Scott's 20Gal Office Tank

Dierks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. A pair of clown fish would be nice. I like the variety and they are active swimmers in the tank.
Classic Fish for this sized tank. Know the female will get mean. And in this sized tank, it may really hinder what you can and cant does fish wise so consider it. I would say 75% of new to the hobby tanks will have Clowns in them. Everyone knows what they are so expect everyone to call them Nemo. Again all good, just a heads up.

2. cardnalfish for mid tank dweller. Can't decide if I like the Benggai or pajama. Are they best singly, or in pairs?
Singles or Pairs are all good, they just kind of float and chill, that's what most folks like about them. Do not go more than two in that tank size in my opinion. (You are starting to see how we all go bigger, so quickly!)

3. Would love a mandarin, but not confident that my pod population could support one, and don't want to restock pods on a regular basis.
Do not do this until the reef is mature. Just not worth it for you and not fair to the fish yet.

4. Flame hawk. beautiful fish with personality, and another rock dweller...again not sure my tank is large enough.
Careful with Halks in this sized tank. You could do this and the CLowns and call it a day.

5. Goby. Many to choose from...like the idea of a goby/pistol shrimp pair, but not sure how that would work out long term in my tank. I have heard both good and bad reviews.
Yes!! So many of these! Love Gobies!!

6. Wrasse...again many to chose from, tank size is again a factor...any wrasse species that would fair well in my small tank?
This will be very tough in your tank size, they are wide-open swimmers. You will have to go looking for something small. (Such as a Possum Wrasse)

Good Luck!! Love to hear all is well so far!

7. last, but not least CUC. I will probably get an assortment of hermits and snails, maybe an emerald crab as well. Not sure about bristle stars...would that be a good option for this tank? Probably forego the urchins all together.
No real opinion here as so many directions you can take. I personally have never introduced Brisslesworms but others would call that insane.

OP
OP
Scottrshoe

Scottrshoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Classic Fish for this sized tank. Know the female will get mean. And in this sized tank, it may really hinder what you can and cant does fish wise so consider it. I would say 75% of new to the hobby tanks will have Clowns in them. Everyone knows what they are so expect everyone to call them Nemo. Again all good, just a heads up.

Singles or Pairs are all good, they just kind of float and chill, that's what most folks like about them. Do not go more than two in that tank size in my opinion. (You are starting to see how we all go bigger, so quickly!)

Do not do this until the reef is mature. Just not worth it for you and not fair to the fish yet.

Careful with Halks in this sized tank. You could do this and the CLowns and call it a day.

Yes!! So many of these! Love Gobies!!

This will be very tough in your tank size, they are wide-open swimmers. You will have to go looking for something small. (Such as a Possum Wrasse)

Good Luck!! Love to hear all is well so far!

No real opinion here as so many directions you can take. I personally have never introduced Brisslesworms but others would call that insane.
Thank you for that wonderful post...I greatly appreciate the advice.

I mistakenly said bristle star instead of BRITTLE STAR...lol...no plans for introducing bristle worms intentionally to my tank :p

I will edit my original post.

Also, would a single clown fish do OK? if so, Would a small one stay male in that situation? would it avoid getting "mean"?

Dierks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, would a single clown fish do OK? if so, Would a small one stay male in that situation? would it avoid getting "mean"?
You bet you could, but not sure if that would prevent it from going female. I will step aside and allow someone else to answer that works with clowns.

Thank you for that wonderful post...I greatly appreciate the advice.
Of course, always happy to help! Of course I am only one opinion :)

OP
OP
Scottrshoe

Scottrshoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So... my Bicolored Blenny is fixated on my Jebao slw-10 wave pump.

I have it set up on a timer so that it shuts off for a few hours during the night. Today, when I shut the pumps off to feed, I noticed that the blenny was perching INSIDE the front of the pump! This seems like a recipe for disaster to me, so as soon as he was free from the pump I turned it back on. Now he keeps trying to get into the front of the pump...the flow has prevented his efforts thus far, but he does not appear to be giving up. Leads me to wonder if he was not "sleeping" in the pump at night when it shuts off...

I have stopped the timer so that the pump runs constantly all night now, but any suggestions on how to stop this behavior? This is a really fun fish, and I would hate to have him become sushi.

Dierks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So... my Bicolored Blenny is fixated on my Jebao slw-10 wave pump.

