Scopas Tang won’t eat

JTN54

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I currently just bought a Scopas tang from LiveAquaria that is about 3 inches and no more than 4. I received it on Thursday afternoon so I understand that it could still be a bit stressed from being shipped in a bag. My dilemma is that I can’t get him to eat anything or even acknowledge the food I’m offering. I have tried presenting spirulina mysis, spectrum pellets, mega marine angel, sea veggies on a clip or sea veggies tied to a rock. I have also soaked everything I’ve tried presenting to him in garlic and vitamins but he won’t take to it. He just spends most of his time swimming between the rocks and frequents one corner of the tank swimming up and down. He is currently in a 90 gallon system and I have plans to upgrade as he gets bigger. Can anyone give me some suggestions to trigger his feeding response?
Thank you

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The only tang in my tank. I also have 2 chromis, 2 clowns, an orchid dottyback, and a flame angel
In my own experience, a healthy tang just doesn't refuse to eat when theres other fish present. Might want to take some pics, a short video if you can.

OP
OP
JTN54

JTN54

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my own experience, a healthy tang just doesn't refuse to eat when theres other fish present. Might want to take some pics, a short video if you can.
I’m trying to catch my flame angel because he’s the biggest jerk of all time so I assume that is playing a part in it. But the tang looks completely healthy. Maybe a bit thin

Attachments

• IMG_4651.MOV
    36.7 MB
OP
OP
JTN54

JTN54

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 49
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 50

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Doesnt seem like anyone else has replied. I don't see nipped fins.

Tang shows high fear of you in the video. That's completly normal.

I'd toss in a double portion of feed and walk out of the room. Try and peak around an object where fish wont notice you and see how everyone behaves.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is one split on its anal fin, that is damage from some other fish, but shouldn't be serious. In the video, the fish is holding its fins erect, that's good. It is acting a bit "spooked", but that may be from your close presence, filming it. It is a bit thin, but that's common in small tangs that have just been imported.

I can't see any reason why it isn't eating. Be careful that "observer bias" doesn't get in the way - you want to see it eat, so you get up close to watch, but that spooks the fish even more.

If you can get it, you can try live baby brine shrimp. Otherwise, try mysids cut into smaller pieces.

Jay

Mwatts12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try and clip lettuce / spinach / spring mix lettuce on a clip

I had a purple and naso on their death bed not eating for a week. Searched tons of old forums and found this trick.

I believe it looks like more live algae to them? Idk. Have both the tangs still. Fat and healthy.

OP
OP
JTN54

JTN54

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m
There is one split on its anal fin, that is damage from some other fish, but shouldn't be serious. In the video, the fish is holding its fins erect, that's good. It is acting a bit "spooked", but that may be from your close presence, filming it. It is a bit thin, but that's common in small tangs that have just been imported.

I can't see any reason why it isn't eating. Be careful that "observer bias" doesn't get in the way - you want to see it eat, so you get up close to watch, but that spooks the fish even more.

If you can get it, you can try live baby brine shrimp. Otherwise, try mysids cut into smaller pieces.

Jay
thank you for your reply. I know that he is terrified of me so that probably has something to do with it. I just picked up some flake food to give that a try. He does have a few ich spots on him now. Not a crazy amount but a couple, so if I can get him to eat I can help him fight it off himself. I’ve never had too much luck with zebrasomas but always had easy luck with bristletooth tangs. I will give what you advised a try.

OP
OP
JTN54

JTN54

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tha
Try and clip lettuce / spinach / spring mix lettuce on a clip

I had a purple and naso on their death bed not eating for a week. Searched tons of old forums and found this trick.

I believe it looks like more live algae to them? Idk. Have both the tangs still. Fat and healthy.
Thank you for taking your time to reply. I’m going to give that a try. Fingers crossed this works.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back