Screwgunners 125

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It started 20 years ago I had a 65 gallon tall with 100 pounds of live rock. Hob overflow . I wanted a in tank overflow so I set out to drill this tank. Nope, never again will i try to drill a tank. So the bottom of the tank is shattered all I had was a 29 gallon .yes a 29 gallon will hold 100 pounds of live rock my fish had no room to swim. Let alone move. Me and the wife went to the lfs they had a 125 set up in the fish room cabinet pump overflows skimmer sump 5 gallons of bio balls. 1k out the door. My wife seen me drooling over it . She said get it. So, she put it on her credit card. She was a non smoker and I had smoked all my life. Well, i quit for her for buying that tank and all the money I would have spent on cigarettes went to live rock fish coral. where I am now.
So, I have a 125 gallon overflows in each corner. 72x18x22 the same wood stand that came with it. 30 gallon sump that has been transformed from 5 gallons of bio ball and a filterpad in a drip tray to a algea turf scubber with a large spunge for filter. It has a 500 watt finnex element heater in it a 40 watt led grow lightbulb 2 10 x 12 plastic mesh screens ruffed up all sides with a 2 inch hole saw. The bulb is in-between the two screens so each screen is only lit on one side.
I have upgraded to DC pumps still have the blueline that came with it. 4000 liter for skimmer and 8000 liter for return pump both jaboa pumps yes they are cheap but I have not had a problem out of either of them . I just took the 4000 liter out with the skimmer. So just the ats and I run activated carbon in a reactor about a cup every other week. And a finnex 800 watt controler for my heater . I do have a 300 watt glass heater in it to in case 500 watts is not anoph. I ordered some 1 quarter inch screen from Amazon and some window frames for screens had to get two I have one divider on top of my aquarium . That is what I use to keep my fish in.
As for the lights I went with phlizon black boxes . 3 of them . I run blues at 60% whites at 15% some of my corals are reaching so I might turn them up slowly. But it has been up for 1 year. My rock had bryed out so it was dead dry rock . I bleached it in a 32 gallon rubber maid trash can. With 110 pounds of rock i could only get 20 gallons of water in it . City water and a gallon of bleach. Let it set for a month. Took rock out let it dry. New 20 gallons of city water for a week took it out let it dry. 20 gallons rodi and instant ocean put in heater and power head with rock. Did not smell bleach any more. Got a fine mesh bag and put a whole cocktail shrimp in it and let it rot away for 8 weeks, rocks cycled. Ready for tank. I went bare bottom so I got some plastic light diffuser from lowes to put on the bottom of my tank. Filled it with rodi water 5 gallon bucket at a time . Took ro buddy 2.5 hours for 5 gallons of water. 20 X,s I had 100 gallons mixed and ready put rock in did not use water in trash can. Still needed 20 gallons to start pump. Let it fun for 2 days put a bottle of Dr. Tims one and only bacteria and a bottle of bio spera . Added 13 fish. 8 green chromis 2 clarkii clowns 1 neon goby 1 wrasse 1 nasso tang. The next morning I had one green chromis caught in the wavemaker. Everyone said he must have been sick . 10 days latter my nasso died. Day 8 he stopped eating. I added a yellow tang . Because of covid he cost me $300 but I always wanted one so it was a toss up between a yellow and a purple. So I asked the wife she said yellow. 9 months latter my wrasse died. So I replaced him with a flame angle. So at one year I have 1 flame angle 1 yellow tang, a one spot fox face , two clarkii clowns, 7 green chromis, 1 neon goby. So I still have 13 fish. Only 3 deaths in a year. So I keep my alkalinity at 7 salinity at 1.025 I have hanna test kits for everything but it is always the same 0 phosphates 0 nitrates. Algea turf scrubber you go. I do add calcium now and then. And my alkalinity drops slowly . I use seachem products like trace reef builder and calcium . So thats it in a nut shell. Happy reefing.

OP
OP
Screwgunner

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20220122_100731.jpg
20220122_100854.jpg
20211228_154010.jpg
20211228_154002.jpg
20211228_153956.jpg
20211228_153950.jpg
20211228_153943.jpg

OP
OP
Screwgunner

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There you go pics. These are a couple months old I started getting red slime as you can see . I bought $120 of snails from Cali. All the way to Indiana is a long hike they arrived in good time but 5 out of 15 turbos did not make it. Buy the time I found out that they were dead it was to late. Nutrients went though the roof. And green hair algea started growing in the display tank. So I started vibrant 7 weeks of dosing 12 ml. Once aweek and green hair just melted all gone. So I stopped using it I did notice the population of white pineapple spunges multiplied very fast with vibrant. Then cyano yes if you use vibrant be ready for the aftermath. So, in comes chemiclean one dose 48 hours 25% water change. No problem. Cyano gone. Yep you got it Dynos this one is alittle tricky . Turned lights to blues only all the way down. Dosed 1ml per 5 gal. Hydrogen peroxide in my 125 with 30 gallon sump I only have 120 gallons water so 24 ml. Twice a day 3% drug store hydrogen peroxide for one week. It nocked it down really well . Stopped peroxide and started Dr. Tims Eco Balance i am on my 2nd dose of it and only have alittle in my frog spawn.

