Sea horse expecting fry, need kriesel and bbs hatchery

Renatamcl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello - I've had sea horses for a few years and have had all females after a tragedy befell a male (gas bubble disease in his pouch). However, I recently "rescued" a male because he looked so sad and lonely (owner tore down his tank) in a dark corner, not interacting with his tankmates. It only took him 2 hours and he started dancing around one of my females. Yup, so now his pouch is definitely looking promising and there is very little time to prepare. I need help finding a kriesel tank for the fry, and a baby brine shrimp hatchery set up. All words of wisdom will be greatly appreciated.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R, tons of great people and info here! :)

I know nothing about horses bet let's see if we can get you some insight!

#reefsquad

@SeahorseKeeper

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I apologise, I know nothing of seahorses except that they're really neat creatures. But still wanted to welcome you to R2R. This is definitely the place for someone to have your answer for you, they'll chime in sooner or later ;)
001aaa.gif
#WelcometoR2R

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have the right tools you can build one in an hour or so for maybe $30 or less. Even if you have the wrong tools you can do it in a day if you don't mind cutting up your hands a bit. You will also need a small pump and a tiny bit of hose for the pump.

Materials needed :
10 gallon aquarium - any condition that holds water $10
5 gallon water jug or bucket - should be free as everyone has these but worst case $5
knife / saw / dremel something that will cut the plastic well
super glue $1
silicone $5
mesh filter sock $10? don't recall this price off hand.

Cut the bucket or jug to fit into the 10 gallon. This includes cutting right through the jug so it's open at the top. Also cut a hole into the middle of the jug. This is where water will pass through it. Glue mesh filter sock over the hole. I'm not sure what micron you need for seahorse babies but that information should be easy enough to find. As long as the holes are small enough the seahorses can't escape you're good. Silcone the jug/bucket along the sides.

After it cures put a small powerhead or pump in the other side and have the hose go over top into the jug. The water will pass through the filter sock and everything should remain suspended. I just built one last week for sexy shrimp. As you may have guessed I did not have proper tools to cut the 5 gallon water jug but I did not let that stop me.

IMG_8374.JPG

Excuse the messy silicone I'm going to clean the inside of the jug up a bit before I use it but I can't reach the bottom. You can kinda see the far right of the jug where the filter sock was glued to the opening. There surprisingly isn't that much information about making these online but they are really really simple. So simple I managed to build it, so I'm sure you can too. The pump, a heater and some kind of filtration can sit inside the tank outside of the kriesel. BTW how do you pronounce kriesel? Something I have been wondering and replying to this thread is the perfect opportunity to ask.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and your new reefing family. I'm not in to the ponies myself, but congrats on saving the male. You may want to browse through the forum below - it may have some information you're looking for as well.

https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/seahorse-pipefish.377/

OP
OP
R

Renatamcl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I apologise, I know nothing of seahorses except that they're really neat creatures. But still wanted to welcome you to R2R. This is definitely the place for someone to have your answer for you, they'll chime in sooner or later ;)
001aaa.gif
#WelcometoR2R

Thank you - yes, they are. They are surprisingly playful with me, and each one has a unique personality. ;Playful

OP
OP
R

Renatamcl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have the right tools you can build one in an hour or so for maybe $30 or less. Even if you have the wrong tools you can do it in a day if you don't mind cutting up your hands a bit. You will also need a small pump and a tiny bit of hose for the pump.

Materials needed :
10 gallon aquarium - any condition that holds water $10
5 gallon water jug or bucket - should be free as everyone has these but worst case $5
knife / saw / dremel something that will cut the plastic well
super glue $1
silicone $5
mesh filter sock $10? don't recall this price off hand.

Cut the bucket or jug to fit into the 10 gallon. This includes cutting right through the jug so it's open at the top. Also cut a hole into the middle of the jug. This is where water will pass through it. Glue mesh filter sock over the hole. I'm not sure what micron you need for seahorse babies but that information should be easy enough to find. As long as the holes are small enough the seahorses can't escape you're good. Silcone the jug/bucket along the sides.

