OP
Screwgunner

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I removed my algea turf scubber now my nitrates are up and phosphates are at .18 nitrates 10 dinos are gone and coral look very good !!
20220530_154814.jpg
20220530_154752.jpg
20220530_154745.jpg
20220530_154723.jpg
20220530_154648.jpg

OP
OP
Screwgunner

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My xenia and zoas are growing so fast now that I took algea scrubber off . Had to double up on reef builder. Tank is looking better than ever. Added another green chromis. Guy was taking his tank down so I got him he had some fireworks that looked awesome but had aptasia in it . Nope not for me.

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank looks amazing. My dinos are almost completely gone now too. Just curious, does your flame angel ever bother corals or fish? If I upgrade at some point I might want one.

OP
OP
Screwgunner

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank looks amazing. My dinos are almost completely gone now too. Just curious, does your flame angel ever bother corals or fish? If I upgrade at some point I might want one.
This is my 2nd one and I have not had a problem yet . But I keep my coppapods up and he picks at the rocks all day long.

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a nice pod population now and a rock from an established tank with all kinds of life in and on it from a friend of mine. The UV sterilizer, 13 watts at 50 gph flow, is the final blow. The dinos are about extinct.

It will be a while but I will eventually upgrade. At that point I will probably get a flame angel too. It looks amazing. Love the zoas too.

OP
OP
Screwgunner

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I started my tank with a 10x 14 inch screen for my algea turf scubber. D.I.Y. with a 28 watt grow bulb that produces very good algea growth. But , to good at removing phosphate and nitrates. Ran the first 10 months with 0's across the board. And no growth of my corals . Took ats off and started using phosgaurd for phosphates they made it to .21 so I slowly brought it down with phosgaurd got it to .12 and corals started growing like crazy had to double the amount of reef builder to keep up with alkalinity. Keeping that at 7 to 7.3 .
So, I cut my screen so I only had 50 Sq. Inches and put it back on. Phosgaurd is off line and phosphates are going down slow. I am at .1 right now . I do have a lot of fish for a reef tank . It is only 120 gallon system with 14 fish. That are not full grown yet. My montipora (encrusting) is finally spreading to my live rock .

Last edited:
OP
OP
Screwgunner

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, 50 sq. Inches of screen on my algea turf scubber has landed me at .1 phosphates it does not fluctuate at all it stays .1 my corals seem happy and growing nicely. Nitrates are at 8 to 10 back and forth but stable . I got a new birdsnest he is sprouting like crazy . I have only had it for a month and a half. And it has sprouted 1/4 inch branches all over it.
I think I already told you about the new chromis I got to replace the one that died over a year ago. But I am back to 8 of them now. They had eggs all over the left side of my tank. I thought the snails ate them some caviar but not all of them . I have fry in my sump . They seem to be growing . I have started feeding baby brine and plankton. If they make it to 3/4 of a inch I will net them and find a new home for them. Will keep you updated on them.
Well, I have a neon goby and he is now 1.5 years old and I am scared to say but they say they only live 2 years he did not cost much and he is the smallest little guy . I am in no way ready to find him gone one day. He is a awesome little fish. In the morning before the light kicks on he sits top of the highest rock and takes turns cleaning all the fish in the tank. One by one the fish come in and freeze in the water and let him go to town. It is so cool to watch. Now that he is older he stays tourd the bottom of the tank now.

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm glad you're system is doing so well. I can't wait to see pictures of the birdsnest and the chromis fry.

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to get either some chromis or blue damsels eventually. First I need to get more coral.

Thankfully no dinos to speak of for about 3 weeks now so the system is getting more stable each day. By fall I am going to try LPS if my parameters stay stable.

OP
OP
Screwgunner

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to get either some chromis or blue damsels eventually. First I need to get more coral.

Thankfully no dinos to speak of for about 3 weeks now so the system is getting more stable each day. By fall I am going to try LPS if my parameters stay stable.
They have blue chromis they are very nice I have the blue green ones.

OP
OP
Screwgunner

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So , I got a birdsnest from the local fish store . Well, an hour away. Talked them in to braking off a piece of there big one . I glued it on a rock 1 months ago. All the new branches coming off of it are new. About 1/4 inch long. It is growing very fast for a sps.
20220710_123732.jpg

Last edited:

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That birdsnest looks amazing. I am glad it's doing so well. What color is it under whites?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 143 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.3%
Back