Scopas Tang Possible Bacterial Infection?

NFO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everyone,
I have been reading here for around a year and a half but this is my first post..

Here's the deal My Scopas Tang that I have had for around 3 months has just developed these spots/patches over the last few days where it looks like the color is fading from it's body.

At first I thought it was from him scratching or damaging himself while chasing / being aggressive towards my 6 line wrasse. the wrasse loves the tiny spots the Tang can't fit but the Tang still trys to fit..this is why I originally thought it was just rock damage because it seemed to heal and he looked better the next day but then a few days later it came back and now seems to be getting worse..almost overnight the majority of the spots on his side appeared.

He still eats like a hog and is the most active in the tank and breathing fine..I'm beginning to think it might be a bacterial infection..no ich like spots no scratching no peeling of the skin.

Can anyone help me identify this one..
Any insight would be greatly appreciated..(the in some pics the tiny white pindots are just particles in the water)

Tank specs
75g DT 30g sump/ cheto fuge
78-79 degrees
Sal-1.025
Cal-420
All-7.8
Mag-1440
Other tank mates
Pair of black ice clowns
6 line wrasse
Lawnmower blenny
And a CUC of blue, red and a halloween hermit,serpent star, pincushion urchin ,mexican grazer snail
All coral (lps, softies, montis)seems fine and are growing like crazy..so I don't think it's a water parameter issue.

Thanks,
scopas1.jpg
scopas2.jpg
scopas3.jpg
scopas4.jpg
scopas1.jpg
scopas1.jpg
scopas1.jpg
scopas2.jpg
scopas3.jpg
scopas4.jpg

-Nick

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first thought runs to a bacterial infection, which would be best treated in a QT, using either Nitrofuracin Green _or_ the "trifecta" of Kanaplex, Metroplex and Furan-2.

The second thought, and it's not something I know much about, would be something called "tang thumbprint disease".

~Bruce

OP
OP
NFO

NFO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you I'm ordering some Nitrofuracin Green now and I should have it in a few days I just hope it doesn't get to bad till then..I'll call my lfs in the morning to see if they have any, but im gonna order some to be safe and to have some for just in case down the road.. im going to set up my 20L as a QT and we'll see how it goes..

A million thank you's Bruce

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 29 36.3%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 45 56.3%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back