After it cures put a small powerhead or pump in the other side and have the hose go over top into the jug. The water will pass through the filter sock and everything should remain suspended. I just built one last week for sexy shrimp. As you may have guessed I did not have proper tools to cut the 5 gallon water jug but I did not let that stop me.

IMG_8374.JPG

Excuse the messy silicone I'm going to clean the inside of the jug up a bit before I use it but I can't reach the bottom. You can kinda see the far right of the jug where the filter sock was glued to the opening. There surprisingly isn't that much information about making these online but they are really really simple. So simple I managed to build it, so I'm sure you can too. The pump, a heater and some kind of filtration can sit inside the tank outside of the kriesel. BTW how do you pronounce kriesel? Something I have been wondering and replying to this thread is the perfect opportunity to ask.

Wow!!!! That's wonderful information, thank you! You're right, I've seen some pictures online, but there weren't many explanations about needs, options and placement ideas - and I was disappointed that there weren't any offered for sale. So thank you for your detailed recipe - it will be very helpful. Kriesel sounds German or European, so my guess on pronunciation would be something like either cry-sell, or kreeasul, with the r getting a nice roll in both cases. Wiki says it means gyro, but didn't offer any tips on pronunciation. Ok, looks like I'm going shopping....;Happy

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really easy for brine shrimp. Get a 2 liter bottle...I think a clear one would work best but I did use a mt dew one since I had it on hand. Cut the bottom off about 4 inches from the bottom. Drill a hole through the side and through the cap of the bottle. This is where you will out your air tubing into the bottle. I have mine sticking out just a hair from the cap. Then superglue around it....fill with some tank water, hook up air pump, I tied a knot in the tubing so it cuts back on the bubbles a bit. Add the eggs, and wait 24 hours. Then they should be hatched

OP
OP
R

Renatamcl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
R

Renatamcl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really easy for brine shrimp. Get a 2 liter bottle...I think a clear one would work best but I did use a mt dew one since I had it on hand. Cut the bottom off about 4 inches from the bottom. Drill a hole through the side and through the cap of the bottle. This is where you will out your air tubing into the bottle. I have mine sticking out just a hair from the cap. Then superglue around it....fill with some tank water, hook up air pump, I tied a knot in the tubing so it cuts back on the bubbles a bit. Add the eggs, and wait 24 hours. Then they should be hatched

Thank you! Nifty idea about the knot in the tubing. So it really is that quick - just 24 hours? It does sound fairly simple to put together. How did you get them out?

OP
OP
R

Renatamcl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and your new reefing family. I'm not in to the ponies myself, but congrats on saving the male. You may want to browse through the forum below - it may have some information you're looking for as well.

https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/seahorse-pipefish.377/

On my, there are a ton of posts - thank you! Looks like I'll find all kinds of interesting and helpful information there. I appreciate it. :)

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! Nifty idea about the knot in the tubing. So it really is that quick - just 24 hours? It does sound fairly simple to put together. How did you get them out?
Used the tubing, like a syphon. Unhook from air pump, keep it above the level of the water, untie knot, then lower it to your tank with the bottle higher than the tank, it will gravity feed through the tubing. If not decaps eggs thought, unhook air, keep it higher than bottle, put light at the bottom, wait 10 min for the eggs too float, then empty but stop when gets closer to the shells... better of with decapped eggs...no worries then

Rispa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that was definitely helpful information - thank you very much! I had thought of the brine, but the mysis never crossed my mind. :)
That's just the one I have bookmarked. They have several other articles as well

OP
OP
R

Renatamcl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used the tubing, like a syphon. Unhook from air pump, keep it above the level of the water, untie knot, then lower it to your tank with the bottle higher than the tank, it will gravity feed through the tubing. If not decaps eggs thought, unhook air, keep it higher than bottle, put light at the bottom, wait 10 min for the eggs too float, then empty but stop when gets closer to the shells... better of with decapped eggs...no worries then

Ahh, ok - thanks!

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 30.4%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 17 21.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 26.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back