Scratched Aquarium Glass

Cyanohater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed some scratches on the interior of my Reef, likely from my cleaning the glass with a razor. Is there anything I can do to fix this? It is in the water, but not to low if I need to take some water out I can. I'd rather not.

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only fix is to replace the tank. There are glass polishing compounds, but polishing out glass scratches is extremely difficult.

Upvote 0

laezur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately not. I've managed to accidentally do the same, lots of microscratches on my glass. Thankfully you really have to look up close or certain angles, but it's certainly upsetting.

Always check your magnet cleaner to make sure there are no sand particles stuck between the magnets, and replace the blade every now and again.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Cyanohater

Cyanohater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately not. I've managed to accidentally do the same, lots of microscratches on my glass. Thankfully you really have to look up close or certain angles, but it's certainly upsetting.

Always check your magnet cleaner to make sure there are no sand particles stuck between the magnets, and replace the blade every now and again.
I don't use the magnet clean I use the handle one, probably should just replace the blade, not like I'm running out

Upvote 0

Nemo&Friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can polish out lite scratches with baking soda.

The worse part of the scratches for me, is that the glass algae start to grow in the crack, and I cannot get rid of it, as the razor only clean the flat surface. The scratches become much more visible with greenish algae on it. How do you polish with baking soda?

Upvote 0

edd59

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The worse part of the scratches for me, is that the glass algae start to grow in the crack, and I cannot get rid of it, as the razor only clean the flat surface. The scratches become much more visible with greenish algae on it. How do you polish with baking soda?
bring the water line below the scratch. make a paste with baking soda. will only work on very minor scratches.
i polish along with the scratch. google it

Upvote 0

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back