Sea Hare and Nitrate levels

cj02

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Morning. Reading about Sea Hares and GHA disposal. I have a 300 gal FOWLR with a recent massive hair algae outbreak. Several references allude to Sea Hares not tolerating nitrates very well. Does anyone have an idea on the Nitrate level tolerances of these animals.? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Morning. Reading about Sea Hares and GHA disposal. I have a 300 gal FOWLR with a recent massive hair algae outbreak. Several references allude to Sea Hares not tolerating nitrates very well. Does anyone have an idea on the Nitrate level tolerances of these animals.? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance
From my experience, sea hares may begin to show signs of stress or health issues at nitrate levels higher than 10 ppm but I really have nothing else than personal experience and anecdotes from reefers in my network to back this one up.

I would maybe go with a couple of tuxedo urchins instead? They are known for their ability to consume hair algae in reef aquariums. I have found them very beneficial in my reef aquariums ; i actually have one in all of my four tanks! :D

OP
OP
C

cj02

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much. I put 4 sea hares in my tank and they are munching. My nitrate is 18. So far no signs of stress. I will add a couple of tuxedo urchins as well. This outbreak was bad. I need all the help I can get.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 13.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.6%
Back