Scopas Tang in Sump? Stocking Logistics...

Albertan22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I have a bit of an oddball scenario here. I have a 120g tank currently stocked with only a pair of ocellaris clowns, a foxface lo and a Scopas tang (~4 inch). I’m shutting the tank down and upgrading to a 6 foot 180g tank in a couple weeks. I have plans to add about 15 more fish to the 180g, including a few more tangs. I plan to add all the tangs together, and to add them last. My dilemma is what to do with my Scopas tang while I go about QTing and stocking the more peaceful fish. There is an 18g refugium in my new sump that I won’t need until the tank is stocked more heavily. I’m considering maybe housing the Scopas in there a few months until I’m ready to add the tang gang. He’s a good sized fish though so I also feel this may be cruel and unusual punishment for the poor guy over the next 6-7 months while I stock up. I really don’t want to leave the 120g running as there are structural issues with its wooden stand (rot). Thoughts?

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello.

It should be ok. It does depends on sump dimensions, what else will be in there with it, and equipment or filters to run it. You could always buy a 20 long or 40 breeder at a 1$ a gallon Petco sale. Most important is filtration and air.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you leave it in the tank until you want to stock the rest of the fish and then pop it in the sump for a few days whilst the others settle?

OP
OP
Albertan22

Albertan22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello.

It should be ok. It does depends on sump dimensions, what else will be in there with it, and equipment or filters to run it. You could always buy a 20 long or 40 breeder at a 1$ a gallon Petco sale. Most important is filtration and air.
Unfortunately we don’t get those sales in Canada that I’m aware of. I also don’t really have room for another tank in the house. The refugium would be equipment free or maybe just have a heater in it, at least while the tang was in there. Dimensions would be similar to a 20 tall.

OP
OP
Albertan22

Albertan22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you leave it in the tank until you want to stock the rest of the fish and then pop it in the sump for a few days whilst the others settle?
I have considered this. I think I’m already rolling the dice by trying to mix new tangs in with a mature tang. I figured my only hope at doing it would be dropping them all in to a completely new environment together where no one has any territories. I’m not sure if removing the scopas for just a few days would have the same effect.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have considered this. I think I’m already rolling the dice by trying to mix new tangs in with a mature tang. I figured my only hope at doing it would be dropping them all in to a completely new environment together where no one has any territories. I’m not sure if removing the scopas for just a few days would have the same effect.

Is there anyone who can look after it, I have a scopas and a yellow scopas, I think it wouldn't take long to get very stressed in a small glass box.

OP
OP
Albertan22

Albertan22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there anyone who can look after it, I have a scopas and a yellow scopas, I think it wouldn't take long to get very stressed in a small glass box.
Yeah that’s what I’m worried about and I don’t really know anyone else with a large salt tank in the area. This fish has been with me a long time and I don’t want to torture it. I am considering re-homing it altogether and just starting with a new group of fish but that would kind of be sad as well.

Jase4224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not take out your scopas and put it in your sump for a week when you add the new tangs, then move or add some rocks before putting your scopas back in so the tank is not exactly the same? A week should be ample especially with multiple new tangs, it’s not like it’s just one he can hammer..

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 64 31.7%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 53 26.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 42 20.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 41 20.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back