sea hares / sea slugs

tailoftwogobies

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 27, 2021
Messages
117
Reaction score
159
Location
south florida
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi y’all… we were in our LFS today and overheard the owner telling his main guy that he found the ‘sea slug dead’ in one of their tanks and they need to immediately do a water change & that the water was cloudy in that tank due to the slug dying.. we have one in our sump and i’m curious, if it was to pass away would we need to do an immediate water change or have any of you heard of this?
 
When mine passed away I believe I got to it within 12 hours (possibly died overnight). Water seemed fine and I didn't do any water changes and saw nothing abnormal. Not sure the cause of death, it was the only animal that died within a few months. I do run carbon in a reactor.

This is just my experience with one.
 
It really depends on the species. Lettuce sea slugs or berghia will not nuke your tank for example. 'Nuking' here defined as releasing toxins/poison that can likely quickly kill everything. Obviously they would cause elevated nutrients from decomposition, but that applies to all live stock so I don't count that as 'nuking'. Berghis can let lose of their 'frills', but that generally don't 'nuke' your tank.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 3 4.5%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 18 27.3%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 28.8%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 8 12.1%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 4 6.1%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 10.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 4 6.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new