Scopas and yellow tang

DariusThomad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, so I understand everyone isn’t going to be saying sunshine and daisies but I’ve plucked the courage for help. I have a 3ft wide, 2 ft deep 2ft tall tank about 400l ish including sump I believe. I have a scopas tang that’s been in the tank for a month or two, and I had every intention of adding a yellow tang same time, prices of the tang shot up forcing me to save, I’ve finally bought a yellow and introduced it and the inevitable aggro has begun, the scopas was aggressive and yellow holds his own. Lights out and they ‘lost’ eachother and only when they find eachother they will attack... does this settle? And after how long? And is this tank too small?? Tang police imbound

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a yellow and purple tang on the same day hoping to avoid major battles, they fought for the first week like crazy and then they mellowed out.
The purple is larger and now the dominant of the two. But the yellow holds its own.
Try sticking a mirror on the tank and hopefully the more aggressive tang will see it as the next target and leave it's tank mate alone.

Good luck and hopefully the Tang Police will let you off with a warning lol

OP
OP
DariusThomad

DariusThomad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a yellow and purple tang on the same day hoping to avoid major battles, they fought for the first week like crazy and then they mellowed out.
The purple is larger and now the dominant of the two. But the yellow holds its own.
Try sticking a mirror on the tank and hopefully the more aggressive tang will see it as the next target and leave it's tank mate alone.

Good luck and hopefully the Tang Police will let you off with a warning lol
Would you suggest the tank is too small? I’ve got the mirror, given they only went in about 5 hours ago... I guess I have plenty of time pol

OP
OP
DariusThomad

DariusThomad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept two tangs in a 55 gallon for years before going ultimately going to a 130 I currently have, depending on their size and agression, you may have some time in that tank.
Sounds good to me, to be fair, if all fails it’ll be me catching the scopas and passing him on...

Ta2oodfreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big are they? How much rock work and hiding places do you have to allow them to separate? If they are small I guess it will work for a while but that's not a whole lot of tank for them if they are mid-large.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 39.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back