OP
OP
Screwgunner

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There you go pics. These are a couple months old I started getting red slime as you can see . I bought $120 of snails from Cali. All the way to Indiana is a long hike they arrived in good time but 5 out of 15 turbos did not make it. Buy the time I found out that they were dead it was to late. Nutrients went though the roof. And green hair algea started growing in the display tank. So I started vibrant 7 weeks of dosing 12 ml. Once aweek and green hair just melted all gone. So I stopped using it I did notice the population of white pineapple spunges multiplied very fast with vibrant. Then cyano yes if you use vibrant be ready for the aftermath. So, in comes chemiclean one dose 48 hours 25% water change. No problem. Cyano gone. Yep you got it Dynos this one is alittle tricky . Turned lights to blues only all the way down. Dosed 1ml per 5 gal. Hydrogen peroxide in my 125 with 30 gallon sump I only have 120 gallons water so 24 ml. Twice a day 3% drug store hydrogen peroxide for one week. It nocked it down really well . Stopped peroxide and started Dr. Tims Eco Balance i am on my 2nd dose of it and only have alittle in my frog spawn
20220206_072234.jpg
20220206_072224.jpg
20220206_072209.jpg
20220206_072202.jpg

OP
OP
Screwgunner

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty basic looks bare without skimmer. I will put some new pics on when the lights come on.

OP
OP
Screwgunner

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is my screens . I used 3/4 inch conduit bent at 90 degrees and painted flat black drilled hole in the bottom to screw to my stand. To hold my lights up.

OP
OP
Screwgunner

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brs suggested 18 inches above water with these lights. I feed 3 cubes frozen one mysis one brine one omega 1 then after a few hours 2 or 3 pinches of flake and a cube of freeze dried brine. I get a baseball size clump of algea off my screens every week. I am surprised that al I lost over vibrant , chemiclean, and dosing peroxide I only lost my birdsnest. I will get a new one.

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks awesome so far. That tank's going places. I can't wait to see it when you get more corals in there.

OP
OP
Screwgunner

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope so right now I am going through a 3 day black out . Dinos , I just about got them under control and I added a dose of vibrant . Not good for dinos. They exploded again.

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. I don't know that I'll ever want to use vibrant with all the nasty stuff that comes from using it. Hopefully things will turn around soon.

OP
OP
Screwgunner

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like I have heard all tanks are different what it does to mine it might not do to yours . I don't want to give the product a bad review. Because it did clear up my green hair algea but it wasn't worth what came after.

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally understandable. I am thinking of taking advantage of the situation I am in and buying some coralline in a bottle, at least I will if others have had good experiences it. Of course I am going to get the waste away with bacteria still. The bacteria should help quite a bit.

OP
OP
Screwgunner

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is day 3 of my black out day two I turned on the lights on low just blue for a hour to feed my fish boy were they happy. But it looks to be receding, still some in my frogspawn and my exenia. I have some dino x on the way. Phosphates at .03 looks .

OP
OP
Screwgunner

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally understandable. I am thinking of taking advantage of the situation I am in and buying some coralline in a bottle, at least I will if others have had good experiences it. Of course I am going to get the waste away with bacteria still. The bacteria should help quite a bit.
Did you use dry rock to start your tank. If you did you rock will not grow coraline . I got a bunch of snails and all my glass is covered. But I only have little specs on my rock here and there.

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you use dry rock to start your tank. If you did you rock will not grow coraline . I got a bunch of snails and all my glass is covered. But I only have little specs on my rock here and there.

I used half live and half dry. My understanding has always been that it first grows on plastics such as the return and circulation pumps. The glass is usually next. Rock seems to be dead last, whether live or not, if it had none on it at the time it is put into tanks. This assumes coralline spores are introduced using bottled coralline. If we had REAL live rock it would come with coralline already on it but those days are long gone sadly. Unless you are willing and able to pay $25 (by the time shipping and driving to an airport 2 or more hours away to pick it up) or more per pound for maricultured rock.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.8%
Back