Sea Hares

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anybody have any expiriance with these? Do they eat calurpa(sp?) as good as I have read? I need something to eat this crap out of my tank and adding a tang or something at this point is impossiable plus I wouldn't want anything that might eat my presious zoanthids.....Thanks

James

da6d2003

Definately OCD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't had caleurpa for a long time, but they eat the heck out of hair algae.

OP
OP
Azurel

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I have heard that, I don't have any hair algea but I got calurpa comming out my bum. It is growing into my zoas and I dont like that....When I had a scopas tang he had the tank completely cleared of it. He had to go into qt and died shortly after. I really cant add any more fish to my tank.....It's only a 40g long.

jonbar1

Growing Out
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like I need to find some Sea Hares! I've got Calulerpa and Bryopsis going crazy requiring almost daily plucking. I am using a protein skimmer rated for a tank much larger than mine and do a lot of watechanges and it doesn't seem to be putting a dent on it's growth. I recently added a bunch of red legged hermits and a lettuce nudi, and of course they just eat around it.

Jon

jessiesgrrl

Hasslehoff is NOT Hot!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Azurel said:
Yea I have heard that, I don't have any hair algea but I got calurpa comming out my bum. It is growing into my zoas and I dont like that....When I had a scopas tang he had the tank completely cleared of it. He had to go into qt and died shortly after. I really cant add any more fish to my tank.....It's only a 40g long.

Harvest it, sell it to a LFS? Or into a refugium? I build up LFS credit like that, for coral discounts.

:D
Laurie

JGoslee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one for awile. It ate just about any kind of algae. Awesome addition to a tank IMO. Unfortunately mine got sucked into my tunze stream and died. It released the black ink into my tank but it didnt effect anything. I really dont think its that toxic.

OP
OP
Azurel

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would Laurie but no place here will take it, cause the don't want it either. I would ship you some but it would just grow back and that is the problem. I might have to try one out here....Another question for ya's. Will a sixline wrasse kill a fire shrimp? I had one for about 2 years and it was there the other day after I added my sixline and now I can't find it. How long do they hide for after they molt? It's been about 3 days or so that I havent seen it. My clown liked to go to it for cleaning.

jessiesgrrl

Hasslehoff is NOT Hot!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Azurel said:
I would Laurie but no place here will take it, cause the don't want it either. I would ship you some but it would just grow back and that is the problem. I might have to try one out here....Another question for ya's. Will a sixline wrasse kill a fire shrimp? I had one for about 2 years and it was there the other day after I added my sixline and now I can't find it. How long do they hide for after they molt? It's been about 3 days or so that I havent seen it. My clown liked to go to it for cleaning.

How about selling it on Ebay?

I have a sixline and a fire shrimp, as well as a coral banded and peppermint. They are all doing well together, and the 6 line was added last. It's a big tank though, and they are all well fad- the 6 line is a roly poly little guy. I'm thinking about trappuing the peppermint after seeing Luciano's experience with them...

Now of course that I say that, he'll eat them...

<grin>
Laurie

JGoslee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
coralnutz said:
JGoslee said:
I had one for awile. It ate just about any kind of algae. Awesome addition to a tank IMO. Unfortunately mine got sucked into my tunze stream and died. It released the black ink into my tank but it didnt effect anything. I really dont think its that toxic.

How large is your tank?

Mine's only a 37 and thinks get VERY rough for a long time when mine died :(

I think the ammount of water you have to dilute it would depend on how toxic it is..
The seahare was about 6" and the tank is a 58gal.

epidemic

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few from fritz and they work great. Jeremiah- I bought two from him and they cleaned out every bit of HA. So much so that I -plan on getting rid of one so they both dont starve. If you want it ill trade it to you for a frag or just $10. They do work great though for hair algae and bryopsis.

organism

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure how good a job they'd do on caulerpa, since I think they mainly eat hair algae. I've seen them in tanks with caulerpa and they didn't touch a thing in there, probably ended up starving to death. The ink isn't that toxic if the tank is over 30 gallons or so, in my opinion, and some carbon will clean it out really quickly if it's a problem. The only thing I've seen that eats macros heavily is a scribbled rabbitfish, but they like to have some roaming space

Also, if you're going to sell the caulerpa on ebay, make sure you add something about not shipping to cali (and some other states probably) since it's illegal from freakin people flushing them and it ending up in the ocean

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back