screen top for rimmed tank without screen frame???

smellfishy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone make clips that can be used to hold netting on a rimmed tank instead of using a screen frame?

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't really visualize how you would have a net covering with tension spread without using a screen or acrylic frame.

OP
OP
smellfishy

smellfishy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to use clear netting but a framed screen wont work I need to be able to easily remove for maintenance. The tank is a 150gal long framed tank. There are return lines in each corner of the tank and four in the center opening in each corner all hard plumed from the top.

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the standard 6' x 1.5' 150g framed tanks should have 3 areas where there is a lip on the frame that was originally intended for glass tops. Can you just make 3 screened frames but less the depth for the obstacles/plumbing towards the back of the tank? And then you can just tape a strip of the clear netting to the back of the screened frame so that it just covers some of the uncovered area?

Ratherbeflyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Build your own from acrylic.

IMG_20180518_125532.jpg

Alemoki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might not be the exact answer you're looking for but I made my own DIY mesh tops from electrical conduit and some 90 elbows, zip ties and your colour choice of spray paint.

You can use the elbows to make corners or go around plumbing where needed and the whole frame can rest on top.

Here is my version which just rests on my rimless tank
P1030839.JPG

As stated above you could also possibly do sections then it's easier to remove.

Hope you find a solution that suits you bud.

Edit:
To add, it was also dirt cheap to make this!

jmsilhy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @Alemoki, can you tell us more about your DIY screen? My tank is 48"x20", I don't really like the Red Sea and it's the only one I can find, so I want to DIY mine too.

Thanks!

MarineVet

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use these from amazon
Bluecell 6pcs Clear Color Acrylic Aquarium Fish Tank Glass Cover Clip Support Holder,12mm

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made my screen tops in two pieces for each side (standard 120DT with center brace) The back sections are as small as possible using window screen frame and corners. I cut small slits in them to allow passage of powerhead cables. The little slits almost self-heal to close back up and prevent jumpers.

The front sections cover the rest of the open area and are easily removable for feeding/maintenance.

60Htf6tl.jpg

FWIW - Eggcrate (also known as lighting diffuser) is a less than ideal choice - not that it doesn't work for larger fish - but firstly, it diffuses the light that we pay a pretty penny to get to our corals - sorta counterproductive? Secondly, IME, anything that thinks it might be able to jump through the nearly 1/2" squares does and then finds out all about dry land and why it should have stayed in the tank.

jm.02

puffy127

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use eggcrate for the frame and screened netting zip tied to it for a hybrid approach. It makes cut outs easy. You can make separate ones for each section of your tank frame for easy removal for maintenance:

Alemoki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @Alemoki, can you tell us more about your DIY screen? My tank is 48"x20", I don't really like the Red Sea and it's the only one I can find, so I want to DIY mine too.

Thanks!
Sorry for the late reply!

It's very simple. It's just PVC electrical conduit connected together into a square with the PVC 90° elbows you get at any hardware store. You then paint the frame with Rustoleum or whatever similar spray paint and colour your like.

Once the frame is made you zip tie the mesh you wish to use taught acros the frame and cut away excess.

Came out nice and neat for me. I still think the red sea covers are nicer though

Hope that helps!

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 117 58.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 60 30.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 72 36.2%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 33 16.6%
  • Other

Votes: 58 29.1%
Back