Sea Hare

WorldZY

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there!

I'm getting my 1st Sea Hare Saturday and was hoping for some pointers/tips on this sexy slugs!

- Acclimation
- Feeding after they eat all the algae
- etc.

Any advice would be helpful. I'm getting a big water change done tomorrow so I can make sure it's ready for the new home!

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The seahares I’ve kept were algae eaters and once they got finished eating the hare algae I returned them to the fish store for someone else to employ cleaning up another tank. They don’t seem to live very long and may starve once the algae has been cleared.

Please get professional help with your Seahare fetish. These animals deserve to be treated with respect and not abused for their sexiness. :p :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing: :cool:
Happy Mental Health GIF by Oksana Kurmaz Art & Animation

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking to drip acclimate for 2-3 hours. Thoughts?
I didn’t bother. These live in tide pools and sometimes they get exposed at low tide or spend time in shallow pools that get warm with raised salinity. When the tide rises they get flushed with cooler water and survive just fine.

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I'd say put it in an acclimation box to start, just so the other residents get used to it. I added a sea hare, saw it for two days and haven't seen it since. I added sea lettuce slugs too that were cruising on the rock, the next day the six line wrasse looked pregnant it's belly was so full. Not sure if it picked it apart, but in retrospect I think I should have let the residents get used to the new additions through an acclimation box even if they aren't a fish.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hi there!

I'm getting my 1st Sea Hare Saturday and was hoping for some pointers/tips on this sexy slugs!

- Acclimation
- etc.

Any advice would be helpful. I'm getting a big water change done tomorrow so I can make sure it's ready for the new home!
Ive had several over the years and sold them at my LFS. They adapt well and do well. Often they starve once true algae is depleted and its rarely they adapt to nori or veggie tabs. Its simply not enough long term. If they split on their backs- get them out and its rare if ever they ink in the tank.

Auto-pilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure all your powerhead have guards! If they don't place it somewhere safe and get some. They will most definitely get sucked in and die. I had one that died in the first week due to a powerhead. Got sucked into a Nero 3

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Ive had several over the years and sold them at my LFS. They adapt well and do well. Often they starve once true algae is depleted and its rarely they adapt to nori or veggie tabs. Its simply not enough long term. If they split on their backs- get them out and its rare if ever they ink in the tank.
Curious to know your opinion on the imperative on getting them out. I never saw mine again, so I assume it perished in the tank even though it didn't finish the job of eating the algae. I have nem guards on my nero 3 and powerheads and never saw any negative effects on corals. What is the toxicity of them in the tank post death?

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had one ink in my tank nothing happened. Turned the water a purple ink color. It was wild. Skimmer went nuts.

alysak6075

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've kept several Sea Hares over the years, they all ate nori sheets, longest one lived 3 years, and died of old age, slowed down on the food intake in the last weeks, then just never woke up. At the end it was the size of a kitten or a little larger.

None of them ever inked. The only ones that i could never keep were the "Blue ring" sea hares. Brown/Dollabella ones are the hardiest

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Curious to know your opinion on the imperative on getting them out. I never saw mine again, so I assume it perished in the tank even though it didn't finish the job of eating the algae. I have nem guards on my nero 3 and powerheads and never saw any negative effects on corals. What is the toxicity of them in the tank post death?
Not imperative. Ive lost at least one and it just sat there like a log

apung

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've kept several Sea Hares over the years, they all ate nori sheets, longest one lived 3 years, and died of old age, slowed down on the food intake in the last weeks, then just never woke up. At the end it was the size of a kitten or a little larger.

None of them ever inked. The only ones that i could never keep were the "Blue ring" sea hares. Brown/Dollabella ones are the hardiest
Does it clean sand with algae as well? I only see this guy move on the rocks or glass. What's your experience?

findingsimple

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got quite fine sand. Mine will move over it fairly quickly to get to rocks and glass but I’ve never spotted him hanging out on it for lunch and tends to ignore any algae starting on it.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there!

- Acclimation
- etc.

I love my sea hare!!! I supplement his diet with dried nori just to make sure he is good. But the algae in my aquarium is very controlled with him. If putting him in your tank I suggest having lots of hair algae… thats why I got mine. If not you will need nori. I take a piece and kinda stick it in the sand in front of him and he eats it. Just make sure he has algae and he will be good. Also have hermits, these dudes poo like no ones buisness. But hermits go nuts for gis poo…

alysak6075

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it clean sand with algae as well? I only see this guy move on the rocks or glass. What's your experience?
it ate everything on the sand that was not growing in the sand, just pellets and what was sitting on top. It seemed really unhappy to ingest any sand tbh.

But it would cruise all over the place, not just rocks.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 76 34.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.8%

Back