Scotts75 gallon tank

sneub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you doing full Zeovit? What about your lights?

OP
OP
loui

loui

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not running not running Zeovit. I have been thinking my whites are 2 intense if only for a couple of hours I may turn them down a little and turn the blues up. I have a red dragon frag that is on the sand and almost under a ledge and it has a darker red color then the frag that I have out in the open.

This weeks test results, looking pretty good.
ALK 149 8.3
CAL 446
MAG 1420

I can say that the supplement cocktail that I have been doing is showing some signs of improved color, but I am seeing some cyano which I expected. I siphon out the small patch that I found and I am continuing with dosing.

I would really like to know if mixing these 3 products together would cause any issues. It would be great to hook up my extra BRS doser and run it for 3 minutes day for a total of 3.3 ML.

OP
OP
loui

loui

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After losing a few fish due to jumping out I finally put my BRS DIY screen top kit http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/diy-aquarium-screen-top-kits-1-4-netting.html.

I think it came out pretty good, Due to my LED legs it sits about 1/2 inch off the top, which works out ok since my wave makers wires are on top of the tank anyways it actually makes it sit more even then if sitting on top of the wires. Yes I made a little flap where my mango sits, I love the little guy.

this weeks readings, will have to watch ALK, but I am ok with these numbers.
12/27/16
ALK 141 7.9
CAL 427
MAG 1400

Also I am seeing improvements since I started dosing my SPS cocktail the bottom pictures shows a new nub growing on top, might not seem like much, but I have had this coral for over a year and it has not done anything, so it is pretty exciting to finally see it doing something. Only thing I am seeing negative is cyano since starting this cocktail regiment, but the positive is out weighing the negative ATM. I have been really tempted to mix all 3 together so I can put it on my extra BRS doser, just not sure how they will react all combined. Might ask each manufacture what they think.

IMG_0130.JPG

IMG_0132.JPG

OP
OP
loui

loui

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok, so I have a few corals that I could not figure out why they where not doing very well. I got up as close as possible to a couple of them and found red bugs running around. I have interceptor on the way from Canada and we will see how it goes. I took a picture of my tyree rouge mille with a yellow filter(believe it or not, it is the rouge mille) to see how it goes. I am still at least a week away from getting the interceptor. 2nd problem is I am going to the Philippines in the beginning of February I am not sure I want to do something like this without being able to observe the tank. If I get the interceptor next week it will give me 2 weeks to make sure all is well, but 3 weeks in between first and second dose. Also I dip everything in Revive, so I guess I will be trying something else for the next batch of corals I get.

IMG_0137.JPG

OP
OP
loui

loui

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my interceptor spectrum on Friday, I am just getting around to dosing it today I just added it about 15 minutes ago. I got it from Canada, I called them to make sure it was ok for me to get it and they said it ships from Australia, which Interceptor is an over the counter medication.

Interceptor spectrum comes with an extra additive Praziquantel 228MG, but enough people have used it with no ill effects, so I am going to use it ( they don't make interceptor with out the extra additive at least from what I was able to tell with my searches on the internet). The medication that kills the red bugs is Milbemcyin 23MG. The large dog (51-100 pounds) chewable treats 380 gallons I have roughly 80 gallons of water volume, so I cut the pills up into 4 pieces and cut off a little extra. I let the pill soak in RO water for about 20 minutes I also heated it up a little so it would dissolve a little bit as u can imagine it does not dissolve easily.

I was not able to find the few hermit crabs that I have, which sucks I have had them for over 2 years now, hopefully they will make it.

I un-hooked the air line to my skimmer and removed my bag of carbon, I will be doing a water change later in the day, but will not be doing the recommended 20% I only do 5 gallon water changes once a week. I do have 30 gallons of fresh RO if I think I need it. I am not going to say not to do it, but this method was discovered 15 years ago (I remember following the person that came up with it wish I could remember there name) and I believe our modern skimmers will remove most of it. I have a omega vertech 150.

Was trying to get before an after pictures, but my Iphone 6 is not picking up the little red jerks.

with out getting into more details I am pretty much following this post from Biggar, so u can reference.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...light=red+bugs

side note: the chewables that I got are good until 2019, so if anyone needs one let me know I will have a couple extra.

IT has been about 30 minutes all is well.

#reef2reef, #worldwidecorals,#mywwccontest

OP
OP
loui

loui

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So while on vacation looks like my power went out for an extended peroid of time. Some of my SPS are pale and a couple look almost bleached, but they are showing polyp extension, I am hoping most will pull though. Going to do a small water change tomorrow. Also my elongate dottyback, Yellow watchman goby and Christmas wrasse are MIA. It is not unusual for the wrasse and elongate dottyback to disappear for a day or 2, so I hope they are ok.

OP
OP
loui

loui

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thxs for the kind words Scurvy

Good news all fish are accounted for, but the wrasse and the dotty have not came out to feed yet, so I am hoping they get comfortable again soon.. Corals are looking about the same no worse, which is good, still have good PE. Been checking ALK for 3 days 9.0 Saturday 8.4 Sunday and now 9.1 today not sure about the 8.4 maybe I messed the test up or something (at lease thats what I am hoping for).

