Scrubber vs chaeto.

MaddReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need opinions, I have a 450 g. 96x42x24. I want to add either chaeto or algae scrubber, mainly to suck up co2 . Also to be able to reduce my vinegar dosing (100ml). Cant decide which one to choose, scrubber and chaeto.

Journeyman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both. I'm pretty sure the scrubber is more efficient, but both are growing. The chaeto does not grow as fast as it would without the scrubber, but it's not dying.

If I had to choose one or the other, I would run the scrubber.

Bulletsponge

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you were going large refugium i would say chaeto, scrubber is probably going to be better with space constraints just because the algae is going to grow faster in that than a chaeto reactor

Bramzor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will not only consume CO2. If they consume it, they will also consume the other elements so you need to take that into account or those values will drop causing issues for the tank. Also it's not a stable way to export CO2.

CC13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will not only consume CO2. If they consume it, they will also consume the other elements so you need to take that into account or those values will drop causing issues for the tank. Also it's not a stable way to export CO2.

Are you referring to the algae scrubber, chaeto or both?

OP
OP
MaddReefer

MaddReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will absolutely absorb Co2. They will also consume nitrate and phosphates. As far as "elements" Not sure what elements your talking about, I would disagree

Last edited:

symon_say

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chaeto is easier and export nutrients more slowly, scrubber is more efficient but need more maintenance, both work really nice.

And as Bramzor say, any of those will introduce some kind of unbalance to the system until everything sets, but i thinks the pros out weight the cons.

Bramzor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you referring to the algae scrubber, chaeto or both?
Both. Chaeto uses CO2, some iron and nitrate. Algae scrubber uses the same and a bit more. So as an export method Algae scrubber works better. But you need to have something to export else it might compete with corals.

Journeyman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chaeto is easier and export nutrients more slowly, scrubber is more efficient but need more maintenance, both work really nice.

And as Bramzor say, any of those will introduce some kind of unbalance to the system until everything sets, but i thinks the pros out weight the cons.

Depending on your setup, a scrubber can be setup almost as simply as chaeto in a refugium. The upflow ones are just run on an air bubbler under the screen and a light. I run a simple waterfall one on the side of my sump using a hob filter and hanging the screen on the return.

Journeyman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my current scrubber setup on the side of my sump.

20190917_175129.jpg

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not just use a CO2 scrubber and/or increase surface agitation? If the main purpose is to reduce CO2 or increase oxygen?

OP
OP
MaddReefer

MaddReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not just use a CO2 scrubber and/or increase surface agitation? If the main purpose is to reduce CO2 or increase oxygen?

Already have surface agitation and a large fan on the surface. I have a 6ft skimmer , with the air line plumbed outside. I have 7ft ceilings in my house it tends to hold the co2 in more, at least thats what I think. Also leave the window cracked.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 12 26.1%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 38 82.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back