Scopas tang spine showing?

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, before anyone starts I can't do water params. 35 salty and temp 25 - 26 c, this is the biggest of my scopas tangs, my original one, it has slowly been showing this more over the past two weeks, ideas anyone?

DSC_0003 (1024x684).jpg

Crap pic, it doesn't have any spots.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s becoming emaciated, difficult to say why. A sudden increase in salinity can cause this, but generally it is simply due o not enough calories being converted to body mass. With new fish, it could be parasites, but with long term captives, it is often due to chronic fish TB, Mycobacterium. That isn’t treatable, and not contagious per-se, but does ultimately cause the death of many older fish.
The other option is simple; is it being fed enough? Increase the food amounts/frequency and see if that fattens it up a bit.
Jay

OP
OP
N

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s becoming emaciated, difficult to say why. A sudden increase in salinity can cause this, but generally it is simply due o not enough calories being converted to body mass. With new fish, it could be parasites, but with long term captives, it is often due to chronic fish TB, Mycobacterium. That isn’t treatable, and not contagious per-se, but does ultimately cause the death of many older fish.
The other option is simple; is it being fed enough? Increase the food amounts/frequency and see if that fattens it up a bit.
Jay

I have four scopas tangs, it eats like a pig, flake, frozen, nori and fresh macro, basically anything and is acting fine.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have four scopas tangs, it eats like a pig, flake, frozen, nori and fresh macro, basically anything and is acting fine.
Can’t rule out myco then.... biggest=oldest=most prone to myco
Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Tuberculous or internal infection would be my guess
This wont be a battle to turn around.
Maracyn 2, absolutely water quality and premium diet will be the only recourse
What are your current parameters (mainly ammonia-nitrate-ph- salinity-water temp) and what foods are you feeding when you say frozen?

OP
OP
N

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frozen mostly mysis and garlic, green and red nori, live macro algae, algae flake. it eats anything.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 17 37.0%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 24 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.2%

Back