OP
OP
loui

loui

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my SPS corals are doing good, but still pale. I think my reef breeders light schedule got change after the power outage and the whites where on way to long and way to strong, it was hard for me to tell, but once I reprogrammed to my custom level the light doesn't look as bright. I did check the program for the lights earlier in the week and it looked like I had the custom config selected but I guess it wasn't. I do have some algae growing on my red planet, I am guessing I lost about half of it. My ALK tested at 9.2 today not sure why over the past 2 weeks I have lowered my daily dose down 6.6ML per day using my BRS doser same was done for my CAL. I am going to leave it alone I am not sure why my ALK is still going up, but I don't want to mess with whats going on inside the tank. I am seeing some growth tips on my pink lemonade and milly so that is good.

I also tested my PO4 and it was 0, this 2 I am not sure why it is reading 0 I have a pretty good cheato ball growing in my overflow maybe this is taking up all the phosphate even though I have been feeding heavy over the past couple of weeks.

I am adding a male and female mccosker wrasse today the male is a bit bigger then the female I hope it works out.

OP
OP
loui

loui

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
latest test

03/12/17
ALK 157 8.8 hanna
CAL 487 hanna
MAG 1380 salifert
PO4 11 0.0337 hanna URL tester.

everything looks good still working on getting ALK and CAL down just a little bit more. Corals are looking better my red planet may need to be cut up basically half the base bleached and is now covered in algae I really don't like looking at it.

I added a McCosker's Flasher Wrasse male, He fit right in 0 fighting between fish could't be happier with the results.

OP
OP
loui

loui

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This weeks readings couldn't be happier with the stability. I lowered my Cal dose one cycle which is 3.3ML per day.
3/26/17
ALK 152 8.5
CAL 473
PO4 11 0.0337

My mccosker flasher wrasse male has fit in like a glove, but the female did not work out very well. I was able to catch her and put her into another aquarium where she is doing good

I added a Koi Fairy Wrasse today, which will be my last fish. So far he has fit in alright a little pushing around by the clown and anthias, but I think it is going to work out well.

SPS colors are looking better, I really think adding more fish is helping. The center SPS Blue Millie is not looking very good, It has good PE, but is slowly receding.

OP
OP
loui

loui

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much to update tank has been doing well. Have been fighting my ALK though I have had to raise my daily doses of CAL and Mag also. ALK is currently at 7.6. I want to get it a little higher. Colors for the corals are looking good since feeding more and adding a couple of new fish. Of course though I am getting a little hair algae and my bubble algae is getting worse. I am going to try Vitality to see if it helps.

OP
OP
loui

loui

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately my Mccosker got out, I Have a cover, but somehow he still got out. Pretty bumbed out about it he was a beautiful fish.

Been battling a little PO4 issue currently have it at .15 been using Se-chem Phosgurd at a much lower then recommended rate, been happy with results so far.

OP
OP
loui

loui

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My PO4 has been holding steady at .15 using sechem phosgard, I am not really seeing any thing negative with having it this high, so I am just in the controlling phase and not looking to take any drastic measures.

I had to raise my dosing of both ALK and CAL by 6ML per day, which to me is a sign the tank is doing well.

Nothing new added.

OP
OP
loui

loui

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ALK 7.7
CAL 462
PO4 .12

I was dosing 46ML per day for ALK and CAL, I have lowered CAL by 4.4ML and added 4.4ML for ALK. Hopefully this will put me in the sweet spot.

OP
OP
loui

loui

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a sweet blasto, miyagi tort and ORA pearl berry from the frag swap in canton Ohio. Will post pics tomorrow.

ALK is at 8.2 and my phosphate are holding steady.

OP
OP
loui

loui

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tank has been doing ok, my phosphates went as high as .4, but I am bringing them down using sechem phosguard. my pink lemonade hasn't looked its best I did move it a little bit re-arranging, but not sure why it is so mad. All corals look decent with phosphates being as high as they are, possibly thats the issue with the lemonade. Starting using red sea coral color program, since dosing I have been testing using sailferts potassium test kit potassium has gone from 310 to 350. I would like to get an iodine test kit to test for yes u guessed it Iodine any suggestions?

I think in the long run to see if the red sea program works best I may need to get a cheap dosing pump, sometimes I forget to dose everyday. currently dosing 2ML per day for each bottle there are 4 different bottles of elements..

IMG_0571.JPG

OP
OP
loui

loui

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank has been doing well. I think the red sea color enhancer has been helpful and I will continue to use it. I bought a salifert potassium test kit at the start of using the red sea kit my potassium was at 320 with a target of 400, It is currently at 400 I did not get other kits to test other parameters I may get Iodine next. I have been bringing down my phosphates and so far I do have 1 SPS coral that is not liking the change, but the others are doing fine.

IMG_0667.JPG

Back