Sea hares for algae control

Damon Jensen

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 7, 2019
Messages
208
Reaction score
160
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There does not seem to be a large community for the sea hare, so let's start one. Let me introduce Bloberta, the Dolabella Auricularia or wedge sea hare. She ( I have no idea of the sex) absolutely devores algae. Suprisingly her tank mates let her be. I often move her from my DT to my refugium to control algae below. I will occasionally feed her algae, just to watch her eat. When she is full she buries herself for a few days.

Any other fans out there? If you have algae issues, you will quickly become a fan

20191220_053856(2).jpg
 
Definitely a fan but haven’t had long-term luck keeping the sea hares healthy with supplemental feedings. They eat A LOT!

How long have you had yours for?
 
I had gotten one in the past month, but within an hour of putting it in the tank it disappeared. Haven’t seen it since. Any known predators of these algae eating machines?
 
There does not seem to be a large community for the sea hare, so let's start one. Let me introduce Bloberta, the Dolabella Auricularia or wedge sea hare. She ( I have no idea of the sex) absolutely devores algae. Suprisingly her tank mates let her be. I often move her from my DT to my refugium to control algae below. I will occasionally feed her algae, just to watch her eat. When she is full she buries herself for a few days.

Any other fans out there? If you have algae issues, you will quickly become a fan

20191220_053856(2).jpg
They are hermaphrodites. They lay eggs that are green brown string but they won't fertilize own eggs. I have not seen anything eat them. It's best to remove when found.
They work great for algea control. I have one in a 75g. Has been in there for more than a year.
 
Definitely a fan but haven’t had long-term luck keeping the sea hares healthy with supplemental feedings. They eat A LOT!

How long have you had yours for?
Well I originally had 2, Blobert, died in about 2 months, Bloberta is 18 months. I may have to get another one and see if they breed.
 
When or if they ink doesn't seem to be toxic and it wont kill the sea hare and won't nuke your tank. I would run carbon and skimmer. I had it ink in my tank a few weeks ago. My fault I tried to remove it from my job skimmer and it inked and turned my tank purple.
 
I had gotten one in the past month, but within an hour of putting it in the tank it disappeared. Haven’t seen it since. Any known predators of these algae eating machines?
They will bury themselves, I can go weeks without seeing mine. When the one died, it was found quickly
 
Well I originally had 2, Blobert, died in about 2 months, Bloberta is 18 months. I may have to get another one and see if they breed.
What size tank. They eat a ton. I would only have one unless one can't keep up
 
They will bury themselves, I can go weeks without seeing mine. When the one died, it was found quickly
They look like rock they can be hard to find. But I see mine a the time.
 
What size tank. They eat a ton. I would only have one unless one can't keep up
200 gl, you are probably correct about keeping 2. I had one for the main tank and one for the sump. The smaller one died
 
When or if they ink doesn't seem to be toxic and it wont kill the sea hare and won't nuke your tank. I would run carbon and skimmer. I had it ink in my tank a few weeks ago. My fault I tried to remove it from my job skimmer and it inked and turned my tank purple.
thats the reason ive always been afraid to get one
 
When or if they ink doesn't seem to be toxic and it wont kill the sea hare and won't nuke your tank. I would run carbon and skimmer. I had it ink in my tank a few weeks ago. My fault I tried to remove it from my job skimmer and it inked and turned my tank purple.
I believe they can be toxic, but like sea slugs it is more about the stress...and carbon
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new