Sea Hares mating and eggs

dkegflorida

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I must have had some sea hare eggs on some plants for my tank because I never bought any and one day I noticed 2 sea hares in my tank. That was about 6 weeks ago and now they are mating and laying eggs everywhere! I egg survived and is the size of the older ones already. I have been scraping the eggs off and discarding as I don't want anymore of them.

Attachments

• IMG_4828 (1).mp4
    14.6 MB

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I must have had some sea hare eggs on some plants for my tank because I never bought any and one day I noticed 2 sea hares in my tank. That was about 6 weeks ago and now they are mating and laying eggs everywhere! I egg survived and is the size of the older ones already. I have been scraping the eggs off and discarding as I don't want anymore of them.
Nice video!

I'm not an expert, but I believe these sea hares may be Bursatella leachii - if so, these actually become capable of reproduction after 2-3 months, then die shortly after mating. I'm not sure how long they last after mating, but I can't imagine them lasting too terribly long (based on their short lifespans and on the similar behaviors of many cephalopods, I'd guess probably a week or two at the most). How many egg casings have you had in your tank?

Also, for clarification here, you had one of the eggs hatch, develop, and settle into a new sea hare (now nearly the same size as the two adults) in your tank, yes?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Nice- its amazing as to what their masses look like. Some look like silly string

OP
OP
D

dkegflorida

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice video!

I'm not an expert, but I believe these sea hares may be Bursatella leachii - if so, these actually become capable of reproduction after 2-3 months, then die shortly after mating. I'm not sure how long they last after mating, but I can't imagine them lasting too terribly long (based on their short lifespans and on the similar behaviors of many cephalopods, I'd guess probably a week or two at the most). How many egg casings have you had in your tank?

Also, for clarification here, you had one of the eggs hatch, develop, and settle into a new sea hare (now nearly the same size as the two adults) in your tank, yes?
They first two started laying eggs about 4 weeks ago. And yes, on Oct 8 I saw a sea hare only 1" long and now it is the size of the parents and all 3 are laying eggs now.

OP
OP
D

dkegflorida

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took one from the main tank and put inside my indoor tank to clean up some algae. It already had eggs and deposited them 2 days after being in the tank :-(

Attachments

• IMG_2903.mp4
    18.9 MB

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They first two started laying eggs about 4 weeks ago. And yes, on Oct 8 I saw a sea hare only 1" long and now it is the size of the parents and all 3 are laying eggs now.
Interesting. Now I’m curious how long the mating process goes, and how long it will take for the mating pair to die.

Anyway, if it is Bursatella leachii, the article I’ve found on rearing them says the eggs take ~8-9 days to hatch, and the larvae go through ~30-35 days as planktonic larvae before settling. So, I don’t know how long it takes for these guys to reach 1” in size, but if ~4 weeks is accurate, you most likely had that third one in your tank prior to the other two mating.

I honestly wouldn’t expect any survivors from the eggs in a normal tank, especially if you’re not dosing phyto regularly, so I wouldn’t worry too much about having a sea hare population explosion in your tank.

OP
OP
D

dkegflorida

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. Now I’m curious how long the mating process goes, and how long it will take for the mating pair to die.

Anyway, if it is Bursatella leachii, the article I’ve found on rearing them says the eggs take ~8-9 days to hatch, and the larvae go through ~30-35 days as planktonic larvae before settling. So, I don’t know how long it takes for these guys to reach 1” in size, but if ~4 weeks is accurate, you most likely had that third one in your tank prior to the other two mating.

I honestly wouldn’t expect any survivors from the eggs in a normal tank, especially if you’re not dosing phyto regularly, so I wouldn’t worry too much about having a sea hare population explosion in your tank.
Thanks for the info. I will see what happens...

OP
OP
D

dkegflorida

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious how long they have eggs inside them. Attached is a video of my sea hare today (that I moved to my inside aquarium 5 days ago) and its laying eggs for second time.

Attachments

• IMG_4999.mp4
    7.1 MB

OldRed1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dumb question, but how do I get the video to load?

OP
OP
D

dkegflorida

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

UPDATE - 8 weeks now since the first eggs were laid and the two are still moving along eating algae. As you suspected, I haven't seen any new ones but I haven't been diving inside the tank in 2 weeks.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 22.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back