPHYTO

Biokabe

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 21, 2016
Messages
2,562
Reaction score
3,635
Location
Tacoma, WA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always wanted a really nice scoly in my tank, but they're notoriously expensive and I'd hate to bring one in and find out it's become a Michelin-star meal for a tank inhabitant. What classes of fish and inverts are most likely to decide that I've just given them a gourmet snack?

I'm not just looking for whether my current inhabitants would be a problem, but also which I should avoid for the future.

The only fish I currently own that I think would be a problem is a bristletail filefish; I've seen him pick at acans, but he hasn't actually eaten any of them and the only invert I've definitely seen him eat is aiptasia. I also have a peppermint shrimp in the tank, and while I haven't seen it go after any corals, I have seen other peppermints go after LPS corals (usually more interested in whatever is in the coral's guts than the coral itself).
 
I don't know about the filefish but I've absolutely had experience with peppermint shrimp eating my scoly as far as other fish, I couldn't tell you from personal experience but Ive known people who've had dwarf angels (in this case a coral beauty) eat a multiple scolies of course it varies for them
 
IMG_2902.jpeg
I've always wanted a really nice scoly in my tank, but they're notoriously expensive and I'd hate to bring one in and find out it's become a Michelin-star meal for a tank inhabitant. What classes of fish and inverts are most likely to decide that I've just given them a gourmet snack?

I'm not just looking for whether my current inhabitants would be a problem, but also which I should avoid for the future.

The only fish I currently own that I think would be a problem is a bristletail filefish; I've seen him pick at acans, but he hasn't actually eaten any of them and the only invert I've definitely seen him eat is aiptasia. I also have a peppermint shrimp in the tank, and while I haven't seen it go after any corals, I have seen other peppermints go after LPS corals (usually more interested in whatever is in the coral's guts than the coral itself).
I love my Scolys! Perhaps try an inexpensive unicolor one as a trial ( avoid masters) and see how it goes?
 
Even unicolor scolys typically go for around $100... that's a bit more than I can really stomach for a $12 shrimp to chow down on. 😅

I think I'll just need to wait until I can put together a tank that doesn't have potential predators in it before finally cracking open the wallet for a scoly.
 
I spent 6 months looking for a scoly I liked enough to spend that kind of money on... 2 weeks in and my hippo blue tang tore sheets off of it and ate the entire thing.

PS. I no longer have a blue tang.... LFS return.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 26 18.6%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 48 34.3%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.1%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new