Scott's 75g Reef - From the beginning

pdexta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I’m Scott, just wanted to introduce myself and get started on documenting my tank build. I’m still in the early stages of piecing together plans to get back into reefing. I moved almost 4 years ago and took my 150g tank down at the time. I’m very much a DIY guy; but along with that comes some tendencies to cut corners and half-butt anything I think I can get away with. I’m sharing my plans and progress from the very beginning, hoping to get some input and guidance along the way. I may be an idiot, but I’m a coachable idiot, so if you have any advise it’s greatly appreciated.

I brought a lot of equipment with me when I moved, and recently picked up a used 75g tank. Here’s what I have so far:
75g reef ready tank
55g homemade sump
Reef Octopus skimmer
Jebao return pump and powerheads
JBJ ATO & 2.5gal top of tank
Several 5 gallon buckets full of rocks/sand

Now that I’ve secured the tank, I’m moving my attention toward building the stand. It’s going to be a little tricky building a stand for a 48” tank over a 48” sump, but I’m planning to oversize the stand a bit so I can fit the ATO tank next to the sump.

Right now my head is spinning a bit trying to prioritize what steps to take and how to set everything up. In the past I’ve ended up with some minor regrets around layout/setup/plumbing decisions so I’m trying to make sure I’m setting myself up for success this time around.

Not much picture worthy at the moment, but I moved the sump to it's new home and got a quick picture of the tank as I started cleaning it up a bit.

20221204_105519.jpg
20221211_144914.jpg

OP
OP
P

pdexta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I managed to get the frame of the stand assembled. I'm going to paint the stand black and I ordered a granite top for it that should help distribute the weight (my eye started twitching looking at the stand sitting on 2x4's entirely inside the vertical supports). I'm no engineer, but I think the slab should help relieve stress from the 2 long horizontal boards.

20221217_145319.jpg

I'm really anxious to start making water to get my sand and rocks wet again, but at this point I'm still going to have to move stuff around so much that I'm holding off. I should be able to get the stand painted in the next few days and once the granite top is installed I feel like I'll really be able to really get moving.

I think my last big equipment decision is lighting. I've got a couple cheap/small LED lights I'll probably throw on until it's time to commit to something permanent.

As far as stocking the tank, I'm a big fan of clownfish and LPS/softies; beyond that I'm really undecided. I've had really good luck with tangs in the past, but I know they'd do better in a larger tank. I've not had great luck with several "beginner" fish; aggressive 3 stripe & yellow tail damsels, chromis picking each other off, and firefish jumping to their death (although I have a glass lid this time). I think my favorite fish ever has been a green clown goby, followed closely by a cleaner wrasse, so I think those guys will probably end up in the tank as well.

SneaksMcdoogle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I managed to get the frame of the stand assembled. I'm going to paint the stand black and I ordered a granite top for it that should help distribute the weight (my eye started twitching looking at the stand sitting on 2x4's entirely inside the vertical supports). I'm no engineer, but I think the slab should help relieve stress from the 2 long horizontal boards.

20221217_145319.jpg

I'm really anxious to start making water to get my sand and rocks wet again, but at this point I'm still going to have to move stuff around so much that I'm holding off. I should be able to get the stand painted in the next few days and once the granite top is installed I feel like I'll really be able to really get moving.

I think my last big equipment decision is lighting. I've got a couple cheap/small LED lights I'll probably throw on until it's time to commit to something permanent.

As far as stocking the tank, I'm a big fan of clownfish and LPS/softies; beyond that I'm really undecided. I've had really good luck with tangs in the past, but I know they'd do better in a larger tank. I've not had great luck with several "beginner" fish; aggressive 3 stripe & yellow tail damsels, chromis picking each other off, and firefish jumping to their death (although I have a glass lid this time). I think my favorite fish ever has been a green clown goby, followed closely by a cleaner wrasse, so I think those guys will probably end up in the tank as well.
Awesome and congrats, Im excited to see your build, Im working on my first Saltwater build right now. A 75G also, Im hoping to get some photos up of my idea of scaping soon.

OP
OP
P

pdexta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the stand painted and had the quartz top installed this morning. Somehow I can always manage to mess up even the simplest of tasks, so I was really excited to see the measurements for the top and the cutout came out perfect.

I'm going to add doors to the stand at some point, but I'll probably just end up leaving the bottom open initially.

I think it's time to pick up some plumbing supplies and start running water lines.

20230123_085914.jpg 20230123_090014.jpg 20230123_090033.jpg

OP
OP
P

pdexta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the tank in place and added rocks and sand. I probably got a little ahead of myself and started making water, I added around 20 gallons to the refugium and return sections of the sump and have the return pump circulating the water.