I have it set up on a timer so that it shuts off for a few hours during the night. Today, when I shut the pumps off to feed, I noticed that the blenny was perching INSIDE the front of the pump! This seems like a recipe for disaster to me, so as soon as he was free from the pump I turned it back on. Now he keeps trying to get into the front of the pump...the flow has prevented his efforts thus far, but he does not appear to be giving up. Leads me to wonder if he was not "sleeping" in the pump at night when it shuts off...

I have stopped the timer so that the pump runs constantly all night now, but any suggestions on how to stop this behavior? This is a really fun fish, and I would hate to have him become sushi.
Only thing you can do is buy or make covers. You can use clear mesh to get you through or foam until you can find what fish guards for your Powerhead. 3D Printer Guys make these all the time

OP
OP
Scottrshoe

Scottrshoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only thing you can do is buy or make covers. You can use clear mesh to get you through or foam until you can find what fish guards for your Powerhead. 3D Printer Guys make these all the time
I saw some 3d printed fish guards for my pump, but they only cover the inlet side of the pump, not the outlet side. They also seem to be made for pumps installed flat on the glass, whereas mine is mounted at an angle so that it points slightly up toward the surface of the water.

Perhaps I can source some of the clear mesh you mentioned (like my tank cover is made of) and can figure a way to attach that over the front of the pump. It should not interfere with the flow too much.

Dierks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw some 3d printed fish guards for my pump, but they only cover the inlet side of the pump, not the outlet side. They also seem to be made for pumps installed flat on the glass, whereas mine is mounted at an angle so that it points slightly up toward the surface of the water.

Perhaps I can source some of the clear mesh you mentioned (like my tank cover is made of) and can figure a way to attach that over the front of the pump. It should not interfere with the flow too much.
Shoot me a pm and I will send you some, I have a tool of it in my garage. Just pay for the shipping. Otherwise, amazon or BRS has it as well.

OP
OP
Scottrshoe

Scottrshoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made my own frozen food mix toady....

I used:

LRS Reef Frenzy Nano
Hikari Marine S pellets
BRS freeze-dried Mysis shrimp soaked in selcon
Two Little Fishes Mixed Seaweed Flakes
BRS Reef Chile
and some RO/DI water

I found some silicone ice-cube trays online that make 3/8 inch cubes. I made one tray of RO/DI cubes, then used those cubes in my Ninja chopper to mix and keep the LRS cold as I made the concoction. (I purchased the chopper specifically for this, because I like being married)

I added in the other ingredients (I didn't measure, but just kind of eyeballed the additional ingredients) and blended it and diluted with RO/DI water to the consistency I was looking for. I then added it back into the ice-cube trays and froze in the deep freeze. (all of this while my wife is at work, of course :p)

removed the cubes from the trays and placed in a plastic container for easy access.

Fed my first one this afternoon, and the fish all went nuts for it. The Dottyback and the blenny were swimming in and out of the Gourmet Frozen Feeder, and chasing the pieces around the tank. For the first time, I saw the diamond goby eat from the water column!

So far, very pleased with the results....will see how it does more long term, and if I see any benefits in my corals.

Some images of the process and the first feeding below:

Supplies I used
IMG_0765.jpg

IMG_0766.jpg

Mixing the LRS and ice cubes
IMG_0767.jpg

IMG_0768.jpg

Adding in the rest of the ingredients
IMG_0769.jpg

Mixture added to trays, and the left over in a bag for the next batch
IMG_0770.jpg

Final product:
IMG_0772.jpg

Fish enjoying the first taste

IMG_0775.jpg

Last edited:

Dierks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made my own frozen food mix toady....

I used:

LRS Reef Frenzy Nano
Hikari Marine S pellets
BRS freeze-dried Mysis shrimp soaked in selcon
Two Little Fishes Mixed Seaweed Flakes
BRS Reef Chile
and some RO/DI water

I found some silicone ice-cube trays online that make 3/8 inch cubes. I made one tray of RO/DI cubes, then used those cubes in my Ninja chopper to mix and keep the LRS cold as I made the concoction. (I purchased the chopper specifically for this, because I like being married)

I added in the other ingredients (I didn't measure, but just kind of eyeballed the additional ingredients) and blended it and diluted with RO/DI water to the consistency I was looking for. I then added it back into the ice-cube trays and froze in the deep freeze. (all of this while my wife is at work, of course :p)

removed the cubes from the trays and placed in a plastic container for easy access.

