Scoly shrinking - low mag?

baldislife

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 31, 2023
Messages
77
Reaction score
75
Location
United States
What state or country do you live in
Arizona
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had this scoly in my tank for about three weeks. I feed it an LPS pellet last week and it shrank and hasn't expanded. Color is still good. I tested and my Mag is a little low at 1170. It's already in low flow area. Is it the pellet or maybe the Mag? Thanks in advance.
 
Here is a before and after



IMG_1356.jpeg

IMG_1405.jpeg
 
I would say it’s fine, perhaps acclimating still to your tank but it doesn’t look stressed. At this point I see nothing that would make me worry, I would just leave it alone personally and monitor. Good luck.
 
Mr. Mojo just beat me to my reply, but i would just add that I wouldn't put a lot of stock in that Magnesium test result. R2R staff member Randy Holmes-Farley is a real-deal chemist and a long time reef tank guru, and he advises that home hobby-level test kits for Mag are not reliable. He offers a better solution to maintaining magnesium:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/just-say-no-to-magnesium-testing-rmm-is-born.1017528/

Good luck with your Scoly!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 8 5.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 17.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 55 34.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 7.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.3%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 15.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new