Scott's 20Gal Office Tank

Scottrshoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been on the freshwater side of the hobby for many years, but this is my first dabbling into saltwater.

I am using an Innovative Marine NUVO fusion Pro2 AIO as my foundation, and did a fishless cycle with Dr. Tim's All-In-One and Ammonium Chloride.

I started with around 15 pounds of CaribSea Liferock and CaribSea Ocean Direct Live sand as my hardscape. I also have a box of MarinePure Biospheres in the back sump.

For lighting, I am using 2 Fluval Sea Marine Nano LEDs

For flow, I am using the maxijet return pump that came with the system and a Jebao SLW-10 wave maker.

I converted HOB breeder box into a refugium and fitted it with a Sicca Syncra NANO pump and a cheap full spectrum LED light from Amazon. (No macro algae in it yet).

Lastly, I am using a Kamoer ATO One 2 smart ATO, paired with a 5 gal bucket under my desk ;)

Cycle finished.jpg

DIY refugium.jpg

OP
OP
Scottrshoe

Scottrshoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following, fellow Nuvo 20 owner.
I am loving my NUVO so far. I have always had standard rimmed tanks in the past with FW. I love the rimless look, and the glass is crystal clear!

At this time, I do not plan on running a skimmer on this tank, but I like that they have an option for one that fits the back sump... never know what direction this will go in the future.

OP
OP
Scottrshoe

Scottrshoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE...

Added a Fire Shrimp today, and... WWC order arrived... too soon? Probably :smirking-face:

IMG_0729 2.jpeg

Orchid Dottyback is settling in...out swimming about more today, and ate a few pellets.

Corals are pretty grumpy right now. Will update later. Hopefully they will open up in the next few days.

OP
OP
Scottrshoe

Scottrshoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on the corals I got in 2 days ago from WWC.
Sorry my pictures are not very good :( only have the mobile phone and skills with tank photography are not up to par yet...lol

Midnight Daisey Clove Polyp:
Midnight Daisey Clove polyp.jpg

Long Polyp GSP for back wall:

long polyp gsp.jpg

Monticap...

Tyree Aequituberulata Monticap.jpg

Start of a Zoa Garden:

Start of Zoa garden.jpg

Fire and Ice...hope colors improve with time...

Fire and Ice (2).jpg

Lazer Lemon: Also not looking great...

Lazer Lemon.jpg

Radioactive Dragon Eye:

radioactive dragon eye.jpg

Whammen Watermellon: This one broke as I was removing it from the frag plug, but was able to save both peices...my first fragging experience..by accident...lol.

Whammen Watermellon.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking good! It will be full before the weekend! Muhaaaaaa! YAY!

OP
OP
Scottrshoe

Scottrshoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good! It will be full before the weekend! Muhaaaaaa! YAY!
Thank you! Having a lot of fun with this tank...was so bored with my FW tank...lol. I get a lot of eye rolls from my wife when she catches me just sitting in the office watching the tank....planning foir the next addition...lol.

OP
OP
Scottrshoe

Scottrshoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Three weeks into my new reef tank, and it seems everyone is settling in. Dottyback is quite active in the tank, and the fire shrimp is doing his thing. I rarely see him since he hangs out under a ledge on the back side of the rocks most of the time.

I still have not nailed down the best flow options for the tank, and also making adjustments to lighting settings and schedule.

My GSP and clove polyps are pretty much fully open now, and my zoas are doing better. They still open and close a lot, but for the most part seem to be adjusting to their new home (despite me tinkering with light and flow settings). My Monti cap is basically the same as when I glued it in...I guess it is ok. Wondering how long it will take to heal over and start to grow...in hindsight, throwing an SPS in at the start of the tank was probably not the best of ideas.

I now am starting to decide what I will add next...

Knowing that not all will be able to make their way in, some of the fish on my wish list for this tank are as follows:

1. A pair of clown fish would be nice. I like the variety and they are active swimmers in the tank.
2. cardnalfish for mid tank dweller. Can't decide if I like the Benggai or pajama. Are they best singly, or in pairs?
3. Would love a mandarin, but not confident that my pod population could support one, and don't want to restock pods on a regular basis.
3. Blenny. Would like to get a lawnmower blenny. They are so ugly they're cute. Would be a nice rock dweller and utility fish as well...not sure if my 20g tank is enough for one?
4. Flame hawk. beautiful fish with personality, and another rock dweller...again not sure my tank is large enough.
5. Goby. Many to choose from...like the idea of a goby/pistol shrimp pair, but not sure how that would work out long term in my tank. I have heard both good and bad reviews.
6. Wrasse...again many to chose from, tank size is again a factor...any wrasse species that would fair well in my small tank?
7. last, but not least CUC. I will probably get an assortment of hermits and snails, maybe an emerald crab as well. Not sure about brittle stars...would that be a good option for this tank? Probably forego the urchins all together.

Last edited:
Back