Scribbled angel accidentally eat an unknown insect

indeco

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday night my scribbled angel accidentally eat an unknown insect and today his mouth is kind swollen with injury.

I'm currently treating him for internal/external bacteria and parasites with Seachem Metroplex and Kanaplex.

I'm not sure what will be released by the insect within the body, he still eating today but is there anything I can do further?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday night my scribbled angel accidentally eat an unknown insect and today his mouth is kind swollen with injury.

I'm currently treating him for internal/external bacteria and parasites with Seachem Metroplex and Kanaplex.

I'm not sure what will be released by the insect within the body, he still eating today but is there anything I can do further?
I wonder if that was just coincidental? Some insects do contain noxious materials, and reef fish may not have developed an avoidance response to them (i.e., they taste bad to some land animals so they spit them out).
It is unlikely that an infection could have started so quickly, but the Kanaplex is a good idea in case the mouth issue is just coincidental to the eating of the insect. I don't see any indication that Metroplex would be useful though.

Jay

OP
OP
indeco

indeco

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if that was just coincidental? Some insects do contain noxious materials, and reef fish may not have developed an avoidance response to them (i.e., they taste bad to some land animals so they spit them out).
It is unlikely that an infection could have started so quickly, but the Kanaplex is a good idea in case the mouth issue is just coincidental to the eating of the insect. I don't see any indication that Metroplex would be useful though.

Jay

Currently he is still eating well but the swollen mouth is still there, will observe a few more days to see the development.

I'm doing my QT regime and this happened when I'm on the 14 days dosage for Kanaplex and Metroplex treatment.

I have stopped the treatment yesterday for both Kanaplex and Metroplex.

Jay, do you think I should start another round of Kanaplex treatment after 3 days or if the swollen mouth show sign of recovery I should just let nature do the job and feed more?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently he is still eating well but the swollen mouth is still there, will observe a few more days to see the development.

I'm doing my QT regime and this happened when I'm on the 14 days dosage for Kanaplex and Metroplex treatment.

I have stopped the treatment yesterday for both Kanaplex and Metroplex.

Jay, do you think I should start another round of Kanaplex treatment after 3 days or if the swollen mouth show sign of recovery I should just let nature do the job and feed more?
Personally, after 14 days of an antibiotic, if no real improvement is seen, I would change to another broad spectrum, gram negative one. Neoplex is one possibility, but you need to watch to see you don't have a rise in ammonia from that. The other option is, since the fish is eating, to just have the second antibiotric on standby and wait and see.

Jay

OP
OP
indeco

indeco

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, after 14 days of an antibiotic, if no real improvement is seen, I would change to another broad spectrum, gram negative one. Neoplex is one possibility, but you need to watch to see you don't have a rise in ammonia from that. The other option is, since the fish is eating, to just have the second antibiotric on standby and wait and see.

Jay

Sure, I will wait for 3 days to see the progress. If thing is not moving well, then I will start another round of antibiotic treatment.

Today, I saw some white cotton alike stuff on the mouth so this also make me wonder will it be Lymphocystis.

I will update again soon. Thanks.

OP
OP
indeco

indeco

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay

Hi Jay, I have confirmed my scribbled angel is having a mouth infection and is pretty bad.

I have started treating him with Neoplex + Sulfaplex today, luckily the fish is still eating but have started to hide behind the PVC more often.

Is there anything more I can do to help him?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jay, I have confirmed my scribbled angel is having a mouth infection and is pretty bad.

I have started treating him with Neoplex + Sulfaplex today, luckily the fish is still eating but have started to hide behind the PVC more often.

Is there anything more I can do to help him?
No, just keep it calm - if it hiding more, you don’t want to stress it out. Antibiotics can take 5 to 7 days to work. Can you get a picture of the mouth?
Jay

OP
OP
indeco

indeco

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, just keep it calm - if it hiding more, you don’t want to stress it out. Antibiotics can take 5 to 7 days to work. Can you get a picture of the mouth?
Jay

The water get cloudy after 4 hrs of adding the Neoplex and Sulfaplex, I believe is due to neoplex affecting the bacteria?

I have increased the surface tension to provide more oxygen.

Fish still eating but appetite is reduced, not sure is due to the side effect of the medication?

I realised there are a few white spot on the him as well.

Sorry for the quality of the picture, unable to take a clear one due to the cloudy water.

1.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

DoINeedAName?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t help with this, but I will hope for good fortune to come your way. I hope your Angel recovers.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The water get cloudy after 4 hrs of adding the Neoplex and Sulfaplex, I believe is due to neoplex affecting the bacteria?

I have increased the surface tension to provide more oxygen.

Fish still eating but appetite is reduced, not sure is due to the side effect of the medication?

I realised there are a few white spot on the him as well.

Sorry for the quality of the picture, unable to take a clear one due to the cloudy water.

1.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg
As I mentioned, you will definitely need to watch ammonia. Test the ammonia in that tank daily - don't use the API ammonia test kit, and I wouldn't really trust the Seachem badge. You need to ensure that the ammonia level is below 0.25 ppm. If the level rises, you will need to do water changes, and re-medicate.

That mouth injury looks really severe - I'm surprised it is still feeding. Could it have snagged its teeth in a fish net? It also may have gotten startled and run into the tank wall.

The new spots are worrisome - I can't see them in the photo, but if it is ich, then treating for that and the mouth injury and the same time is going to be VERY difficult!@

Jay

OP
OP
indeco

indeco

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I mentioned, you will definitely need to watch ammonia. Test the ammonia in that tank daily - don't use the API ammonia test kit, and I wouldn't really trust the Seachem badge. You need to ensure that the ammonia level is below 0.25 ppm. If the level rises, you will need to do water changes, and re-medicate.

That mouth injury looks really severe - I'm surprised it is still feeding. Could it have snagged its teeth in a fish net? It also may have gotten startled and run into the tank wall.

The new spots are worrisome - I can't see them in the photo, but if it is ich, then treating for that and the mouth injury and the same time is going to be VERY difficult!@

Jay

This tank have been running for 2 months, I believe the biological filter should be able to handle. The cloudiness more or less is cleared now. Did an ammonia test, result is fine 0 ppm.

I started to QT him 16 days ago, everything is going well until the night I saw him ate that insect. The next day morning I saw this mouth infection started so I can only reckon that the infection is caused by the insect.

The white spot is Ich, but I think the fish is able to manage it for now so I will like to focus on treating the mouth infection then follow by Ich.

The feeding response is still good but appetite is reduced, now I'm feed 3 times a day with Pellet + Vitamin C, Nori, frozen prawn.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 171 67.6%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back