Scrub-A-Dub-Dub: How often do you clean your rocks?

How often do you clean your rocks?

  • Daily.

    Votes: 3 1.7%
  • Weekly.

    Votes: 23 13.2%
  • Monthly.

    Votes: 8 4.6%
  • Never.

    Votes: 40 23.0%
  • I only clean my rocks when they look like they need it.

    Votes: 38 21.8%
  • My CUC takes care of the rock cleaning.

    Votes: 58 33.3%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 4 2.3%

  • Total voters
    174

AlyciaMarie

Official R2R Hype Girl
View Badges
Joined
Feb 12, 2024
Messages
5,780
Reaction score
15,478
Location
Chattanooga
What state or country do you live in
Georgia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know about you, but of all the things that need to be cleaned in my reef, I'm not usually thinking about cleaning rocks. For some, it's a routine part of tank maintenance; for others, it's not a thought at all. It can look like simply blowing the debris off with a turkey baster during feeding or a rigorous scrubbing during a water change. Where do you fall?

How often do you clean your rocks?

Kung Fu Wtf GIF by A24
 
I blow off detritus on the rocks every few days. The CUC actually make the detritus, it’s snail and urchin poop.
 
I do that a few times a year. I am actually doing it right now with my DIY diatom filter.



I also stir up my gravel because I run a reverse Undergravel filter and it gets full of detritus and I don't want it to clog.
 
I clean mine;

A) When they look like they need it

B) when I get reminded by a thread such as this
This thread also has reminded me that I should probably clean my rocks, haha.
 
I voted weekly but mostly because the last few months I’ve been dealing with some cyano. I use a turkey baster and it is amazing how much detritus is blown out also.
 
Thanks for reminding me I haven't blown off detritus lately. That's all I think you need to do if you have an adequate CUC.
 
I voted weekly but that is only turkey baster. CUC can't get that out.
 
I never do a full cleaning, but I do blast a section of rock almost daily as well as stir up an arbitrary portion of the sand bed.

Free coral food as far as I’m concerned.
 
When I first started my tank with dry rock I would scrub the rock with a toothbrush to get the algae off. Fast forward 3 years later and the majority of the rock is covered in coralline. I had an urchin in my dt but I had to put it in the sump as I noticed white patches where it was eating the coralline. I do not scrub my rock now. I have tangs thst keep any algae at bay.
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 7 38.9%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 6 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 4 22.2%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 16.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new