20230124_222524.jpg

I need to pick up a few little random parts before water starts going in the display tank, but hoping to make some good progress this weekend.

OP
OP
P

pdexta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've made some really good progress the last few days, finally got the tank in place and filled with water circulating between the sump and display. But, I did tell you guys in my first post that I'm an idiot...

20230130_225520.jpg

As I was installing the glued pvc this weekend a piece slipped in place. Upon actually reading the glue I'd purchased it was "pvc thread sealant". It appears to be a clay-like paste that doesn't dry, doesn't seal, and spreads everywhere. After a painful process of disassembling the pipes and fittings, spreading it all over myself and the house, I managed to get it all cleaned up and re-sealed. I guess I lucked out noticing my error before actually hooking everything up, but it was still not a fun process.

20230128_173546.jpg

Error #2 was discovered around 10:30 last night after turning the water on. Both bulkheads on the tank overflow have a very slow leak. After getting the used tank, I thoroughly cleaned it, but totally ignored the unseen overflow section. This left little bits of sand, rock, and dead coraline to fall to the bottom of the overflow causing the bulkheads not to totally seal. I set about trying to fix it last night, drained the overflow, loosened the bulkheads and attempted to clean under them and resealed the bulkheads so I could watch it do exactly the same thing again. By that time it was well past bedtime and I gave up for the night. It's still slow dripping, but it's landing in the sump at least.

I'm thinking I will probably end up having to completely remove the bulkheads and thoroughly clean them and the overflow. This is one of those things that would have been really easy to take care with a waterhose in the backyard, but it's going to make a big ole mess trying to do it now. Derp.

These guys have taken on quite the supervisory role with this project:

20230126_203629.jpg

OP
OP
P

pdexta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sorry you’ve had a struggle it’ll be worth it once it’s all said and done

Thank you! I know you're right. I absolutely live my life by the mantra, "If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough."

The leaks have been stopped and the tank has been running about 3 weeks now. I decided to start off with some Molly's; my daughter picked out 5 this morning and we've been drip acclimating them all day. They're up to 1.013 salinity now and they all look great so far. I'm going give them a break for the night and pick it up again tomorrow morning.

20230218_185549.jpg

Attachments

• 20230218_184501.jpg
    20230218_184501.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 9
OP
OP
P

pdexta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was able to get the mollies converted over to full salt water last Sunday night and moved them into the tank. All fish went through drip acclimating without showing any obvious signs of stress; swimming around, eating, normal breathing. After moving them into the 75g they were all swimming around exploring.

Sadly, Monday morning the orange molly was pinned against the overflow. I moved her and she lazily swam around. That afternoon she was back in the same spot and didn't make it, my daughter and I paid our last respects and sent her on her way. I never considered that color would affect their ability to handle salt, but after converting 10 fish total, I've seen a 100% (8/8) success rate with black & black/white, and 0% (0/2) with orange mollies. I thought the first death was just random, but losing this one hit me hard and I feel guilty about it. The others are still doing great though.

I've got a big ole personal mess going on that's got everything else on hold at the moment. So far I'm around $300 into the whole thing and I really can't justify diving in any deeper until that's cleared up, but it's looking like that should be done in early April. Lights are my next big investment.

I tried to get some pictures of the fish, but these guys just will not pose for me.

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've made some really good progress the last few days, finally got the tank in place and filled with water circulating between the sump and display. But, I did tell you guys in my first post that I'm an idiot...

20230130_225520.jpg

As I was installing the glued pvc this weekend a piece slipped in place. Upon actually reading the glue I'd purchased it was "pvc thread sealant". It appears to be a clay-like paste that doesn't dry, doesn't seal, and spreads everywhere. After a painful process of disassembling the pipes and fittings, spreading it all over myself and the house, I managed to get it all cleaned up and re-sealed. I guess I lucked out noticing my error before actually hooking everything up, but it was still not a fun process.

20230128_173546.jpg

Error #2 was discovered around 10:30 last night after turning the water on. Both bulkheads on the tank overflow have a very slow leak. After getting the used tank, I thoroughly cleaned it, but totally ignored the unseen overflow section. This left little bits of sand, rock, and dead coraline to fall to the bottom of the overflow causing the bulkheads not to totally seal. I set about trying to fix it last night, drained the overflow, loosened the bulkheads and attempted to clean under them and resealed the bulkheads so I could watch it do exactly the same thing again. By that time it was well past bedtime and I gave up for the night. It's still slow dripping, but it's landing in the sump at least.

I'm thinking I will probably end up having to completely remove the bulkheads and thoroughly clean them and the overflow. This is one of those things that would have been really easy to take care with a waterhose in the backyard, but it's going to make a big ole mess trying to do it now. Derp.

