Scuba Diving a Reef

Max Hill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

This isn't an aquarium discussion but i'm not sure where else to post this. I will be traveling to Kona Hawaii before the end of the year and intend to go Scuba diving in addition to snorkeling. I'm looking for any tips n tricks to getting the most out of it. In the past when I have snorkeled the colors have not been as vibrant as in my aquarium. Is there anything I can do to increase the contrast between the colors or something along those lines?

Does anyone have any spots on the island I should go?
Does anyone know where I can find out more about what type of fish and coral they have?

Are there any big Do or Don'ts I should be aware of?

Thank you all,

Max

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're not going to be able to do much to increase coloration. Unfortunately the coral appearance just won't match perception in areas that are heavily trafficked. You have to go to very isolated areas to see the picture perfect reefs.

If I could recommend one thing- do a night dive. Kona is notable for having an excellent manta ray night dive if I recall correctly.

Is this your first time scuba diving? If so I'd be happy to answer any questions. There are several experienced divers here that likely can add their insight.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

This isn't an aquarium discussion but i'm not sure where else to post this. I will be traveling to Kona Hawaii before the end of the year and intend to go Scuba diving in addition to snorkeling. I'm looking for any tips n tricks to getting the most out of it. In the past when I have snorkeled the colors have not been as vibrant as in my aquarium. Is there anything I can do to increase the contrast between the colors or something along those lines?

Does anyone have any spots on the island I should go?
Does anyone know where I can find out more about what type of fish and coral they have?

Are there any big Do or Don'ts I should be aware of?

Thank you all,

Max
scuba mask with red lenses, works for me. Dont touch anything, don't take anything. This is for the safety of the animals and you.

OP
OP
Max Hill

Max Hill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're not going to be able to do much to increase coloration. Unfortunately the coral appearance just won't match perception in areas that are heavily trafficked. You have to go to very isolated areas to see the picture perfect reefs.

If I could recommend one thing- do a night dive. Kona is notable for having an excellent manta ray night dive if I recall correctly.

Is this your first time scuba diving? If so I'd be happy to answer any questions. There are several experienced divers here that likely can add their insight.
I have not dived for a few years (college and all that). I was looking into a recertification class. Do you think thats necessary? I'm in Chicago. Do you know any good places?

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not dived for a few years (college and all that). I was looking into a recertification class. Do you think thats necessary? I'm in Chicago. Do you know any good places?
not necessary, but wise. Get licensed for night dives and nitrox if you have the time.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  • If taking your own gear get it checked or serviced before you go (to include batteries)
  • Hand carry regs do not store in luggage
  • Write name on all your gear
  • Locate your cert cards before you go (open water, nitrox, etc)
  • Pack noted dive cards since they should be requested before you book
  • Update dive insurance before you go if you don't have it I suggest reading up on DAN
  • If any advanced training is planned - book a dive that checks that box (wreck, night, etc)
  • Check dive shops ahead of time before you visit
  • Read some of the reviews if any are available
  • I've read there is a night dive in Kona that is Manta Ray specific
  • Wreck dive

Outside of that do some reading if you haven't already on diving expectations in Hawaii. It is vastly different than say the Caribbean or Monterey. To me Hawaii diving isn't all that great but it does log dives and checks boxes. Marine life is different so that is great. Bring some extra cash for tipping boat crew and dive masters. Maybe do a quick search on top 10 dive locations around Kona.

Just a few quick notes of what I can think of. Calling ahead is the best thing I can recommend. That and doing some quick reading on reviews. That will give you a feel. Then based on your experience and comfort level book whatever sounds fun to you and your party. Personally speaking anytime i'm blowing bubbles and away from the office I'm enjoying life. I can be 115' deep with fins on the sand with nothing around me and I'd be perfectly fine.

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrox is an excellent investment if you plan on diving in the future. You can greatly increase your time underwater. You can take an online PADI course and in person test - about 2-3 hrs total commitment.

I'd echo what is said above about what you will see - great spot for turtles/sharks/larger fish but not so much for coral. But who cares, it's still super cool!

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrox is an excellent investment if you plan on diving in the future. You can greatly increase your time underwater. You can take an online PADI course and in person test - about 2-3 hrs total commitment.

I'd echo what is said above about what you will see - great spot for turtles/sharks/larger fish but not so much for coral. But who cares, it's still super cool!

Turtles are such a huge draw, right? And I 100% agree on Nitrox. I've also noticed less headaches and my throat isn't dry if that makes sense. I don't use it all the time but one of the better certs I have to say - well worth the time!

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turtles are such a huge draw, right? And I 100% agree on Nitrox. I've also noticed less headaches and my throat isn't dry if that makes sense. I don't use it all the time but one of the better certs I have to say - well worth the time!
For sure - my first few dives on regular tanks I felt like I swallowed a migraine lol

Being in shape helps greatly too - any extra effort you expend underwater means you breathe deeper and more often. If you can get some cardio in before your trip (even if just walking) that can go a long way to extending your dive. I say this as a guy with a 30's gut lol

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For sure - my first few dives on regular tanks I felt like I swallowed a migraine lol

Being in shape helps greatly too - any extra effort you expend underwater means you breathe deeper and more often. If you can get some cardio in before your trip (even if just walking) that can go a long way to extending your dive. I say this as a guy with a 30's gut lol

Yeah the whole in shape or at least good cardio goes a long ways. We did a trip back in January and there was an older single diver. She was probably a tick over 70 but still a very young lass. She was first in and last out on every dive. Amazing. And she had several other dive trips scattered around the world this year.

Walking is another great idea!

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any small reef sharks native to Hawaii?

Define small? We saw several Blacktip reef sharks that averaged 4 to 5 feet I'd wager. One day we came across a reef ledge and it was resting under it. Hard to see and most divers missed it as they just went over the structure and never looked under.

Another day we did a wreck in the morning and came up to 3 or 4 of them resting below the hull on the sand. Didn't bother us let alone give us any attention. Just sort of resting there. Took some photos and back to the wreck we went. Lots of Kole tangs which is interesting because they can get so large in the wild vs captivity.

TL; DR - I've seen a few blacktip reef sharks. Not uncommon and harmless.

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Define small? We saw several Blacktip reef sharks that averaged 4 to 5 feet I'd wager. One day we came across a reef ledge and it was resting under it. Hard to see and most divers missed it as they just went over the structure and never looked under.

Another day we did a wreck in the morning and came up to 3 or 4 of them resting below the hull on the sand. Didn't bother us let alone give us any attention. Just sort of resting there. Took some photos and back to the wreck we went. Lots of Kole tangs which is interesting because they can get so large in the wild vs captivity.

TL; DR - I've seen a few blacktip reef sharks. Not uncommon and harmless.
Smaller ones like 2-3ft?

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Smaller ones like 2-3ft?

The only sharks that I saw while diving in Hawaii are the Blacktips. They vary in size but I'd say no larger than 5' at best. Outside of the one wreck dive I usually only came across them in passing. I did not do any dives specifically for them. Also note I do not have a lot of dives in Hawaii so no expert - maybe 20 at best over the years.

If you don't mind diving colder waters Northern California has some of the best diving in the world in Monterey. Pt. Lobos is easily top ten in the world and it isn't uncommon to find the female Leopard sharks release their pups in the protected area. Really cool. Cold water though with the better dive windows between Nov and Feb - cold weather :D

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 135 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back