Scolymia names?

BillyC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know there are names for scolys like master, bleeding apple, UFO, warpaint, etc.

Can some one define what makes a scoly one of those names? Are there any other types I'm missing? I'm very new to scolys and such.

And of course... LET'S SEE PICS!!!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Following along. :)

RavePartyReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The "master"' "ultra"' are usually the grade, meaning the different colors present on the specimen. The more different colors, it gets upgraded. Master is usually better than ultra, but some might disagree. Bleeding apple is the pattern of bright green with red/orange stripes or spots. "Reverse" bleeding apple is red/orange with stripes of green...War paint is usually a dark blueish/purple with strikes of red/orange and more colors. UFO, etc are sellers or other people making names for stuff, like it happens with zoas(bam-bams, agave,horizon,). Some colors are rare, even though scolys come in all colors. Pink, yellow, black are rare colors that upgrade the piece. I have 5 and must say they are addictive and lots of fun...
Let me try to post a pic...

RavePartyReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
reef3_zps93c1188a.png

OP
OP
BillyC

BillyC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful! I was under the impression the a UFO scoly was a green one with a purple/blue ring.

RavePartyReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful! I was under the impression the a UFO scoly was a green one with a purple/blue ring.
It could be, it's hard to predict what people call corals these days lol. If you visit good coral retailers, they usually use grades to classify the scolys rather than what specific colors the come in. Some patterns are common such as bleeding apples, so the name came as you see them out there all the time.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 11 9.2%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 51 42.5%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 57 47.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back