Scooter's 270

ScooterV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I guess it's about time I get a build thread going. If nothing else, it may be easier when looking for ideas and input on any persistent issues or firming up any crazy future plans.

Backstory: We recently relocated from NE Wisconsin to the Florida Panhandle. We had an ~190 in-wall in WI. A walkout basement designed around the tank with a dedicated equipment room and the tank faced out into a bar area with a 14 ft bar with kitchenette behind it, patio door on one side and opened into a large entertainment room on the other. When work said it was time to move we had to tear everything down. My wife cried when our clowns and anemone were picked up, when rock was picked up, and refused to even watch the day the tank itself left.

I've had FW fish since I was too young to remember due to my father getting me going. We started the first saltwater tanks int the early 70's. Slate bottom 29g with damsels, eventually a 55. I continued and even had a 30L in my Navy barracks room and multiple tanks wherever I was station when possible. After all those years, I decided it was time for me to move on and leave the hobby, so I sold absolutely everything, right down to the boxes of junk accumulated over all those years.

Well, we then got my parents moved down here, and while taking them to find an apartment my Dad insisted any apartment have a space for a 29 FW tank so he'd at least have something. Took them a local store to get started and I wandered over to the marine area. I discovered a recovered addict is still an addict :( I asked my wife if she would be ok with something like a Red Sea Reefer 250 in a breakfast area. She was instantly onboard, but finished with "as long as I can have another hippo tang.". I explained it would be way too small, so she asked "How big?". I pointed out we have a back wall in the living room entirely empty, so we could plan big. Since it is a pathway area we had trouble deciding on the tank. Many would extend from the wall too much, or was too small for what we desired, so with some masking tape and a tape measure we settled on a 7 foot by 30 inch footprint and the race was on to find a custom tank. We settled on Miracles due to being mid-range on all the quotes, along with being one of the few that could notch the glass prior to tempering so we could have an external overflow. We wanted to conserve as much as that 30" depth as possible. The final tank dimensions, not counting the space used by the overflow is 84x30x25.

I'll try to not take TOO long getting this caught up to current status, as I find pictures. To start with, here is the blank slate we decided to start with. Directly behind that wall is the kitchen, and beyond that is the garage which will have to fill in as creatively as possible for our old equipment room.

blankwall - Copy.JPG

Last edited:

Skep18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Congrats on the move and the new tank! I'm sure it was hard but at least you are in FL now and you get a big upgrade!

OP
OP
S

ScooterV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More blank slate.

Here's the spot in the garage, backing up to the kitchen, intended for RO/DI, ATO, mixing station, and anything else I can figure out how to do from a distance through the attic and a wall.

utilityspacesmall.JPG

The other corner of the garage has a closet/utility room with space for a new sub-panel and a DIY UPS.

powerandups small.JPG

OP
OP
S

ScooterV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the move and the new tank! I'm sure it was hard but at least you are in FL now and you get a big upgrade!

I certainly don't miss temps well below zero and feet of snow :) I miss the lakes and woods though. I love the ocean, but I've always been more at home in the woods. Wife loves the beach though!

OP
OP
S

ScooterV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The electrician made a visit. He previously installed a sub-panel for the new pool equipment pad and controller I put together. When I started explain my needs for this he only asked "What kind of crazy project do you have going this time?" :)

Sub-panel is installed. Below the old 15A outlets on a general house circuit is a dedicated 15A for the UPS battery charger and AC line power for the transfer switch/inverter. Below it is an outlet that on the other end goes only to behind the tank for the output of the UPS. That will be replaced on the UPS end with a single plug to prevent anything else being plugged in, but he was out of them. He also ran two dedicated 20A circuits to the tank area and a dedicated 15A to the mixing station area. The tank and mixing area also each have a different shared house 15A available. The 20A circuits are GFCI breakers, while the 15A rely on GFCI outlets.

subpanel - Small.JPG

Behind the tank. New 20A outlets on each end and the UPS outlets added to the two existing house 15A. While fishing wire through the wall he was nice enough to pull six 1/4 RO lines for me and a long Aquabus cable from the garage. After a very strange look anyway :)

electricaldone - Small.JPG

OP
OP
S

ScooterV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made sure to take advantage of Black Friday sales. Most was all piled up in a guest room, and I wish I had taken a picture of it. All I have are the sump, skimmer, and another sump planned as a fuge. I had already drilled the hole in the Ruby for a 1 1/2" fitting. Tank will have a Bean Animal drain. The siphon to the sump and skimmer, but the secondary and emergency to the fuge. The 1" fitting on the Right was also drilled out for a 1 1/2". Wife was nervous enough to make me nervous while enlarging holes on expensive stuff :)

sumpswaiting.JPG

OP
OP
S

ScooterV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While waiting for the tank to be built and shipped, it was time to work on the stand. I can't speak for if they still do, but Miracles was also one of the few who would honor a warranty even if not on their stand, as long as the builder and plans are approved by them. With the expense of shipping from Canada to Florida I decided to go local.

The local welder, at first, ignored my drawing and sent me back a drawing nowhere close to the over-building I wanted or the minimums Derek at Miracles wanted. He insisted his calculations showed it able to hold the weight. I sent back an explanation it was a dynamic load, not static, along with an extreme video of a wave-maker in action. Discussion with Miracles settled on either adding gussets, or additional legs and cross members. I had more legs in my original anyway, and needed cross bracing to support the sump as well, so went that way. It was also quoted with powder coating, but they forgot and only painted it. I hope I don't regret it, but I took the discount and went with it. I figured the steel will outlive me in any event, and if any rust shows up here and there I'm a big fan of POR-15 and can touch it up. There were some nicks moving it in, so it already has a few shiny POR-15 spots.

