Scythanith

Scythanith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Setosa

i-X9VqXMD-L.jpg

UOP... still can't get a good picture of this one.
i-7HmRN2K-L.jpg

Nice tort
i-wwLSBgH-L.jpg

A shaggy mille
i-kJf3c7c-L.jpg

Nice blue polyped tenuis
i-7SrDnZ6-L.jpg

And..... the space invaders
i-2qjq6Tx-L.jpg

OP
OP
Scythanith

Scythanith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Sublime.

I just add a supplemental 16 feet of T5 lighting to my mitras light rig. I don't like how shadowed the tank seems to be with the LED's. The mitras act like large point source lighting. Don't get me wrong, I love the lights. But unlike most MH's that have a large 2' reflector, my LED's have relatively small reflectors. I will take some pictures once I get it all dialed in. Any opinions on how long I should start running them to avoid shocking the corals? Maybe an hour to start?

I have also set up my montipora quarantine tank and will start tearing all of the montipora out tomorrow. Tank is going to look fairly ugly for a while when I start ripping into it :(

trido

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just browsed your whole build. Amazing tank room, basement remodel and so far a crazy awesome collection of corals.

OP
OP
Scythanith

Scythanith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to make a kalk paste and apply it on the left over monitpora that's encrusted to the rock. Any hints or tricks?

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Sublime.

I just add a supplemental 16 feet of T5 lighting to my mitras light rig. I don't like how shadowed the tank seems to be with the LED's. The mitras act like large point source lighting. Don't get me wrong, I love the lights. But unlike most MH's that have a large 2' reflector, my LED's have relatively small reflectors. I will take some pictures once I get it all dialed in. Any opinions on how long I should start running them to avoid shocking the corals? Maybe an hour to start?

I have also set up my montipora quarantine tank and will start tearing all of the montipora out tomorrow. Tank is going to look fairly ugly for a while when I start ripping into it :(

I added t5 supplemental lighting when I ran rations for the same reason. I did 4 hours a day, built up from there. I'm on all t5 now.

For the Monti eating nudis, I would personally just ditch the months for a few months, starve them out.

OP
OP
Scythanith

Scythanith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Sublime. So far tank is looking good with the additional T5 lighting. I am on for 3.5 hours midday with it now. The nudi's are doing a "great" job cleaning up all of the remaining montipora I couldn't get off the live rock. The monti frags in the quarantine tank look ok. They aren't very colourful but they are alive.

OP
OP
Scythanith

Scythanith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently used the PAR meter to measure the difference between all mitras and Mitras plus T5. There is a larger difference than I anticipated. The mitras alone produced mid 200 PAR 6" under the water surface while adding the T5's boosted that number to ~400+. The biggest difference was a mid to lower depths. I noticed double the PAR with the addition of the T5's. I am using all superblues and the golds have a lot more "pop" now :)

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently used the PAR meter to measure the difference between all mitras and Mitras plus T5. There is a larger difference than I anticipated. The mitras alone produced mid 200 PAR 6" under the water surface while adding the T5's boosted that number to ~400+. The biggest difference was a mid to lower depths. I noticed double the PAR with the addition of the T5's. I am using all superblues and the golds have a lot more "pop" now :)

Big leagues. Are you using ATI?

OP
OP
Scythanith

Scythanith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, Icecap ballasts, ends & reflectors on an aluminum frame. I wanted to buy some reefbrite T5's but they never emailed me back.

OP
OP
Scythanith

Scythanith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some 48" T5 reflectors coming from my LFS. My wife told me the tank is going through a rough time right now while the monitpora get devoured. I had some eyphilia recede and one disappeared. Really crappy as my collection are all pretty tough to find colours. I'm just trying to ride out the storm with water changes and carbon. I can't wait to get past this period in my tanks history...

OP
OP
Scythanith

Scythanith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Poriferan. It's unfortunate I had to learn this way but at least it happened while the tank was somewhat young. And to be honest, I mounted my montis too high in the tank to begin with. Upping the lights to satisfy the acropora was probably going to be detrimental to the montipora. A move might have been in the cards anyways. Trying to find a silver lining :)

OP
OP
Scythanith

Scythanith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the nudibranch's are doing their thing. The tank went through a rough patch most likely due to the die-off/chemical warfare going on. I have been gone to work for three weeks and am home now doing water changes and general tank maintenance. But through all of this the SPS are growing. A couple burnt tips though.

Test results from today 456 Ca, 8.4 Alk, 1350 MG, 1.026 sg, 25.6 Celsius, .03 Phos, 1.0 nitrates (too high in my opinion, likely due to the increased die-off).

Growing and new zoa/paly's

i-hL5FMxK-XL.jpg

i-WBSf72J-XL.jpg

i-PnQzrV5-XL.jpg

i-Z3vRTnD-XL.jpg

i-k6Rm4PF-XL.jpg

i-LkhQSkc-XL.jpg

i-k6JZBR7-XL.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Scythanith

Scythanith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some damaged and not so damaged LPS

i-8tp7kLh-XL.jpg

i-btkprpn-XL.jpg

i-wRxrPRX-XL.jpg

i-gMP878c-XL.jpg

Weird recession on a chalice.
i-j9CTb5k-XL.jpg

Not an LPS but still sweet :)
i-tMRWwdZ-XL.jpg

So big I can't fit it into the full frame of my 105mm macro
i-6dqrF9K-XL.jpg

i-qn8SKTH-XL.jpg

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 9 18.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 29 59.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.1%
Back