Fed my first one this afternoon, and the fish all went nuts for it. The Dottyback and the blenny were swimming in and out of the Gourmet Frozen Feeder, and chasing the pieces around the tank. For the first time, I saw the diamond goby eat from the water column!

So far, very pleased with the results....will see how it does more long term, and if I see any benefits in my corals.

Some images of the process and the first feeding below:

Supplies I used
IMG_0765.jpg

IMG_0766.jpg

Mixing the LRS and ice cubes
IMG_0767.jpg

IMG_0768.jpg

Adding in the rest of the ingredients
IMG_0769.jpg

Mixture added to trays, and the left over in a bag for the next batch
IMG_0770.jpg

Final product:
IMG_0772.jpg

Fish enjoying the first taste

IMG_0775.jpg
This is awesome! Soon you wont even be buying the name brands and looking at the grocery store for all fresh ingredients! I make fish food for all the fish that are staying at the hotel. Different mix every time!

Cute little Diamond, and Bicolor :)

OP
OP
Scottrshoe

Scottrshoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is awesome! Soon you wont even be buying the name brands and looking at the grocery store for all fresh ingredients! I make fish food for all the fish that are staying at the hotel. Different mix every time!

Cute little Diamond, and Bicolor :)
I thought about visiting the seafood section at the local grocer, but the LRS has a nice blend and was easy...lol. Plus I did not want to buy a bunch of seafood at the store until I knew this was going to be a good idea.

I would love to get some of your recipes that you use.

I like this method over buying regular frozen foods, because I can dilute it down to what I need for a single serving for my tank. As the fish grow, or I add more livestock, I can adjust the recipe, or use more than one cube. Nice to be able to just grab a cube and drop it in the feeder and not worry about the serving size with my small tank and low fish count!

OP
OP
Scottrshoe

Scottrshoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water parameters today:

Temp: 80f
Salinity: 34
Ammonia: 0
Nitrate: 4
Phosphate: 0
KH/Alk: 6.7
Calcium: 450
Magnesium: ? (test kit on order)

I am about ready to need to order more salt, and am wondering if this would not be a good time to switch brands? Currently using Tropic Marin Pro-Reef, but I have read that is better suited for the reefer who intends to dose Ca/Mg/Alk. As my tank is only 20 gallons, and only plan to have soft corals and a few LPS, I do not plan to dose at this time (perhaps I will change my mind in the future, I don't know).

I like this salt for its fast and clean mix, and the fact that it stores well, but is there a better option for me, that will meet these same criteria, and my stocking plans for the future?

OP
OP
Scottrshoe

Scottrshoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to plan out my final fish purchase for my tank. My LFS stock varies quite a bit, and so I have watch for what I want and get it when they have it...

Right now I have the Orchid Dotty Back, Diamond Goby, Bicolor Blenny and CUC.

Do you think this is capacity for my 20G?

I originally planned to get a pair of clowns, but have just about decided to forgo them all together for this tank (maybe once I get a larger tank), But I am considering a pair of cardinal fish. Can my tank support them?

Any other suggestions for finishing out my fish stock? I would like something that stays out in the open water more.

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instant Ocean is fine. I use to use Red Sea Pro and it's a great mix but I discovered that my system needed lower KH mix.

Did you add those fishes at the same time or within days of each other?

OP
OP
Scottrshoe

Scottrshoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instant Ocean is fine. I use to use Red Sea Pro and it's a great mix but I discovered that my system needed lower KH mix.

Did you add those fishes at the same time or within days of each other?
The Dottyback was the first fish I introduced to the tank. I added the goby and blenny at the same time a week later.

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a small tank you need to watch your ammonia levels when adding fish. The other two fishes are acting okay?

OP
OP
Scottrshoe

Scottrshoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a small tank you need to watch your ammonia levels when adding fish. The other two fishes are acting okay?
I tested the ammonia and it is 0. Goby is doing fine, however the blenny has been "flicking" a lot. Wondering if he has flukes, but I do not see any visible, outward signs, other than his behavior. Corals and inverts are doing OK.

OP
OP
Scottrshoe

Scottrshoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Toby, the goby does not seem to mind being alone in the tank, so I am going to just let him have the run of the place for a while. I might look into adding a pair of clowns down the road a bit... Though I DID really like the Dottyback and Blenny.

On a brighter note, my fire shrimp acts like he is king of the ocean now that the other two fish are gone...he comes out regularly at feeding time to grab whatever he can.

Ugh...is that an aiptasia at the base of the green Zoa?

Back