Stand delivered and waiting....

stand.JPG

OP
OP
S

ScooterV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then, the long awaited phone call from Derek at Miracles letting me know to check my e-mail. My tank was done and ready to ship soon!!!!

IMG_2709.jpeg

OP
OP
S

ScooterV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting the tank into the house turned out to be more complicated than I had imagined. Once I saw it I decided a party and beer for the reef club wasn't a good idea. A LFS said they could do it, but once they stopped by and saw the path it would have to take, as well as it would need to be turned onto its face to get through the door, they passed as well. I ended up hiring a place that specializes in moving large safes and pianos. Even then, when they were done, they asked me to please not recommend them because they didn't want to do that again, lol.

tank and stand moved.JPG

OP
OP
S

ScooterV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a start on the mixing station while waiting for the tank. I have some kind of phobia with uniseals, but I also planned for many float switches, so I wanted something square. I settled on the wheeled Toter line. It had flat sides, and seemed rigid enough. Bad move :( The salt Toter leaked right away. The sections where the lift handle goes isn't molded as part of the entire can, but injected after. I could see air bubbles left a large portion not sealed. I tried silicone and it didn't work, hot glue gun didn't work. I went as far as melting that area and then dripping melted milk jug into it. I then covered THAT with hot glue, and silicone around that. LOL, it did work for a few months. I replaced it with a somewhat smaller Rubbermaid which had nothing going through the bulkheads. It's still hanging in there, but smaller than I'd like and when full it bows out too much to keep me comfortable and getting salt creep around the float switches. The RO/DI held up for a long time, but is also now leaking. It appears it was too ridged and eventually developed a small crack. Just yesterday I had 75 gallon square chemical mixing containers delivered. I'll get new pics when I can,but the entire area is still only a partially finished mess, and I keep starting over :(

mixing 2_2_17.JPG

OP
OP
S

ScooterV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of the sand added, and a start on figuring out the rocks. Aquascaper I am NOT! Slightly better than the old fashion "pile all the rock you can into a wall" I guess :) Also, I had no idea yet what would come from TBS so I didn't want to do more than a base. In the end, I ended up with eunice worms and guerilla crabs, so wish I had skipped TBS on this one. It's all good though, and part of the fun!! At least there were no mantis shrimp or cirolanid isopods like I got in years past!!

Sumps in place and drains plumbed. Sea Swirls mounted, but lonely with no return plumbing yet :(

drain plumbing.jpg

drains.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

ScooterV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally getting wet!!! I used both Stenner pumps I had at the time to pump in RO/DI. I partially filled the sumps, then went to bed while the reservoir refiled. I ran the Stenners when awake so I could turn them off to wait on RO again. It didn't take long though because what would eventually be the SW mix was also RO so I had about 100 gallons ready before I ran out and stuck waiting. After spraying the living room though I had to go find some clamps, lol.

fill started.JPG

OP
OP
S

ScooterV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once filled, the tank ran without lights for a couple of months. Talk about patience :) Ok, it was really laziness :( It was crawling with happy pods though!!!

It was time for some woodworking, and I had sold my table saw, routing table, and all other shop tools when I moved. I've NEVER been good with a circular saw, but it was time to get started. I made me a jig and started cutting. First plan was a simple design. We like "rustic" anyway, so it helped. To keep the stand space as open as possible, and to keep as much of the electronics away from salt, we decided on two side benches. They would conceal electronics, yet with a cushions provide side seating to view from the ends. The canopy and an eventual three sided face frame for the stand would all match.

I got started on the first bench:

bench started - Small.JPG

I added rails for a shelf, and finished the trim. Both ready to go! I planned to use poly, but in the end decided it would fail eventually so I'm going with mineral spirits and linseed oil. I can rub more in now and then, and if anything stained it only adds to "rustic" :)

benches.JPG

OP
OP
S

ScooterV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Filling up the Left side bench. Already looks like spaghetti :( I'll make it neat one day, I promise!!!

I also discovered my plan for a shelf lacked foresight :( I imagined being able to lift the shelf to access things in the bottom. I knew all along I'd mount most on the sides. LOL, how do you lift a shelf with things already mounted on the side? No more shelf.

electronics bench filling - small.JPG

OP
OP
S

ScooterV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First major fail :( My Grandfather always said "Measure twice, cut once". Well, I did that :) Unfortunately I had just been in a conversation with a co-worker who is into woodworking and good with CAD drawings. I was only looking for ideas, not specifics, so I made the tank 80" instead of 84". So, once that got stuck in my head, I measured a perfect 80", twice, and then cut!!! LOL. My parents stopped by an Mom asked if they could help me carry in the canopy for a test fit. OMG!!! It's 4 inches too short!!!

It was SUPPOSED to match the tank dimensions, and then trim to match the benches. The trim would hang down to cover the water line. My parents insisted it should still work fine, but it's not going to happen. I need to rebuild it. It's still in use for now though. At least my Mom saved me from wasting some oak. Otherwise, I built it with a rack inside so I could slide the lights back and forth, as well as lift the rack out if needed. There is also a rim around the inside for egg crate. I have netting I had planned for the opening in the back, but until I rebuild this I'm not using it and risking the "jumpers".

I also have five Radions now instead of four in the pic, and two AFS feeders on the front rail. The Radions are mounted on what WAS once a 96" Radion rail. I cut it down, and it's also upside down so it sits flush on the rack, but the Radions still mount secure. I'll live with this not quite finished canopy until I get the stand done, and then rebuild it.

canopy open - Small.JPG

canopy closed - Small.JPG

canopy front - Small.JPG

canopy top - Small.JPG

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back