20230126_203629.jpg

20230130_225520.jpg

20230128_173546.jpg

20230126_203629.jpg
I read this and wanted to commiserate. My first plumbed tank I spent hours cutting and getting the plumbing perfectly. I primed everything. I dry fitted everything. Then got distracted and forgot to go back and GLUE everything. It actually worked just fine for about 10 minutes before pipes started popping apart.

On my current project I thought “I’ll just use slip PVC. No big deal.” 30 pieces glued together later and it dawned on me that on a 3 port manifold if I glue one thing weakly or wrong, I’m out $80 in parts and hours of work! Luckily everything has survived the leak test but moving forward I’m going to really think about minimizing welds and going slowly! Especially with one-shot $100 gate valves and $40 check valves.

I’m sorry about your mollies. My mom kept mollies when I was growing up and I always enjoyed them.

OP
OP
P

pdexta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And.... everyone at work thinks I'm crazy because I'm in my office alone screaming "GET DOWN!" The cats know the rules and never get up there when I'm home. I'm hoping after getting yelled at a few times they'll learn the rules still apply when I'm gone.

Note to self: "Finish closing in the stand" needs to move up on the priority list.

badneo.jpg

OP
OP
P

pdexta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a big ole personal mess going on that's got everything else on hold at the moment. So far I'm around $300 into the whole thing and I really can't justify diving in any deeper until that's cleared up, but it's looking like that should be done in early April. Lights are my next big investment.

^ This poor guy has no clue... The mess lives on and it's been one setback after another that has continued to put any significant investment in livestock or equipment on hold.

Despite a severe restriction in funds, I have been able to continue making some small progress on the tank. I found an old tiny cheap LED in my bucket-o-parts and got that set up to give the tank some light. I finished up closing in the tank stand, I even used some leftover automotive bumper fasteners on the front that look and function way better than I could have expected.

20230516_160347.jpg
20230516_160402.jpg

The tank went through an ugly algae bloom after I added the light but it's cleared up nicely now. I added some chaeto algae to the sump that I've had really good luck with in the past.

Saturday morning I saw a local guy selling 2 snowflake clownfish on facebook; asking $40 for the pair, and I couldn't resist. I ended up getting them and adding them to the tank. It's really nice to have some actual saltwater fish. Baby steps, but things are still slowly moving in the right direction.

Snowflakes.jpg

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^ This poor guy has no clue... The mess lives on and it's been one setback after another that has continued to put any significant investment in livestock or equipment on hold.

Despite a severe restriction in funds, I have been able to continue making some small progress on the tank. I found an old tiny cheap LED in my bucket-o-parts and got that set up to give the tank some light. I finished up closing in the tank stand, I even used some leftover automotive bumper fasteners on the front that look and function way better than I could have expected.

20230516_160347.jpg
20230516_160402.jpg

The tank went through an ugly algae bloom after I added the light but it's cleared up nicely now. I added some chaeto algae to the sump that I've had really good luck with in the past.

Saturday morning I saw a local guy selling 2 snowflake clownfish on facebook; asking $40 for the pair, and I couldn't resist. I ended up getting them and adding them to the tank. It's really nice to have some actual saltwater fish. Baby steps, but things are still slowly moving in the right direction.

Snowflakes.jpg
Nice looking clowns!

LeeLoo Lola

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

20230516_160347.jpg
20230516_160402.jpg

Snowflakes.jpg
Love the clownfish and that’s a great deal!!! I can see why you would have a hard time passing them up!!!

OP
OP
P

pdexta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sad little led is finally gone and replaced with a pair of Kessil A160WE's. I've always loved the performance and appearance of these lights. Really happy with how the tank looks with them.

I'm keeping an eye out for some cheap corals to start adding, but don't expect a ton of quick progress.

20230617_153742.jpg
20230618_213752.jpg

OP
OP
P

pdexta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This lady has been doing some work! Apparently these are eggs, which I've never seen before. I need to do some more research on my own, but if anyone has advise or tips on helping the eggs along please let me know.

20230723_132045.jpg

I added a few "cheap" corals to the tank (yikes prices have gone up in the last 10 years!). I got several kenya trees, a tiny gsp frag, and a single mushroom.

20230721_203401.jpg

20230721_203415.jpg

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This lady has been doing some work! Apparently these are eggs, which I've never seen before. I need to do some more research on my own, but if anyone has advise or tips on helping the eggs along please let me know.

20230723_132045.jpg

I added a few "cheap" corals to the tank (yikes prices have gone up in the last 10 years!). I got several kenya trees, a tiny gsp frag, and a single mushroom.

20230721_203401.jpg

20230721_203415.jpg
My cerith snails are constantly laying eggs, unfortunately when they hatch they become fish food, sorry no babies. Trocus snails on the other hand don’t lay eggs but spawn into the water column and I do get babies.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back